Oppo UDP-205 not outputting @ 4K

My Oppo did a firmware update just the other day and now I've noticed it won't throw a 3840x2160 (4K) output to the projector - The projector says it's now only getting a 1080p input.

The 205 is still set to 'UHD Auto' Video Output in the Video Settings menu. Nothing has been changed.

Now when it is just at the menu screen (no media playing) the projector does receive a 3840x2160x60hz input.

For whatever reason (I suspect since the firmware update) a UHD Bluray is being downscaled to 1080p

The same with Bluray I think, which means the player isn't upscaling it to 4K and sending 4K to the PJ like it used to.

Anyone else seen this??!

And know how to roll back?

My PJ is the JVC X500 - no changes made to it.

the jvc x500 isnt hdcp 2.2 and hdmi v2.0a/b as current jvc projectors are. and what happens when playing a uhd blu-ray, due to the handshake identifying as so the oppo dumbs it down to 1080p

@Quark is using the same projector and can advise. but i suspect you will need at the very least a hdfury type device to fool the oppo that your projector is indeed hdcp 2.2 hdmi v2.0a/b capable. am not sure what else quark is doing with uhds, but he can best suggest :)

Why did you update?  If it isn’t broke don’t fix it....:huh:

and unfortunately you can’t roll back unless it’s a Beta version.
I know! But it offered an update and generally speaking they've always been positive.

I do suspect it's something along the lines of what you're saying al - I suspect the firmware has updated something in relation to HDMI and sees the PJ now as 'incompatible' and downscales to 1080p.

So definitely cannot roll back?

The X500 isn't HDCP 2.2 compliant so no UHD player should send a copy protected 4K signal to it. Sounds like Oppo might have left the HDCP gate open and been required to fix it (part of the licence conditions).

To get my Panasonic UB900 to send a 4K signal to my X500 I initially used a Monoprice Blackbird to get around things (these have now been discontinued in favour of more expensive options). Have since moved to a HDFury Integral. At least HDMI splitters will also do as a workaround - give EzyHD a call.

If you don't have any luck, let me know and I'll sell you the Blackbird for a nominal price.

• Like 3

The X500 isn't HDCP 2.2 compliant so no UHD player should send a copy protected 4K signal to it. Sounds like Oppo might have left the HDCP gate open and been required to fix it (part of the licence conditions).

To get my Panasonic UB900 to send a 4K signal to my X500 I initially used a Monoprice Blackbird to get around things (these have now been discontinued in favour of more expensive options). Have since moved to a HDFury Integral. At least HDMI splitters will also do as a workaround - give EzyHD a call.

If you don't have any luck, let me know and I'll sell you the Blackbird for a nominal price.

Dang.. That's a bit of a short changed end user experience... I've had the X500 since they were first released and I was the first person to receive a UDP-205 from Video Pro - picked it up directly from their warehouse even. Been using this set-up for ages now.
Hate how the firmware doesn't inform you what it's going to do...

This is kind of B.S.

Ping me if anyone finds out a way to roll back the firmware

23 minutes ago, Neilsy said:

Dang.. That's a bit of a short changed end user experience... I've had the X500 since they were first released and I was the first person to receive a UDP-205 from Video Pro - picked it up directly from their warehouse even. Been using this set-up for ages now.
Hate how the firmware doesn't inform you what it's going to do...

This is kind of B.S.

Ping me if anyone finds out a way to roll back the firmware

neillsy I had the 203 from day one, passed on it for a while and 205 shortly month or so after release. the oppos in my experience have been THE most stringent in handling of hdcp and hdmi particularly since their main menu is full bandwidth over hdmi so anything even remotely hinting not upto snuff will throw things out. 

i am curious to you autouhd setting. thats not what I am using. just factory out of box. so perhaps some quirk there I havent explored. 

my bet is prior you were upscaling to uhd. ie not passing native uhd off disc. my cambridge blu-ray unit prior would do this too... 4k to jvc. but ofcourse it wouldnt play uhd discs which require the hdcp 2.2 and hdmi 2.0a. and unless getting that will drop back to 1080p

how do I know ? I run twin displays pio kuro (non uhd - non hdcp2.2 non hdmi 2.0) and jvc uhd projector (fully compliant uhd hdd 2.0a hdcp 2.2). I can switch on the fly via my marantz between both displays and even run them both. just kuro will drop back to 1080p. just jvc will keep to uhd and with both will drop to 1080p which is working as it should and has been on all previous firmwares. I would have cried out if not the case :)

25 minutes ago, Neilsy said:

@Quark: is this it? Screenshot_20180719-214059.png

is that off ebay ? thats crazy ! I think i sold mine 2nd hand for some $150 ? or something ? you can buy from hdfury direct and there were always codes they'd give you for discounts. i accessed this via avs and their owners thread there. though not sure if still on going. 

30 minutes ago, Neilsy said:

@Quark: is this it? Screenshot_20180719-214059.png

Yes, that's it, just make sure you get one with the right wall wart for 230V/240V.  They are a bit fiddly to set up, but give lots of options.

Yes, that's it, just make sure you get one with the right wall wart for 230V/240V.  They are a bit fiddly to set up, but give lots of options.

Thanks Quark.

I did find the link on Oppo's site to previous firmware versions and, to be honest, I'm pretty keen if anyone knows how to force the device to load a previous version

Having to pay to recoup or purchase another third party device in order to get back the functionality I paid nearly $2200 for and have been using since the first day they were stocked in the Aus market is morally wrong.

Here's the link if anyone else runs into this problem:

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/blu-ray-UDP-20x-Firmware.aspx

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Neilsy said:

Thanks Quark.

I did find the link on Oppo's site to previous firmware versions and, to be honest, I'm pretty keen if anyone knows how to force the device to load a previous version

Having to pay to recoup or purchase another third party device in order to get back the functionality I paid nearly $2200 for and have been using since the first day they were stocked in the Aus market is morally wrong.

Here's the link if anyone else runs into this problem:

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/blu-ray-UDP-20x-Firmware.aspx

If you're running a bluraychip.dk multiregion mod there may be a hack to rollback the firmware (there was for earlier models).

17 hours ago, :) al said:

my bet is prior you were upscaling to uhd. ie not passing native uhd off disc. my cambridge blu-ray unit prior would do this too... 4k to jvc. but ofcourse it wouldnt play uhd discs which require the hdcp 2.2 and hdmi 2.0a. and unless getting that will drop back to 1080p

Neilsy ; I would say you weren't getting UHD @ 24HZ before as you need hdcp2.2 compliance as has been stated. Like Al intermates the 500 has accepted 1080p [as that is its native chipset resolution and hdmi1.4 will handle that] and upscaled it using its e shift3 . You just hadn't switched of the e-shift . To test this I imagine the 205 will have set 1080p and 4k edid options as well as auto for those times when an auto handshake needs help .; oppos are always generous with these options..

The JVC DLA-X500 can accept 4K content (but without HCDP 2.2 protection) and scales it down to the 2 times full HD resolution. It can also upscale a Full-HD content and display it with twice as many pixels using the E-shift.

I would take up Quarks kind offer and see what non upscaled UHD really looks like when it strips the pernicious hdcp2.2:)

Edited by cwt
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, thathifiguy said:

I reckon something like this might do the trick...

http://www.blustream.co.uk/sc11hdv2

I had one of these locally(qualifi bring them in sold by most retailers) and used side by side wiht integral when in the early days of uhd was trying to get my head around all the hand shake issues and hdcp etc. it worked as good as and same as the integral and locally would be a better cheaper option now than the rip off pricing some are wanting for integrals on ebay. 

I was fortunate that the local retailer let me borrow to see if helped my woes and compare with the integral. as a note both can now and then get caught out. I was even more fortunate that the disc player makers themselves sorted their side of things out to point these were not needed in my system.

another option for those wanting to bypass hdcp and its a little know fact perhaps but most splitters strip hdcp. I found I needed one of these for my fetch mighty which is known for its bodgy hdcp protocols. I bought a comsol switcher from office works, there is also the jay car that works. though keep in mind these are 1080p only which was fine for my fetch mighty but its not much use if trying to pass 4k. there might be 4k hdmi switchers that also effectively strip hdcp... inadvertently :D 

So to all who replied - thankyou.

There is a work around with this particular firmware that worked for me if anyone else encounters this issue with the likes of my setup of the UDP-205 but an older faux 4K PJ...

In Video Output in the Oppo menu is a more recent addition HDR Setting...
Scroll to the bottom, select Dolby Vision.

Now, my JVC X500 is far from it but the 4K output returned as did my nice clear picture and increased colour, as per seen over the previous near two years of use.

Seems to possibly be something in the firmware as they keep adding HDR settings...