I decided to let go of Foxtel.  Here is my experience (/rant) in what occurred.  We decided to let it go because it's expensive in comparison to some alternatives (eg. Netflix).  The Arts channel is now cr*p (unless you like soft rock and Andre Rieu).  We were still using a 2nd-gen box with rgb outputs (no hdmi).  The menu system hadn't changed (read improved) in over 10yrs.  They expect us to pay more for HD.  Nothing had improved. 

I rang the customer service line.  The first thing I note was the person I spoke with had perfect (British) English.  In comparison to technical support, which sounded like a Phillipines call centre (no problem with me if they have understandable English and know their stuff, which I didn't get).  Funny how they employ those with excellent English to deal with you when you want to leave. 

So the customer support woman with excellent English wanted some feedback on why I wanted to leave.  I expected that.  The first thing I note was how irritating it was to have "scripted empathy" - "I understand what you are saying" was said in a caring voice to everything I said.  Firstly, non-genuine empathy tends to elicit the opposite emotion to what it's intended to have.  Secondly, if they really did have an understanding of my criticisms I would have expected them to have addressed them in the interests of continuous improvement.  I had to endure this for the duration of the call. 

Then comes the trying to keep me as a customer - I was expecting this.  I've been a loyal customer for more than 10yrs, so they could replace my antiquated 2nd generation box with the current state-of-the-art IQ3 that would give me an entirely different Foxtel experience.  But they haven't told me because I requested "no marketing".  Excuse me Foxtel, marketing is harassing me to spend more money.  Customer service is contacting me to offer me a better product for the same or less money. I don't mind that, and have experienced it with my internet provider (when they were good).  Foxtel, please don't use my request not to be harassed as an excuse to provide a second-rate service to me. 

I didn't get sucked in with the lure of a new box, so the effort to keep me as a customer progressed to offering me a cheaper rate.  When I refused the first offer (with a "thank you, I will keep this in mind if we decide to reconnect later"), I got a better offer.  This was refused, as I wanted to disconnect.  Then a cheaper offer, refused again.  Then a cheaper offer - 70% of my current plan, with the same channels, with the free upgrade to the IQ3.  I wanted to disconnect, so this was refused.  But to me this is Foxtel admitting to me that they have been overcharging me by 70% and providing an inferior service with the old box.  Foxtel, please disconnect me and give me a refund for over payments! 

I finally get to the point where the disconnection is agreed to.  But before it was finalised, they put another plan to me - a $10 per month plan to keep Foxtel with 10 channels.  Again, when I refused, it was pointed out that they would still include an IQ3 box at no extra charge.  Now the idea of keeping it for $10 did pique my interest, until I found only one of the channel interested me. 

So the disconnection was agreed to and started to be processed, and I was informed on how to return their hardware.  "But before we do it, I would just like you to think about....".  I cut her off, and requested she stop the script to try to get me to change my mind.  This appeared to offend her, as she replied in a terse tone that she had processed it and then she hung up on me. 

So Foxtel, this experience has done little to make me feel that I have been cared for as a "valued customer".  Although I was semi-genuine when I said I may reconnect again in the future, this treatment has not strengthened my brand-loyalty - in fact the reverse.  Sure, it's what we can expect from all types of providers these days.  But they have little insight into how the strategies can backfire on them.  Or maybe they do, and they consider me to be in the minority and within their collateral damage range.  Anyway, it's something for their "Brand Ambassadors" to think about. 

:thumb:

Make sure you recorded the time of the call and her name, just in case she doesn't fully process the termination.

I once rang Telstra to confirm that a service I cancelled was indeed cancelled (been burned by them before), one of the first things the guy asked me was if I had any other Telsra services, I said no, and he hung up :)

11 hours ago, audiofeline said:

The first thing I note was how irritating it was to have "scripted empathy" - "I understand what you are saying" was said in a caring voice to everything I said.  Firstly, non-genuine empathy tends to elicit the opposite emotion to what it's intended to have.  Secondly, if they really did have an understanding of my criticisms I would have expected them to have addressed them in the interests of continuous improvement.  I had to endure this for the duration of the call. 

These responses have been designed to offer the lowest possible negative impact while still searching for reasons and possibilities. Its hard to do a one solution for all approach without offending someone so they need to be scripted to avoid offending on a greater scale.

Then comes the trying to keep me as a customer - I was expecting this.  I've been a loyal customer for more than 10yrs, so they could replace my antiquated 2nd generation box with the current state-of-the-art IQ3 that would give me an entirely different Foxtel experience.  But they haven't told me because I requested "no marketing".  Excuse me Foxtel, marketing is harassing me to spend more money.  Customer service is contacting me to offer me a better product for the same or less money. I don't mind that, and have experienced it with my internet provider (when they were good).  Foxtel, please don't use my request not to be harassed as an excuse to provide a second-rate service to me. 

This is another no win situation for Foxtel. If they sent you even the smallest bit of information about up selling to another device, and angry customer could construe that as marketing and end with a whole bunch of trouble at the ACCC. You cant have it both ways.

So the disconnection was agreed to and started to be processed, and I was informed on how to return their hardware.  "But before we do it, I would just like you to think about....".  I cut her off, and requested she stop the script to try to get me to change my mind.  This appeared to offend her, as she replied in a terse tone that she had processed it and then she hung up on me. 

Rudeness begets rudeness.

I might come across as harsh in this, but Customer Service cop an absolute blasting by everyone and its always a lose-lose situation. Foxtel would be hemorrhaging customers these days and they need to try everything to stop the bleed. I don't blame them in turning Customer Service into salesmen, its a good strategy. Even if 10% pick up the $10 deal, its better than no one.

I only keep foxtel as they have excellent coverage of the MotoGP.

2 hours ago, RockandorRoll said:

This is another no win situation for Foxtel. If they sent you even the smallest bit of information about up selling to another device, and angry customer could construe that as marketing and end with a whole bunch of trouble at the ACCC. You cant have it both ways.

I thought the OP was saying it wasn't an up sell.... it was a free upgrade. I doubt the ACCC would be chasing Australian companies that offered a better product to their existing customer base for nix. Happy to be proved wrong if you can show me where that has ever happened.

Personally I have been through a similar experience with foxtel. It just simply isn't value IMO compared to other services and so after 15 years I gave it the flick 12 months ago. Never looked back.

9 minutes ago, rodders3 said:

I thought the OP was saying it wasn't an up sell.... it was a free upgrade. I doubt the ACCC would be chasing Australian companies that offered a better product to their existing customer base for nix. Happy to be proved wrong if you can show me where that has ever happened.

This isn't so much a case of what the offer is (up sell/free etc) its more that, if you opt out of marketing material, the company cannot send you anything apart from your bill. 

I have to complete a training course every year on who we can and cannot promote to and this almost falls into the SPAM section of it.

Hi Nathan, long time no see.

wow how can I get in touch with someone based out of Australia? Have had a technical problem for weeks. They sent someone out to upgrade us to IQ3 (which are all satellite apparently). The installer said there was not a suitable position for the dish. I was sent a new box to replace a faulty IQ2, but the new box did not come with a smart card. Have called about 5 times to get the number switched over, but the new box won't work with the old card. A few times they told me 24-72 hours for it to get rectified. Nothing ever happens. I have contacted them again, and they now plan on sending someone out to try the IQ3 and Satellite dish again! I just want a local tech to fix the damn thing I have now! Plus all this time I have still been getting charged for the extra non functioning box.

5 hours ago, RockandorRoll said:

...Rudeness begets rudeness.

I might come across as harsh in this, but Customer Service cop an absolute blasting by everyone and its always a lose-lose situation. ...

I accept your points.  I would like to clarify that when I told her that I wasn't interested in hearing more offers and I just wanted to have the disconnection processed, I did not do it it a rude or aggressive way.  I just let her know that I wasn't interested in hearing more of the script.

Yes, I accept that customer service phone operators have a job to do, and they don't deserve a blasting for doing their job.  I try to be polite in my assertiveness. 

However, I am not polite to unsolicited calls from those I am convinced are scammers (eg.  the "technical department from Microsoft calling about my internet").  Those people are choosing to do a job that destroy people's lives and wellbeing, and I think that anything that may get them to stop doing that is a good thing.  If I'm unsure if their motives are positive or negative, I err on the side of politeness. 

2 hours ago, RockandorRoll said:

This isn't so much a case of what the offer is (up sell/free etc) its more that, if you opt out of marketing material, the company cannot send you anything apart from your bill. 

I have to complete a training course every year on who we can and cannot promote to and this almost falls into the SPAM section of it.

Thanks for this clarification.