DIY - HiFi Racks - Stands - Cabinets

kroozzy

• Administrator

Here's the Flex rack I made back in 2013. An era when I had a lot more time on my hands!

IMAG0124.jpg

I ended up giving this one away when I moved to Solid Tech Hybrid to cope with my ever changing line-up. Solidsteel has won me over now though as a realistically priced solution that is modular and comes in many configurations without breaking the bank.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

browsing through DIY jobs on pinterest always leaves a bad aftertaste knowing for us to do the same job we need to spend way more in most cases....if it was possible in the first place!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Happy said:

browsing through DIY jobs on pinterest always leaves a bad aftertaste knowing for us to do the same job we need to spend way more in most cases....if it was possible in the first place!

Some are easy.  Others definitely require skill which some people have.  They are good for inspiration and in most instances doable.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Knocked this up this morning, pretty happy with it.

Ikea have the bamboo shelves, stainless threaded rod with some rubber washers from the bolt shop

Spikes from ebay. I've ordered stainless dome nuts for the top shelf so it doesn't look so industrial

Squash balls cut in half isolate the pre from the shelf

Cost me around $200

thumbnail_IMG_5101.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5102.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5103.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5104.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5105.jpg

Edited by Brad24
  • Like 12

Building a new stereo stand, I've finally settled on a design, this is drawing version 9.  All fasteners will be hidden, see detail in upper right corner of drawing.

1_Stereo_Stand.png

Verticals are turned red oak that will have a thin sleeve of 304 stainless steel tubing over the wood for accent.  Fasteners are 3/8" bolts for top and 3/8" threaded rod with nuts for lower section due to length needed.

Stereo_Stand_Parts_3.jpg

Shelves are constructed of 2 layers of ¾" quarter sawed red oak plywood laminated together with glue and small finish nails from bottom side, edges are faced with 3/8" solid red oak.

Shelves.jpg

Stain tests are next on list, going to mix walnut and golden oak stain colors in differing proportions until I get proper color.  Finish will be Epifanies CV1000 clear varnish.

More to come as this project progresses, critique and comments welcomed!

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Antipodean Brad said:

An intriguing design.  I am definitley looking forward to the finished product.  Thanks for posting.  And welcome to Stereonet.

Thank you for the welcome and nice comment on my design.  Regards, Mark B

22 hours ago, Rob181 said:

Yep...me to...I prefer a lighter stain...

I think the golden oak first adds some real character and depth to the final look after the special walnut which isn't there without it

Like your sig, I feel the same way!

Edited by FrostEOne
duplicate text
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rob181 said:

Please post the build progress...

Looking forward to watching it come together...

Will do a few pics as finish develops, a feature of this design is pieces can all be finished before final assembly.

Kind of like a home built flat pack? :)

5 hours ago, musicmc said:

Drilling and tapping the heavy all thread  allows for a neat flush top shelf with countersunk bolt heads. ?

IMG_5394.JPG

I like this, I'm partial to allen bolts, your use of countersunk allens really cleans up the top surface. 

Effects like this is why I chose to use thread inserts and totally hide the top attachments and sleeve the verticals with thin wall stainless steel tubing.

Also counter bored for fasteners at bottom to hide them as well, all fasteners will be hidden. (see my plans above)

Edited by FrostEOne
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, rawl99 said:

Whaddaya talkin about.

I've seen you working with your hands......

Only as a TA to one much more knowledgeable & skilful then I will ever be...

Now...I wonder...who could that be...

• 5 weeks later...

Weather here improved, so I have spent a lot of time outside doing house and lawn maintenance. I say working on a home is never finished, if you stop the home deteriorates. 

Here's the 4 shelves with first coat of stain, not the best pics but you get an approximate color. 

Drilling and adding fasteners next, then a second coat of stain will follow.

Stained.png

• Like 1