Sign in to follow this  
audiofeline

I let go of Foxtel

7 minutes ago, t_mike said:

Nor self serve checkouts!

Don't get me started! 

Coles is the nearest grocery store to me. Every time I use their self-serve checkout, I experience some kind of problem. The assistant frequently makes me feel like some kind of Luddite, because I have so many issues. Anyway, when Woolworths announced their plastic bag ban, I decided it was worth driving a little further to shop there. NOT ONCE have I had a problem with a Woolies self-serve checkout. Since Coles are so hopeless with their system and so hopeless with the plastic bag ban, I will never darken their doors again. 

2 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Don't get me started! 

Coles is the nearest grocery store to me. Every time I use their self-serve checkout, I experience some kind of problem. The assistant frequently makes me feel like some kind of Luddite, because I have so many issues. Anyway, when Woolworths announced their plastic bag ban, I decided it was worth driving a little further to shop there. NOT ONCE have I had a problem with a Woolies self-serve checkout. Since Coles are so hopeless with their system and so hopeless with the plastic bag ban, I will never darken their doors again. 

I always try to avoid SS check outs,but when I do use them I have found the exact reverse.

The Coles SS checkouts are problem free in my experience,unlike Woolworths which almost make me scream and the "bag issue " that east coast people seem to be so bothered by,isn't an issue in SA.

Anyway, this has zip to do with Foxtel,sorry.

I was interested in Foxtel when it first appeared, but thought that I'd wait till pricing became cheaper, one aspect that made it very attractive was no ads.

It worked out well!

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 3:03 PM, Kaynin said:

Yes, that's the case for me.  We live in an Opticom estate and we get our free-to-air TV through the optic fibre.  I'm looking at Foxtel, so does it mean that I won't need a dish and can get the service through the fibre?

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 4:40 PM, davewantsmoore said:

Ah ha!  :)    (I wondered why you would be asking)

No.   Unless that is something Opticom offers (I've never heard of it).

Otherwise, you will just got Foxtel with a dish like everyone else.

I too am in an Opticomm estate.  Covenant in place preventing anything being installed on rooftops - includes FTA TV antennas and satellite dishes.  Both FTA and Foxtel delivered over the fibre optic cable.  Foxtel box is a cable box however the service is a satellite service.  I unuderstand the dish lives somewhere on the estate and is somehow distributed as needed.

Cheers

blairy

1 minute ago, blairy said:

I too am in an Opticomm estate.  Covenant in place preventing anything being installed on rooftops - includes FTA TV antennas and satellite dishes.  Both FTA and Foxtel delivered over the fibre optic cable.  Foxtel box is a cable box however the service is a satellite service.  I unuderstand the dish lives somewhere on the estate and is somehow distributed as needed.

Cheers

blairy

Ok, haven't looked in to it any further but good to know.  Our estate doesn't have FTA TV antennas either, so was wondering how Foxtel would work. 

Where does the Foxtel box go?

On 13/08/2018 at 6:28 PM, Mat-with-one-t said:

So where are you going to go for your right-wing propaganda now?

Anywhere where theres no Left wing crap.

I've got Foxtel for their NRL360 and Classic Entertainment, specially the Comedies. 

On 13/08/2018 at 2:28 PM, t_mike said:

Nor self serve checkouts!

I avoid the self-serve checkouts as well.

A few years ago I was in Bunnings.  I noticed how the 15 checkout stations which in previous years were generally fully-staffed were now down to about 6 staffed since they implemented the self-checkout (nowdays I only notice on or two checkouts staffed). 

The checkout staff had been instructed to tell all customers that they can use the self-checkout instead of the staffed checkouts.  I thanked the cashier, and explained that I preferred to use the staffed checkouts so I'm helping to providing employment for people like her.  She pointed to the staff member scrutinizing the self-checkout area, and said with an air of self-righteousness "well, she's got a job!".  I felt that I could have pointed out that that staff member had replaced about 10 cashiers, and could also easily replace the cashier who was serving me.  I also thought that with this cashier's intelligence that perhaps she deserved to be replaced by automation.  In the end I was polite and said nothing. 

On 14/08/2018 at 1:17 PM, blairy said:

somehow distributed as needed

Yep.    The encode the antenna/satellite signal into data .... pipe that data over "the internet" (in your case, over your fibre optic cable) ... and then at the other end, there's a converter to change the data back into the real antenna/satellite/whatever signal.

So, it's in effect like you had a really long antenna cable..... but in the middle it gets piped over a data network.

I hadn't heard of it being used for foxtel... but as you say, if the dish is local-ish ... then it wouldn't be too much effort.

I stopped Foxtel over 12 months ago.   I put the money I was spending into a faster internet download speed.   I use a VPN for my PC and Kodi.   I purchase 6 monthly packages on Premiumize and Real Debrid services for better Kodi access and still come out in front of what it was costing me for a month of Foxtel.

I never have a problem with Kodi, now I have got it down to a fine art via the KISS principle.   Kodi 17, Exodus and Trakt is all I need for virtually any show.

Regards Cazzesman

Live MotoGP ?

1 hour ago, Batty said:

Live MotoGP ?

If not in FTA... you can pay MotoGP for it, or you can pick it up over the pirate airwaves if slightly less than HD is acceptable.

6 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

If not in FTA... you can pay MotoGP for it, or you can pick it up over the pirate airwaves if slightly less than HD is acceptable.

AFL? I really only have foxtel for AFL... and now the cricket...🙄 which will be in glorious 4K apparently... but my installation is still on hybrid cable, not satellite and no nbn at my address for a good 12 months yet.

1 minute ago, blybo said:

AFL? I really only have foxtel for AFL... and now the cricket...🙄 which will be in glorious 4K apparently... but my installation is still on hybrid cable, not satellite and no nbn at my address for a good 12 months yet.

Available online either on an "inside Australia" deal, or if you use a VPN an pretend you are overseas there are package available to those outside Australia.    I'm not sure about the quality though.   It would not be higher than FTA HD I'd imagine.

It pains me to say, that if you like sport, then I think Foxtel still have it wrapped up @ ~50 per month or whatever HD sport costs at the mo.

I don't get the time to watch much AFL these days, and the motorsport isn't on when I can watch live.... so I download the quali/races and watch at my leisure in excellent resolution and no ads.   <hides>