DIY - HiFi Racks - Stands - Cabinets

kroozzy

Hello Fellow SNA-ers

Due to the overwhelming response in a Wanted To Buy Ad for HiFi Racks with members sharing their fantastic and creative DIY Techniques for HiFi Racks & Stands & Cabinets I have decided to create this Topic.

Please share your amazing Creations and Ideas and Techniques by posting Photos, Articles and Links and your Comments for HiFi Racks & Stands & Cabinets.

You may also like to share your recommendations of professional HiFi Racks & Stands & Cabinets that you have purchased or found informative links to.

Christopher

Edited by kroozzy

Now for a Professional Made HiFi Rack:

I have been fortunate and especially privileged to be shown around the Factory of SGR Audio in Melbourne on a Sunday around May 2018.

Coming from a Trade & Industrial background i was surprised and amazed, yet proud, that us Aussies are creating World Class Products at well above World Standards.

I thought i was a perfectionist, and everyone that knows me and my work know that i am particularly OCD on quality, though Stuart, the Founder & Creative Intellect of SGR Audio along with his Father have made me proud that i am not alone on achieving perfection.

SGR Audio's HiFi Racks may be slightly priced outside some of our budgets, and yes 'my budget' to, though allow me to emphasize the Craftsmanship, Technology and Machinery used to manufacture SGR HiFi Racks is on par with Bentley Automotive Standards.

It is the old saying, "you get what you pay for", and i personally believe you get way more than what you pay for with SGR Audio Racks.

Stuart will not remember me, so i will ad i am the guy that does Kitchen Glass Splashbacks, that will refreshen his memory  ?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Oh ok then. 30x30x3mm tubing, welded, filled and sealed with outboard spikes and thick polished acrylic shelving.

what a great looking rack!   ?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Batty said:

What would such a beast cost Grizzly? I am fed up of using an old TV cabinet for my stereo. 

Is it wide enough for 2 TTs.

@batty not wide enough for 2 turntables, unless they are very small, width is 800mm on this one but it can be made any size 

I would think, tho it does get heavy! 

IMG_0424.JPG

• Like 5

8 hours ago, peterpan said:

@batty not wide enough for 2 turntables, unless they are very small, width is 800mm on this one but it can be made any size 

I would think, tho it does get heavy! 

IMG_0424.JPG

Nice HiFi Rack, is the paint used the type that settles to form a texture as it dries ? 

I forgot the name of it as i have not used it for a long time.

Also noticed the JLTI Modded Oppo, i have the latest 4.2 + ACB   ?

1 hour ago, kroozzy said:

Nice HiFi Rack, is the paint used the type that settles to form a texture as it dries ? 

you probably will have to ask grizzly that question he made it for me a while ago, I believe it is powder coated antique black? 

1 hour ago, kroozzy said:

Also noticed the JLTI Modded Oppo, i have the latest 4.2 + ACB

mine is 3.1? have had it a few years now. always wondered how much better 4.2 was but I mainly listen to vinyl these days 

and it sounds pretty nice anyway, 

how are you finding the Oppo?

• Like 1

I forgot the name of it as i have not used it for a long time.

Also noticed the JLTI Modded Oppo, i have the latest 4.2 + ACB   [emoji846]

Its a powdercoat but yes has a wrinkly finish with a tiny bit of silver through it from memory
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, peterpan said:

you probably will have to ask grizzly that question he made it for me a while ago, I believe it is powder coated antique black? 

mine is 3.1? have had it a few years now. always wondered how much better 4.2 was but I mainly listen to vinyl these days 

and it sounds pretty nice anyway, 

how are you finding the Oppo?

The Oppo 4.2 is great, i have upgraded to a Bricasti M1 DAC now, which is another level

• Like 1

On 20/07/2018 at 7:27 PM, kroozzy said:

..., is the paint used the type that settles to form a texture as it dries ?

I forgot the name of it as i have not used it for a long time....?

Apart from the nice powercoat that Grizzly refers to, the other paint with the textured finish is called "hammertone", and it can be bought in different colours.  Very popular in the 1950's and similar decades.  Always looks great to me, is often found on idler turntables. 

• Like 1

Here's the links to the TNT Audio DIY racks based on the threaded steel bars

I would suggest using hardwood ply or bamboo for the shelves, as these have reportedly much better acoustic properties in comparison to glass and mdf.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexye.html

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexyfaq_e.html

• Like 2

10 hours ago, audiofeline said:

Here's the links to the TNT Audio DIY racks based on the threaded steel bars

I would suggest using hardwood ply or bamboo for the shelves, as these have reportedly much better acoustic properties in comparison to glass and mdf.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexye.html

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexyfaq_e.html

thank you for the links  ?

• Thanks 1

This is a rack and isolation platforms I designed with consultation and emotional support from my partner. Ross at RTF design did the hard work and built the thing - he’s a real gentleman and patiently incorporated my learnings and tweaks into the final drawing, enabling me to get it just right.

It’s made of Australian Blackwood throughout and the footers between it and the floor and stillpoints ultra  SS. There are actually nine isolation platforms (to enable inevitable upgrades and expansion).

Isolation spikes, footers and bases are all RDC (I’ve just placed an order in the UK to make this all the same size and spec).

The speakers are a stop gap and I’ll put in full size floor standers with monobloc amp, eventually.

D29F0EF0-18F4-48C9-9BFD-CA04124A05AB.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, realysm42 said:

This is a rack and isolation platforms I designed with consultation and emotional support from my partner. Ross at RTF design did the hard work and built the thing - he’s a real gentleman and patiently incorporated my learnings and tweaks into the final drawing, enabling me to get it just right.

It’s made of Australian Blackwood throughout and the footers between it and the floor and stillpoints ultra  SS. There are actually nine isolation platforms (to enable inevitable upgrades and expansion).

Isolation spikes, footers and bases are all RDC (I’ve just placed an order in the UK to make this all the same size and spec).

The speakers are a stop gap and I’ll put in full size floor standers with monobloc amp, eventually.

D29F0EF0-18F4-48C9-9BFD-CA04124A05AB.jpeg

Nice Cabinet and special praise for the research and efforts to co-ordinate and manufacture the piece of art.

To the untrained person your cabinet looks like any other piece of furniture, but to others who read your description, google a little, they will quickly learn it is a quality cabinet.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, musicmc said:

DIY Rack, built a while ago, well actually 2 one on top of the other

IMG_0081.JPG

Not to miss the point of this thread, but that’s a beautiful job of cable dressing you’ve done there. 

This is next in on my list.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, realysm42 said:

Not to miss the point of this thread, but that’s a beautiful job of cable dressing you’ve done there. 

Thanks, still more to do though. Ran out of velcro ties waiting on some more.

• Haha 1

Enjoy owning that racking system. Made from 16mm all thread and 25mm construction ply with 2 coats of road case finish called DuraTex. The ppl at Bunnings even cut the ply to size, 600mm x 420, which worked well in the whole sheet, minimal waste.

It's adjustable, which is important for a growing system

Found that rubber feet from Bunnings fitted the all thread perfectly, so ended up stacking the racks with no problem.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, realysm42 said:

absolutely a part of the thread though is forgotten about, but great to included, hopefully more will be shown   ?

And for those contemplating constructing the threaded rod racks, consider concealing the threaded rods so they look less "industrial" .  Ideas include putting a tube around them, or building a wooden box around them. 

@audiofeline

True, the all threads are industrial looking and to be honest easily damage a heavy piece of kit if you happen to knock it it on the way in. Did procrastinate about that for quite some time trying to cover/box, leave out the top nut and washer for each shelf.

Because it needed to house quite a pile of gear, 6 power amps, DSP, PC and so on best I could come up with was to paint them black. Painting the nuts and washers didn't go well either and ended up using galvanized, looks way better than zinc.  Leaving out the top nut and washer exposed the hole in the middle shelves, not petty. Top shelf though, drilled and tapped the thread and counter sunk the shelf for snug fitting bolts which came up well.

Next time would employ a tube rather than a thread and fix the shelves in position somehow possibly drilling the tube and inserting a brass dowel or similar. Would eliminate the nut washer arrangement. Improve the ventilation also by cutting holes in strategic places through each shelf would be a winner .

Peace

Edited by musicmc
poor grammar
  • Like 3