kroozzy

DIY - HiFi Racks - Stands - Cabinets

Weather here improved, so I have spent a lot of time outside doing house and lawn maintenance. I say working on a home is never finished, if you stop the home deteriorates. 

Here's the 4 shelves with first coat of stain, not the best pics but you get an approximate color. 

Drilling and adding fasteners next, then a second coat of stain will follow.

Stained.png

All holes drilled, under side counter bores that hide fasteners done, thread inserts installed, bottom sides have second coat of stain. Will flip all pieces and put second coat of stain on top sides tomorrow.

DSC00582.jpg

DSC00583.jpg

DSC00584.jpg

Top sides with second coat of stain, drying today and start the varnishing process tomorrow.

DSC00586.jpg
DSC00587.jpg
DSC00585.jpg

For varnish, I'm using Epifanes Clear Varnish thinned 50/50 with mineral spirits, a lot of thin coats.
https://www.epifanes.com/page/clear-finishes
Here's a pic of my stain test board, sanded it after 9 thin coats of varnish and added a 10th coat today.
I'm after a glass smooth gloss finish, just about there, think 12 coats is likely to do the job.

DSC00589.jpg

Here's the basic rack I built, wanted something to hold everything for a lounger room setup. 2300mm wide, 600mm deep, 900mm high. Cost was around $350.

It was super easy to build as I'm not very handy at all

20180911_152535.jpg

Building a pair of speaker stands in Yamaha SPS2000 design gave me heaps of confidence.

stand.thumb.jpg.1c5f60644610088c9be688b7bd2c3518.jpg

Now I'm in the process of making a custom HiFi Rack. The basic structure is almost there... Still working on it...

20181001_144313.thumb.jpg.58d39fa159d41caf28f44cbdb1bd60df.jpg

80 cms Wide, and 46 cms deep. Plenty of space between each level to hold any monster.

Edited by HiFi-Man

Speaker stands look good, always liked that Yamaha stand design!  Cutting the cross brace into the verticals must have been fun. May I ask what you used for stain color?

16 hours ago, FrostEOne said:

Speaker stands look good, always liked that Yamaha stand design!  Cutting the cross brace into the verticals must have been fun. May I ask what you used for stain color?

Thanks. Yes, it was fun making them. They are not that simple as it looks. Making of those stands is a long story. First I have given the work to a carpenter in overseas but he failed to make these. Again I found another carpenter whom a few of my friends suggested, who didn't make it to perfection and to my satisfaction. So I decided to make it myself. It took some time for me to prepare by collecting tips and suggestions from a few of my friends here who have hot carpentry background and one of them a cabinet maker. Got the right directions from them. It took a long period as I was taking extra care, as I was working on it during the free time and I'm a beginner working with wood. :)

The stain I have used is Mahogany finish in sample tins bought from Bunnings shop, Australia. Don't remember the brand but I can get a photo and send it to you when visiting Bunnings next time. 

Edited by HiFi-Man

20181001_175127.thumb.jpg.f41a8d376557f14d39e6405767087516.jpg

20181001_175222.thumb.jpg.e353187c177794b89956e57a5add68c1.jpg

I'm really happy with the outcome of this...just the basic structure is finished by yesterday.

Pending work

1) Hiding screws

2) Applying wood putty in gaps

3) Sanding

4) Applying Stain

5) Second sanding using very fine grain paper

6) Applying Bee Wax.

The wood I have used.

1) Legs - Pine 70mm x 70mm

2) Bracing for each shelf - Oak 

3) Shelves (Slabs) - Karri wood (Benchtop slabs from Bunnings)

Measurements

Total Height: 90cm

Total Width: 80cm

Available width in each level from 2nd:66cm

From top

Available height (Level 1): Any Height :)

Available height (Level 2): 24 cms

Available height (Level 3): 18.5 cms

Available height (Level 4): 19 cms

Doesn't look simple to me, the joints where the crosses meet the legs would be tough.  Quite interested in how the notches in legs were cut, can you share the process?

Mahogany, makes sense, never thought  of that when I was mixing my stain color.  Used English Chestnut for the red part of my mix, mahogany appears to be a lot stronger color.

3 hours ago, HiFi-Man said:

20181001_175127.thumb.jpg.f41a8d376557f14d39e6405767087516.jpg

20181001_175222.thumb.jpg.e353187c177794b89956e57a5add68c1.jpg

I'm really happy with the outcome of this...just the basic structure is finished by yesterday.

Pending work

1) Hiding screws

2) Applying wood putty in gaps

3) Sanding

4) Applying Stain

5) Second sanding using very fine grain paper

6) Applying Bee Wax.

The wood I have used.

1) Legs - Pine 70mm x 70mm

2) Bracing for each shelf - Oak 

3) Shelves (Slabs) - Karri wood (Benchtop slabs from Bunnings)

Measurements

Total Height: 90cm

Total Width: 80cm

Available width in each level from 2nd:66cm

From top

Available height (Level 1): Any Height :)

Available height (Level 2): 24 cms

Available height (Level 3): 18.5 cms

Available height (Level 4): 19 cms

wow that looks fantastic! contrasting wood colours really sets it off, well done!!

On 02/10/2018 at 11:40 AM, jamiebosco said:

wow that looks fantastic! contrasting wood colours really sets it off, well done!!

Thanks Jaime :)

On 02/10/2018 at 8:42 AM, FrostEOne said:

Doesn't look simple to me, the joints where the crosses meet the legs would be tough.  Quite interested in how the notches in legs were cut, can you share the process?

Mahogany, makes sense, never thought  of that when I was mixing my stain color.  Used English Chestnut for the red part of my mix, mahogany appears to be a lot stronger color.

When making the above speakker stands, building the cross at correct angles and all matching without even 1deg diff was the tricky and critical part (The carpenters to whom I have given the job took this as an easy job and they failed at this area...moving forward at the end they tried to adjust the difference at legs which made it even worse). As you mentioned, cutting these corners were the toughest part which consumed most of my time with limited tools. 

For the first two legs, I have removed the whole area where the line is marked on top of each leg. Kept the removed portion. Applied screw and liquid nail to fix the cross on to them. The removed portion of wood is cut into a shape to cover the remaining area and glued there using the liquid nail. Not sure what I have explained is clear for you. I remember I have taken photos at all stages.. will search for more pictures. 

Later, a friend of mine suggested removing only the shaded area using a chisel. It was time-consuming, but I continued doing the same on remaining legs. A friend of mine who is a cabinet maker offered his help to get the corners (shaded area removed) as he has got tools. But I prefered to complete the project myself :)... It took ages for me to remove these corners using a chisel, maybe because I was using it for the first time 😛 .

1975053387_Pictures20171123_192227.jpg_shrinked1.thumb.jpg.30edd59fb2ce087846d827df691be877.jpg

437854015_Pictures20171123_183650.jpg_shrinked1.thumb.jpg.db59203ed139078ab530d981ed2e6f79.jpg

Also, I have made these stands on a glass top to make sure they are in perfect level. They stand even at the ground if they are placed at the ground on any face (Without any hard sanding done on legs).

Edited by HiFi-Man

Really nice work indeed!  Definitely something to be proud of.

Thanks for the explanation, with the pics make it's clear how it was done.

10 minutes ago, FrostEOne said:

Really nice work indeed!  Definitely something to be proud of.

Thanks for the explanation, with the pics make it's clear how it was done.

I will share more pictures once they are pulled out and separated from the chunk of all images.

Found out something new to me today and I am totally impressed!
Noticed back when looking for 00 and 0000 steel wool local availability, that Lowes lists Scotch-Brite as steel wool.
Been thinking about that in the back of my mind since, so today I tried a piece of brown Scotch-Brite (comparable to 00 steel wool) under my sanding block.
Using it under the sanding block kept it flat, achieving way more surface contact.
Works faster than steel wool and keeps the surface much flatter as well.
Going to put the 14th coat of varnish on now, pics late today or first thing tomorrow.

Edited by FrostEOne

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.