I let go of Foxtel

it's been a while since our Foxtel was disconnected.  Sent the box back in time so no fine for not returning it.  And I must say that I haven't really been missing it much. 

A few weeks after it was disconnected, a Telstra door-door salesman came to try to get us to sign to Telstra NBN and "free" Foxtel.  Mrs.Feline spoke to him, but this is basically how the conversation went (an abbreviated version). 

TelstraMan:  ... so sign over to Tesltra NBN.

Mrs.Feline:  But the NBN isn't available in our street yet.

TelstraMan:  But you can sign up with us now.

Mrs.Feline: We won't consider that until the NBN is available.

TelstraMan:  But you get free Foxtel with it!

Mrs.Feline: We don't want Foxtel, we got rid of it a week ago.

TelstraMan:  But you get free Foxtel with it!

Mrs.Feline:  But we don't want Foxtel. 

TelstraMan:  Foxtel's free when you sign up (accompanied with a "why don't you want it look").

Mrs.Feline [after looking at the brochure with 3 price bundles and pointing to the relevant sections while talking to him]:  This shows that the Foxtel is not free!  You have two packages without Foxtel for $79 and $99.  This package is the same as the previous one with added Foxtel, and costs $129/month more.  So Foxtel is not free - it costs $30/month extra!

TelstraMan:  But you get Foxtel for free!

Mrs.Feline:  No, your brochure shows that Foxtel is not free - it will cost $30 extra.  And we don't want Foxtel, we got rid of it last week.

TelstraMan:  But you get Foxtel for free!

Mrs.Feline:  But we don't want Foxtel. We got rid of Foxtel two weeks ago.  We don't want Foxtel now.

TelstraMan:  But you get Foxtel for free!

I think at this stage the door was closed on him. 

I think he needs more training.

Edited by audiofeline
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, tj2204 said:

I got rid of foxtel just over a year ago, great decision - just wish I'd done it sooner.

Will be using Kayo sports for the NRL next season.

It actually looks like a really good option, I can see it being popular.

7 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

It actually looks like a really good option, I can see it being popular.

The picture quality is excellent, however I've been using a telstra TV box and the audio sync is unbearable, it just starts wandering and sound can easily end up 20+ seconds ahead of the picture. Currently looking in to alternatives in the form of ATV and Vodafone tv box, still undecided on the path i'll take.

1 minute ago, tj2204 said:

The picture quality is excellent, however I've been using a telstra TV box and the audio sync is unbearable, it just starts wandering and sound can easily end up 20+ seconds ahead of the picture. Currently looking in to alternatives in the form of ATV and Vodafone tv box, still undecided on the path i'll take.

Good to know.  I haven't used an ATV for Kayo, but I have used them for many years from the ATV2 to the ATV3, and have always found them to be a reliable product.  Let us know how you go.

4 minutes ago, iceblinkfroufrou said:

i've looked for this weekend's UFC event that is happening this weekend, but can't find it in the guide.

No UFC  event this weekend, the next on is 19.01.18 - Dillashaw vs Cejudo.

I moved into a brand new apartment building in September and rang the foxtel people assigned to us.  I wanted basic plus sports (prefer just sports), and he said he would give me three months platinum for free and then I can make up my mind. I reluctantly said yes

When the three months were up I see in my bank account a charge for $135.  I rang Foxtel and they claimed they notified me of the end of my trial and I didn't reply.  It turns out they sent the text to my wife's mobile and she just ignored it.  Lesson learnt.

• 1 month later...

• 2 months later...

In my opinion, Foxtel has really lost its way.  600 channels of terrible programming, adverts (which devalue the experience) and terrible documentaries.  Gave it up too...  Netflixs and Stan seem to have a better content library

Edited by Hereinoz
typos

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/06/2019 at 7:35 PM, Hereinoz said:

In my opinion, Foxtel has really lost its way.  600 channels of terrible programming, adverts (which devalue the experience) and terrible documentaries.  Gave it up too...  Netflixs and Stan seem to have a better content library

Do they still do the god awful station logos over shows?

i had foxtel now for what 7 days... thought sign upto it for 10 day trial. we watched chernobyl on it.... but what a useless way to go. no apple tv app ? what ? how is this possible in this day age for a streaming channel ? every other form of streaming even the tv stations have an app. foxtel cant afford one ? using airplay off MacBook to stream to the apple tv has got to be the suckiest way of watching things. shut it down 3 days before the trial ends because now chernobyl done cant see myself going this ways. 

its not cheap either $25 a month ? are they joking ? 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, betty boop said:

i had foxtel now for what 7 days... thought sign upto it for 10 day trial. we watched chernobyl on it.... but what a useless way to go. no apple tv app ? what ? how is this possible in this day age for a streaming channel ? every other form of streaming even the tv stations have an app. foxtel cant afford one ? using airplay off MacBook to stream to the apple tv has got to be the suckiest way of watching things. shut it down 3 days before the trial ends because now chernobyl done cant see myself going this ways. 

its not cheap either $25 a month ? are they joking ? 

Yeah just goes to show the shortcomings of Foxtel , al !

Enough to drive a man to piracy, or in my case beneficiary of his son's transgressions to watch Chernobyl! ?

Should add happy subscriber with Kayo, unfortunately via an Apple Tv box but works very well on 110" screen .

Edited by evil c
  • Haha 1

On 11/06/2019 at 7:35 PM, Hereinoz said:

Exactly. I really don't watch anything on it except for the A-League (6 months a year) and cycling (Eurosport). There has been 2 series that I've ever watched - GOT (and had to pay extra for that) and Chernobyl. Unfortunately, there's no other way to watch  cycling, as Eurosport isn't included on Kayo. The other TV channels have nothing of interest