Sign in to follow this  
Hooked

Streaming

I cant call myself an audiophile, however i love good music and sound.

For some convenience, i want to be able to stream music from PC to my system.

I do understand that the music files on say Spotify aren't brilliant but, once again for convenience it is sometimes adequate for the purpose using USB connection.

My system comprises of NAD M51 DAC, Bel Canto Evo2 Gen 2 integrated and Dali Ikon 6 speakers. which together sound quite good.  Also an Arcam Alpha 10 for phono stage.

If i were to use a google Chromecast audio device into my DAC would this work ok say using a Toslink connection, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

Hi, what do you mean by "work ok". It will work but don't expect high sound quality, good for background music. 

Cheers,

Irek

Tidal onto a laptop, cd quality direct into the dac using the usb is the easiest way to stream reasonable quality.

Thanks guys,  too good and cheap to be true...looks like I will live with the cables.....   :-(

Appreciate the comments.

Hi Im using Tidal, download the desktop  version    (  paying for the best sound quality )         usb from computer to dac 

dac to stereo    brilliant 

I was wondering why Irek  says streaming is only good for background music?

26 minutes ago, david j said:

Streaming will provide excellent sound quality if you use the right setup. Your plan to use Chromecast might be inferior to what others have suggested - i.e. connect the laptop to the DAC via USB cable. However Chromecast Ultra might perform well - so much so that you may not be able to tell the difference. 

Hi Pete  Not sure what version Tidal desktop app uses ?

I just downloaded it and set it up 

It was a couple of months ago I believe  it was improved

Edited by david j

1 hour ago, david j said:

Hi, I meant WIFI dongle like the one from google connected by optical cable to DAC is good only for a background music. Very generally speaking in digital world CD/SACD players are the best for sound quality, DAC + PC or Streamers comes second and DAC + WIFI dongle goes as a last option.  Of course there are many variables (personal taste, price, habits).

I agree with one of the definitions of audiophile : " a person who loves to sit in the sweet spot without multitasking and just listen to music coming from personally chosen hifi equipment". 

It would work fine - if you are streaming from Spotify as you said, id have no prob saying go with the Chromecast Audio. 

Ive had one in the past, cheap and easy to use. Play with the settings and its fine. Had it years ago to see if i liked streaming. Moved onto a Bluesound Nodd and havnt looked back.

The Chromecast is pretty simple to use and i think has in app support for ‘casting’ from spotify/tidal.

Thanks to all comments.. Much appreciated.

BTW, i downloaded free demo of Tidal, but not the lossless version.  Through a usb, i cant pick the difference from Spotify.   Is the lossless much better?

43 minutes ago, Hooked said:

Is the lossless much better?

Imho yes, spotify 320kbps, tidal 1411kbps flac/alac 44.1khz, so full cd quality I am streaming direct to my moon neo ace

and am happy with the results.

Guest Eggcup The Daft
2 hours ago, Dusty060364 said:

Imho yes, spotify 320kbps, tidal 1411kbps flac/alac 44.1khz, so full cd quality I am streaming direct to my moon neo ace

and am happy with the results.

It can be very hard to tell the difference between 320kpbs, or even less,and full CD quality (with some recordings it can be surprisingly easy).

Lossless CD quality, properly streamed, does give security and I'm streaming Tidal HiFi as I write this. Generally Spotify Premium is good enough to be more than background music. The best YouTube sound can be very good, even.

Having said that, what's important can definitely come through at lower rates. I've sat with professional classical musicians and teachers who can very accurately judge a performance at 128 bit MP3 while I'm there thinking that a higher bitrate would make things much clearer. Consider that even with 16/44.1 there's a lot of no signal, and what gets thrown away to reach 320 AAC is mostly information we won't hear or will struggle to hear, then something of the acoustic perhaps.

Compare that with LP, where the information that gets removed is based on the practical consideration that the stylus can't track everything. What's removed for that reason is information that we can definitely hear. That's not a popular message, but it's true. Spotify Premium is probably higher fidelity than LP in many cases for information purposes.

Before you all pile in on me, note that I didn't say that Spotify Premium sounds better than LP. There is more to it than that.

12 hours ago, Eggcup The Daft said:

It can be very hard to tell the difference between 320kpbs, or even less,and full CD quality (with some recordings it can be surprisingly easy).

Lossless CD quality, properly streamed, does give security and I'm streaming Tidal HiFi as I write this. Generally Spotify Premium is good enough to be more than background music. The best YouTube sound can be very good, even.

Having said that, what's important can definitely come through at lower rates. I've sat with professional classical musicians and teachers who can very accurately judge a performance at 128 bit MP3 while I'm there thinking that a higher bitrate would make things much clearer. Consider that even with 16/44.1 there's a lot of no signal, and what gets thrown away to reach 320 AAC is mostly information we won't hear or will struggle to hear, then something of the acoustic perhaps.

Compare that with LP, where the information that gets removed is based on the practical consideration that the stylus can't track everything. What's removed for that reason is information that we can definitely hear. That's not a popular message, but it's true. Spotify Premium is probably higher fidelity than LP in many cases for information purposes.

Before you all pile in on me, note that I didn't say that Spotify Premium sounds better than LP. There is more to it than that.

Spotify can be better than LP, it all depends of the music/recordings and quality of streamer/TT.  

for the ease to test the streaming waters i think Chromecast is a good option. its cheap, cheaper 2nd hand, small enough to buy/sell online. 

Spotify, Tidal, Deezer, Amazon music, youtube, etc. have introductory offers - try it and if you like it... happy days. if you don't, then understand why and go from there

Edited by wasabijim

In my view a streamer with UPnP support is much more convenient than a direct connection to a DAC.

This way you can stream via the streamer directly when the PC is off, or control it via the PC when you're sitting at the PC.

This also allows the streamer to be further away and connected via the network.