Amplifier for Aurum Cantus ribbon speakers

I wonder if anyone has suggestions for a relatively inexpensive amplifier @round $1000 to show my new (second hand) Aurum Cantus 630 speakers?

Im using a Yamaha as-500 with a Subbie and it has been great for my Sonique SAV-4 and Proac 1sc clones.

Im looking to upgrade now.

I have a pair of Yamaha NS-690 iii waiting for selection that may be up for sale soon if a new Amplifier doesnt do them justice.

I do have a Sansui AU-419 that has unfortunately crossed over into the protections zone and Im in a quandary whether it is worth a recap that could cost $500. (any suggestions in Vic gratefully received).

One of the main features for a new amplifier will be the ability to show the ribbon speakers at their best.

Damo

Hi@dammers31

I think you would be better off saving up for an amp that would do the speakers justice, trying to hone in on specifically one part of the speaker would be difficult, are you trying to enhance the treble over the rest of the sound spectrum?

Previously having the V2M standmount, I found it sounded very good with a Primaluna Prologue Amp.

JJ

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dammers31 said:

I wonder if anyone has suggestions for a relatively inexpensive amplifier

Why do you need a new amp at all?

I have no special problem with the existing Yamaha AS-500. I actually think it is fine and sounds reasonably much like my Sansui. But I know it is nearer the lower end of the range rather than the top. So in the interest of balancing my system which includes a Technics sl-1700, AudioGd Dac, squeezebox Touch with Teddy Pardo, I had figured on my next assignment being an amp upgrade. 

Im sorry I cant be more identifiable about whats missing.

10 minutes ago, dammers31 said:

I have no special problem with the existing Yamaha AS-500. I actually think it is fine and sounds reasonably much like my Sansui. But I know it is nearer the lower end of the range rather than the top. So in the interest of balancing my system which includes a Technics sl-1700, AudioGd Dac, squeezebox Touch with Teddy Pardo, I had figured on my next assignment being an amp upgrade. 

Im sorry I cant be more identifiable about whats missing.

I would have thought that your amplifier is fairly well suited to your system. Obviously, I have not heard it, but you seem sufficiently satisfied.

Any system can always be improved but (usually ) it is in response to an aspect of the system which is not pleasing or which is deficient and not able to do the job required.

Guest Muon N'

Speaker & Amp matching is important to get the best result. I would suggest trying the amps you have already, and if interested borrow/loan some others to see for yourself if a change is justified.

Be careful of first impressions though, as an example....often a more lively top end can seem nice, but ultimately not too nice in the longer term.

Being an AC owner (different model), I can tell you that a high current amp makes a massive difference to the sound. Not sure about yours, but mine are a nominal 4 ohm load, and from what I can ascertain, are difficult to drive. A Sansui AU3900 had no hope, yet the Sansui sounds great with Orpheus Auroras. The SGR monos drive the ACs with ease. I would suggest trying a loaner ME amp if you can find one. The AC speakers punch way above their weight.

• Like 1

The best I've had paired with my Aurum Cantus F620 speakers is a Schiit Saga preamp paired with a Chinese darTZeel NHB-108B copy though a Quad 405 copy came really quite close for a fraction of the cost. Wider sound stage than the darTZeel though without its depth.  That said I probably wouldn't go back.

If you're in Brisbane we could have a listening session with both the darTZeel and Quad.

EDIT: Just checked and you're in Victoria.  Listening session is definitely out of the question.

Edited by MattyW

Thanks Matty

I had been watching your happy experience in the "best audio" thread and it galvanised me to move quickly on the AC 630. I saw and missed on the 620 a few weeks ago. I was interested in your journey so will look up your darTZeel copy. I already have Proac clones, so no further pride to lose. I may as well  keep eye on sna classifieds.

Hopefully someone might offer a cool amp swap for Yamaha ns-690 mark iii plus a dodgy AU-419.

• Love 1

Check out the parallel version without knob - 

http://s.aliexpress.com/MjUNbeEF?fromSns=Copy

Spectacular with Schiit Saga. Can't go wrong paired with a Gieseler Gross DAC. I'll never sell mine.

The Weilang Audio AKM 4497EQ DAC's make a nice cheap alternative though need a better power supply not to hum. Will do that upgrade,  and roll OPAMPS too though I want to replace those with output transformers eventually :)

Got round to doing a direct comparison between my darTZeel NHB-108B and Quad 405 copies on the weekend. 

To sum it up, with a bit over a month burn in there's simply no comparison. The darTZeel NHB-108B blew away the Quad 405 in every possible way. Deeper and tighter bass, more detailed and natural presentation, not just wider though hugely deeper sound stage.  Allows you to see deeper into the recording. I'll never be going back to the Quad copy.

On 19/07/2018 at 7:47 AM, dammers31 said:

Yamaha as-500

I think it makes perfectly good sense to want to upgrade from a $800 rrp integrated amp that is worth about $300 used to a $1000 used amp that could have been potentially worth about $2000-4000 rrp in their time depending on how old an amp you are willing to accept. 

There have been used amps in the sna classified and gumtree like the Yamaha AS1000 for that price and others. You may even get a pre and power amp combo.

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 1