DIY - HiFi Racks - Stands - Cabinets

kroozzy

I' not near a calculator right now - super rough comparison to MDF?    Double?  Triple?  More?   Just consider the outer box.

Very good question. Will have a look. Think the duntech sovereign was 130kgs using 23mm hdf. This is a much bigger box so suspect the way I am making them to be about double.

Will take a look.

13 minutes ago, Peter_F said:

I think I do Dave.  I'm currently in the midst of reno's so it could be difficult to locate them at the moment.  ?

No hurry Pete, I'm pretty busy myself!

Would be handy for a little sideline project on a lazy weekend though.

Let me know if you find a couple :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Merry Christmas everyone! Just finished assembling the stand, it's finally done.
Well now that was an experience, 60 coats Epifanes Gloss Spar varnish on top sides, sanded w/400 between each coat to get them totally smooth.
Then 3 coats of Minwax Helmsman Gloss Oil-based Spar Urethane Varnish sanded with 800 between coats. Last coat was sprayed.
Here's a picture of it sitting in front of stereo. Will take more once everything is in place.

b899ccbb-c9ed-4509-926b-536153ca917b-ori
Edited by FrostEOne
identify first varnish
  • Like 8
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, FrostEOne said:

60 coats is correct, one thin coat every day for 2 months, a lot of it got sanded back off. 

I was after a glass smooth mirror like finish.       

fantastic result by the look of it, ?

I wouldn't have that much patience 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, peterpan said:

fantastic result by the look of it, ?

I wouldn't have that much patience 

Thanks for the compliment, I had a pretty good idea what it was going to take to achieve the mirror finish, but never dreamed 60 coats would be required.

Quite happy with the results though, makes it all worth the time spent.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve just replaced my old vertical Lovan style hi fi rack with a Norstone AV rack picked up on gumtree. I didn’t expect the norstone to be as good sonically but it’s much lower and less intrusive and suits my room better. It also clears the space between speakers which I hope will help the sound stage. 

The frame is good so the plan was to replace the glass shelves with timber. Actually the glass isn’t quite the sonic catastrophe I expected. Isolating the cdp with sorbothane hemispheres softened the brittle top end, but i was surprised to find the large improvement I got by isolating the pre amp ( Elektra pre, valves). 

I still plan to replace the glass but what with? Bamboo laminate seems the most inert but I found some 18mm timber panels at Bunnings which are cheap and need very little cutting. Or Is some kind of acrylic material any good?

So, comrades, what materials do you love, hate, recommend or advise against. 

E9F8396D-3D76-4086-A0A6-903C26C1C8C0.thumb.jpeg.cfd4269183f31b1a821208d90d43a8d8.jpeg

Edited by buddyev
  • Like 4

Guest Muon N'
On 13/01/2019 at 9:29 AM, buddyev said:

I’ve just replaced my old vertical Lovan style hi fi rack with a Norstone AV rack picked up on gumtree. I didn’t expect the norstone to be as good sonically but it’s much lower and less intrusive and suits my room better. It also clears the space between speakers which I hope will help the sound stage. 

The frame is good so the plan was to replace the glass shelves with timber. Actually the glass isn’t quite the sonic catastrophe I expected. Isolating the cdp with sorbothane hemispheres softened the brittle top end, but i was surprised to find the large improvement I got by isolating the pre amp ( Elektra pre, valves). 

I still plan to replace the glass but what with? Bamboo laminate seems the most inert but I found some 18mm timber panels at Bunnings which are cheap and need very little cutting. Or Is some kind of acrylic material any good?

So, comrades, what materials do you love, hate, recommend or advise against. 

E9F8396D-3D76-4086-A0A6-903C26C1C8C0.thumb.jpeg.cfd4269183f31b1a821208d90d43a8d8.jpeg

I'm against glass, from experience and have a strong preference for Bamboo, some anti vibration rubber between bamboo and frame would be recommended in my view.The anti vibration rubber comes in variants for different uses, apart from the larger/thicker blocks people post here (I use these too), they also have rolls of similar but thinner if that is more appropriate.

Looks nice BTW :thumb:

1 hour ago, Muon N' said:

I'm against glass, from experience and have a strong preference for Bamboo, some anti vibration rubber between bamboo and frame would be recommended in my view.The anti vibration rubber comes in variants for different uses, apart from the larger/thicker blocks people post here (I use these too), they also have rolls of similar but thinner if that is more appropriate.

Looks nice BTW :thumb:

Yes, I think glass is really not much good for h fi. I’m looking for some  bamboo laminate panels. Good quality ply is also an option but getying a nice clean edge is not so easy. 

Guest Muon N'
34 minutes ago, buddyev said:

Yes, I think glass is really not much good for h fi. I’m looking for some  bamboo laminate panels. Good quality ply is also an option but getying a nice clean edge is not so easy. 

Bunnings sell bamboo bench top material in different thicknesses I think, definitely a better choice in my view.

Yes Bunnings Bamboo panels (cut to size at no extra charge on site) are much better than any kind of plywood and I have compared it to birch core marine ply as well as AAA core voidless 29mm custom pressed marine plywood.  So not only cheaper, but in my opinion, better.

SYSTEM 2018.01.07 bamboo+springs1.JPG

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Aperalim said:

Sorry ellisr63 I just noticed you are in Mexico : )

Long way to a Bunnings store I expect!!

Thanks, I was just curious as it looked real thick. I think I might have found a supplier of bamboo plywood in Mexico City. I only need about 4 sheets to make 3 Klipsch Belle bass bins. Is the one you have the carbonized or is that the natural?