Jump to content

DIY - HiFi Racks - Stands - Cabinets


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a rack and isolation platforms I designed with consultation and emotional support from my partner. Ross at RTF design did the hard work and built the thing - he’s a real gentleman and patientl

Thought I'd share my story.. Was wanting a new rack to replace my currente entertainment  which was a bit too large now that TV is wall mounted.  This is my first attempt at anything remotel

I have just finished this rack for a member here.Solid jarrah. Each shelf unit can be lifted off for easy access to equipment and is located by horizontal dowels which sit in V grooves routed int

1 hour ago, zedls1 said:

Looks great daz. How thick are the panels?

 

John

 

Thanks, John.  The panels are 18mm thick. I finished them with some leftover Osmo polyx oil from another furniture restoration project.

Edited by daz
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 07/11/2020 at 2:43 PM, daz said:

Just finished making a variation of the TNT flexy rack for my home office setup. Used solid beech timber panels cut to size at Bunnings. Very easy to drill and assemble. Pretty happy with the results.

61FEB40D-CB54-4F3C-BDAB-1A611FED4C21.jpeg

nice

how did you terminate the rods at very bottom ends at the floor? 

I thinking of a similar project but it will rest on carpet over concrete slab not wood

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/10/2020 at 2:18 PM, zedls1 said:

Well, a little.

The columns and bits weighed in at 12kg so air freight was costly,

The Decoply in sheet form and then cut to size and bevel edge finish wasn't too bad when you break it down per platform, off course not taking into account my time.

Learnt a bit and would tweak it for next one or two. if I have time.

Good work. Can you post a link to the supplier of the tubing and spikes What was the freight? Thx.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


21 hours ago, Lazz said:

Good work. Can you post a link to the supplier of the tubing and spikes What was the freight? Thx.

I used Ali express, it was just a matter of searching the site, try keying in hi fi rack,  it will bring up products showing complete racks but some give you the option just to order the columns and spikes,  it was tricky finding the right supplier, Yeah freight is a killer as they're meatal and weighty, 12 kg eg is around $200,  by air with Fedex (3-5 days) as an example, it varies, sea freight will be cheaper but delivery time is longer off course.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/11/2020 at 12:43 PM, daz said:

Just finished making a variation of the TNT flexy rack for my home office setup. Used solid beech timber panels cut to size at Bunnings. Very easy to drill and assemble. Pretty happy with the results.

61FEB40D-CB54-4F3C-BDAB-1A611FED4C21.jpeg

How did you get Bunnings to cut them to size?  My local store told me that they don't do "project sizes";  that they cut stuff just to get it into your car.  Maybe it was just the unpleasant kid I go when I rang.  My local has plenty of unpleasant kids.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/11/2020 at 11:08 PM, wasabijim said:

nice

how did you terminate the rods at very bottom ends at the floor? 

I thinking of a similar project but it will rest on carpet over concrete slab not wood

Just adhesive felt pads on the bottom of the rods. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Antipodean Brad said:

How did you get Bunnings to cut them to size?  My local store told me that they don't do "project sizes";  that they cut stuff just to get it into your car.  Maybe it was just the unpleasant kid I go when I rang.  My local has plenty of unpleasant kids.

Sounds like it. I simply went up to their cutting shop and asked them to cut to size. They happily obliged and did it for free.

Edited by daz
Link to post
Share on other sites


A simple CD rack, made from 9mm steel rod and Karri. It’s based on a commercial design that doesn’t store enough CDs. I simply cut the rods to length, drilled and tapped the ends on a lathe, and cut up some 1800 x 600 x 18 Karri from Bunnings for the sides. I used the smaller commercial rack as a template for drilling the side pieces, and made some feet from Karri off cuts, planed to a nice shape.

 

It stores about 680 CDs. I’ve just about filled it. I’ll have to build another shortly.

3C0D3CE6-8596-4151-B5A9-4776A32B8358.jpeg

  • Like 8
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/12/2020 at 10:31 PM, Suzyj said:

A simple CD rack, made from 9mm steel rod and Karri. It’s based on a commercial design that doesn’t store enough CDs. I simply cut the rods to length, drilled and tapped the ends on a lathe, and cut up some 1800 x 600 x 18 Karri from Bunnings for the sides. I used the smaller commercial rack as a template for drilling the side pieces, and made some feet from Karri off cuts, planed to a nice shape.

 

It stores about 680 CDs. I’ve just about filled it. I’ll have to build another shortly.

3C0D3CE6-8596-4151-B5A9-4776A32B8358.jpeg

 

Nice work, and something I've been thinking about for a while now, myself. I have some of the commercial racks, similar to your design, and something I noticed is the CDs on your racks are sitting on only one bar, with two bars at the back, that they rest against. On mine, the CDs sit on the lower two bars, with only the one bar at the back, to rest against. Not sure what difference it makes, apart from the angle the CDs are presented at is less tilted back.

 

Apart from the lack of storage space in the commercial ones, as you pointed out, the other draw back I find is that you are constantly shuffling the CDs between shelves when trying to fit more new CDs in, especially in the narrower racks. The ones I have are

 

1  X 400mm wide shelf space with 9 shelves = about 320 CDs

2 X 235mm wide shelf space with 9 shelves = about 180 CDs each

1  X 400mm wide shelf space with 7 shelves = about 240 CDs

And they are full. (about 900 CDs)

 

What I was thinking is to replace them with 3 X 500mm wide shelf spaces, with 10 shelves to give about 450 CDs per rack.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

 

...and something I noticed is the CDs on your racks are sitting on only one bar, with two bars at the back, that they rest against. On mine, the CDs sit on the lower two bars, with only the one bar at the back, to rest against. Not sure what difference it makes, apart from the angle the CDs are presented at is less tilted back.

I can put the CDs in either way. The top four rows rest on top of the lower back bar, and the rest of the rows have the CDs inserted so the bar is behind.

 

This just makes it a bit easier to read the CD spines on the lower ones without bending over as much. I use this as well to flag CDs to make them easy to find - I just insert a CD so it opposes it's neighbours and then I can find it easily.

 

I think when I outgrow this one I'll just make longer bars (from 12mm steel rod so they don't flex). I reckon I could easily do 1.2m wide (~1200 CDs).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


very nice addition of the rollers and gold tubing

I've been trying to find reducing coupling bolts - something like M16 to M8/M6 so I can terminate with carpet spikes. I think my brother has access to a wielder so that might be the simplest options  

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, wasabijim said:

very nice addition of the rollers and gold tubing

I've been trying to find reducing coupling bolts - something like M16 to M8/M6 so I can terminate with carpet spikes. I think my brother has access to a wielder so that might be the simplest options  

That tubing is  Chrome Curtain Rod from bunnings precision cut into 23 cm pieces. I tried to get the rollers and thought I would just screw em to the thread but they don't come in m16 size. So had an M16 nut welded to smaller size nut that came with rollers. 

Edited by gillmaverick
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Non skilled newbies DIY Audio shelf

 

Have purchased new DAC and is way big for desktop shelf that I currently have. However I have no skill in wood working or proper tools..  

 

Plus been doing too much upgrade on the audio gear wallet is on real thin end.

 

So had to come up with easy and cheap build.  So went to bunnings and Ikea to start the build.

 

Below is what I got from Bunnings;

 

1 x Sandleford 19 x 1200mm Stainless Steel Tube Rod (https://www.bunnings.com.au/sandleford-19-x-1200mm-stainless-steel-tube-rod_p4821935)

16 x Sandleford 19mm Chrome Oval Flange - 2 Pack (https://www.bunnings.com.au/sandleford-19mm-chrome-oval-flange-2-pack_p4821973)

 

And main part, from Ikea.  As I do not have wood working skill or proper saw, had to get something that did not need to be cut.  Bamboo chopping board looked to fit perfectly to my need.

 

3 x LÄMPLIG (https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/laemplig-chopping-board-bamboo-20309828/)

 

So in all total cost came to be $118.67.

 

Only tool required was Drill and hacksaw.

 

First try but happy with out come as I am not much of DIYer.

 

 

 

 

20201213_092420.jpg

20201212_212436.jpg

20201213_104729.jpg

20201213_110228.jpg

 

20201222_111403.thumb.jpg.4ec6a558e1555cf8a3100672dea3359d.jpg

 

 

Edited by xtiva2000
updated photo
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


  • 4 weeks later...

Finished off this rack I built for my folks for Xmas. Built entirely from 42 x 42 mm ash, oh, and a few bits of 12 mm dowel. Fairly happy with it for my first woodworking project. I bit of a prototype for when I do my own rack.

PXL_20210103_022204199.jpg

PXL_20210102_072843438.jpg

PXL_20210102_072819191.jpg

PXL_20210102_072811887.jpg

PXL_20210102_072733414.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KDoomed said:

Finished off this rack I built for my folks for Xmas. Built entirely from 42 x 42 mm ash, oh, and a few bits of 12 mm dowel. Fairly happy with it for my first woodworking project. I bit of a prototype for when I do my own rack.

PXL_20210103_022204199.jpg

PXL_20210102_072843438.jpg

PXL_20210102_072819191.jpg

PXL_20210102_072811887.jpg

PXL_20210102_072733414.jpg

 

Superb!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Knocked this up just before Christmas.

Will take a much bigger amp or two,

 

ResizerImage1600X1200.thumb.jpg.3c193224670cf354fd63b7e210eda72b.jpg

 

regards Bruce

 

Edited by sloper
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 08/01/2021 at 10:56 PM, KDoomed said:

Finished off this rack I built for my folks for Xmas. Built entirely from 42 x 42 mm ash, oh, and a few bits of 12 mm dowel. Fairly happy with it for my first woodworking project. I bit of a prototype for when I do my own rack.

PXL_20210103_022204199.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Incredibly well done, especially if it's your first woodworking project. I have enough problems cutting a straight line much less clean curves like you have.

 

How were the curved sides done? Bandsaw?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Built some matching stands for my Dentons and they look quite handsome, but as with timber stands not nearly heavy enough and not quite inert. Also realised I should have made the base larger for added stability. The combined weight of speaker and stands make them quite stable, but can still be rocked if pushed hard from the side.

 

Have also stuck on some velcro pads to couple the speakers to the stands to ensure it's dog/wife proof.

 

Still undecided if I should stain the timber to match the speakers., hmm

 

PXL_20210109_003814479.thumb.jpg.c481fef5fef61dd724d9bbee9eaace83.jpg

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, spamnoj said:

Built some matching stands for my Dentons and they look quite handsome, but as with timber stands not nearly heavy enough and not quite inert. Also realised I should have made the base larger for added stability. The combined weight of speaker and stands make them quite stable, but can still be rocked if pushed hard from the side.

 

Have also stuck on some velcro pads to couple the speakers to the stands to ensure it's dog/wife proof.

 

Still undecided if I should stain the timber to match the speakers., hmm

 

PXL_20210109_003814479.thumb.jpg.c481fef5fef61dd724d9bbee9eaace83.jpg

 

Nice looking timber 👍

 

I've seen some stands similar to that where they have added a vertical post made out of pvc or metal rod painted black, one in front and one behind the timber post. Might add some stability?

 

I see you also have a paver of some sort under your REL - I use foam mat with a sandstone paver (makes moving/sliding easier too) :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Nice looking timber 👍

 

I've seen some stands similar to that where they have added a vertical post made out of pvc or metal rod painted black, one in front and one behind the timber post. Might add some stability?

 

I see you also have a paver of some sort under your REL - I use foam mat with a sandstone paver (makes moving/sliding easier too) :)

Thanks mate was considering mounting some sort of steel plate under the stand itself for added weight, stability. I think they look quite good as they are, and wife likes the look of them too so win win.

 

The pavers certainly made a big difference for me decoupling the REL from my timber floors. Added some of the SNA-approved vibration absorbing blocks from Bunnings under the pavers too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Knocked up these quick and nasty speaker stands. Something to get me by until I build some floorstanders to replace my Paradigm Titan book shelves. Used cheap and nasty wood from the big box shop. Only took a couple of days to turn out.

PXL_20210219_050510163.jpg

PXL_20210219_050431084.jpg

PXL_20210219_050524960.jpg

PXL_20210219_050558426.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By HiFidelius
      Item Condition: used Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Maylands State: WA Payment Method: Cash on pickup, EFT, Paypal + 3% Reason for selling: No longer required Further information: Lenehans require no introduction their reputation is well established and acknowledged by most stereophiles however there is a lot of information available on the web.
      These speakers were purchased around July '18 and have been the best speakers I have owned so far, I have now decided to give streaming a serious go so I am investigating a self powered wireless solution.
      Condition is excellent except for a small chip on the top of the right speaker (not really noticeable but it's there), they come with the original packaging and cloth sleeves.
      The stands are NOT Lenehans however I think the suit the speakers very well, they are quite heavy with cable management.
       
      Photos:
       
      PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item
      - if you have previously sold items and not made a donation, your advertisement may not be approved.









    • By Sander H.
      Item Condition: Excellent Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Perth (NOR; Westminster 6061) State: WA Payment Method: Paypal (+3%), Cash on Pickup, PayID Reason for selling: No longer needed Super happy with these 70cm stands using my Quad S-1 bookshelf speakers, but it turns out my new Kef Q350's do a little better on a slightly shorter stand (60cm).
       
      This is the Nexus 7i (70cm, not measuring the spikes).
       
      They're only a few months old and in excellent condition.
       
      They can be weighed down with special Atacama material.
       
      Pick up preferred due to size and weight, but shipping can be arranged at an agreed cost.
       




    • By cava
      Item Condition: VG Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available. Suburb or Town: Lindfield State: NSW Payment Method: cash on Pickup Reason for selling: NLR Further information:
       
      Photos:
       
      PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved
    • By barryj46
      Item: Dynaudio stand either 6, 10 & 20
      Price Range: 123,456  tell me your price
      Item Condition: New or Used
      Extra Info: Stands wanted for Dynaudio C1, so if you have C1 adaptor plates that would assist/ preferred.
       
      I'm located in Perth WA.  
       
      Please don't forget to report your post as FOUND when possible. (You can now delete this text).
    • By robes
      Item Condition: Very Good Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available. Suburb or Town: Ryde State: NSW Payment Method: Cash on pickup, Paypal Reason for selling: NLR Further information:
       
      KEF LS50 speakers with stands, ready to go to a good home 
       
      Both items are in very good condition as pictured, stands have couple of minor marks on base. 
       
      Not sure as to the model of the stands - they are half-filled with sand so heavy to lift! 

      Photos:
       
      PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved







×
×
  • Create New...