NBN users: what did you do with your old phone points?

That makes sense. Slight change of tack, given we are talking voltages at low levels: PC USB charger delivers 2.5 Watts of power (5 volts at 500 mA), or 900mA for USB 3.  Could I change every phone jack point into a USB charging location using the (isolated) in-house formerly-phones network?

This is the sort of question a novice asks about electrical things. I'm sure there's a reason why not)

From memory twisted pair could carry some decent current. I think traditionally was 50v which is what was required to power the phone and indeed make the bell ring.
USB also uses a pair for charging.
Because most premesis had a single twisted pair (Sometimes 2 for second line) and generally mounted in skirting boards or low on walls could just attach some leds and send power through small transformer.

If i ever had the chance i would redo all the house lighting with cat5/6 and use it to power led lights.

I mean .. why do you need 240v in your ceiling to power lights that can be done much cheaper and safer and you can DIY. ???

11 hours ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

That makes sense. Slight change of tack, given we are talking voltages at low levels: PC USB charger delivers 2.5 Watts of power (5 volts at 500 mA), or 900mA for USB 3.  Could I change every phone jack point into a USB charging location using the (isolated) in-house formerly-phones network?

This is the sort of question a novice asks about electrical things. I'm sure there's a reason why not)

Depends what gauge wiring has been used.  Normally it is quite thin and wouldn't be able to carry much power.   You will need to determine what gauge wiring is there, how much power that can safely carry (including factoring in anything else relevant).

10 hours ago, Snapper() said:

From memory twisted pair could carry some decent current. I think traditionally was 50 volts which is what was required to power the phone and indeed make the bell ring.

You seem to be mixing up volts and current.   Achtung.

I was just being lazy .. have engineering degree. The pair is solid core and not sure of current load but the point being it could easily carry power for low ppwer lights. A 10w led is equivalent of about 60w light.

I have no active PSTN connection in my place as ive used VOIP and mobile only for past 5 years so will try it out in next few weeks