CAT8

Guest rmpfyf

Guest rmpfyf

In the spirit of isthereanyfriggndifference, I've managed to acquire some CAT8 Ethernet cable. This stuff is thick.

Has anyone else had a play? It's supposed to have a good 20+dB on CAT6.

In the spirit of isthereanyfriggndifference, I've managed to acquire some CAT8 Ethernet cable. This stuff is thick.

Has anyone else had a play? It's supposed to have a good 20+dB on CAT6.
It's more about information transfer. Cat6 is good for 1gig, cat6a 10gig. Cat8 (if genuine and terminated correctly) 40gig.
  • Like 1

Guest rmpfyf
1 minute ago, Upfront said:

It's more about information transfer. Cat6 is good for 1gig, cat6a 10gig. Cat8 (if genuine and terminated correctly) 40gig.

It's genuine. More interested in the shielding properties. 

2 hours ago, rmpfyf said:

More interested in the shielding properties

If you use plastic connectors to avoid ground / leakage loop and use the Swenson shielding technique (using silicone wire) it could/should be good.

Supra cable?

Guest rmpfyf
2 hours ago, Upfront said:

Shielded/screened cable? Or are you talking about noise rejection capabilities?
Need more info.

Shielded pairs and the bundle is screened.

1 hour ago, davewantsmoore said:

20dB of what?

All the measurements I've seen are 1.6ghz and higher, which doesn't seem relevant.

I was counting on this getting you out of bed :D it's actually >20dB better than UTP at 50Mhz, gets up to 35dB at some freqs. These data are for common EMC tests.

51 minutes ago, Music2496 said:

If you use plastic connectors to avoid ground / leakage loop and use the Swenson shielding technique (using silicone wire) it could/should be good.

Supra cable?

Connectors are plastic; there's at least a screen (no idea how joined and though I've got two I'm not keen to pull them apart).

Cables are Elecom, picked them up in Akihabara a few days ago.

1 hour ago, rmpfyf said:

Akihabara

B)

Ah, such a fun time!

1 hour ago, rmpfyf said:

50Mhz

I assume that's for crosstalk? ... as opposed to radiating outside the bundle?

Anyways, 35dB is large .... do you have a hypothesis(es) for how it's important?

Ethernet cables do make a difference. Figures aside.@chanh and I did some basic testing many years ago now. But this was a simple set up with no horizontal cabling involved. Purely patch leads.
Is it a preterminated patch lead or unterminated cable? What are you planning to do with it?

Cat8 [emoji15], the powers that be haven’t settled on a universally accepted specs of cat7. 
Neo
There has been a lot of rubbish made with the label of cat7/cat7a. So I think the only way for them to get past it was to officially skip it and go straight to cat8. Testers are already available and the standard required is set.

Why would an Ethernet cable influencing/impacting the sonic signature?!?! I wonder...! After all - the cable is nothing but transfers Binary electrical pulses, 1010101001? Complete nonsense from a sparky's perspective. 

Never the less - from human ears, it appeared not all Ethernet cables are made equal. Some sound better then others. After trailing so many...., I have set on a pair of these Japanese made Ethernet cables. 

http://www.aim-ele.co.jp/avd/english/products/na7/

I think they are approx $1000 each. 

• Like 1

Why would an Ethernet cable influencing/impacting the sonic signature?!?! I wonder...! After all - the cable is nothing but transfers Binary electrical pulses, 1010101001? Complete nonsense from a sparky's perspective. 
Never the less - from human ears, it appeared not all Ethernet cables are made equal. Some sound better then others. After trailing so many...., I have set on a pair of these Japanese made Ethernet cables. 
 http://www.aim-ele.co.jp/avd/english/products/na7/

I think they are approx $1000 each. 
Terminated with Telegaertner cat6a plugs. Looks interesting mate. Was wondering what you ended up with.

Cables4u cat6a found them particularly good and not dear at all. Compared to comsol or belkin, like chalk and cheese. Although go to max 10m 

Neo

Edited by Neo

Guest rmpfyf
3 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

B)

Ah, such a fun time!

Absolutely, though finding places that did good audio stuff is challenging (forget the guides, use Google translate, speak to locals and be respectful, just get happily lost in it all). Came back with a few valves - prices aren't any cheaper over there, though there's some good stuff that's hard to find elsewhere. 

I assume that's for crosstalk? ... as opposed to radiating outside the bundle?

No idea :) rating is done to CISPR 14-1, though could be applied any which way I'd guess. 

Anyways, 35dB is large .... do you have a hypothesis(es) for how it's important?

My hypothesis: what the cables cost me is the least I could spend on a 'let's have a little fun' mission given all else on offer, and containing my 'I could try this!' impulses to minimum spend is super important :) In all seriousness the HTPC is below the TV (plasma), there's a lot going on in terms of EMI. It'd be a small thing but worth a try. That last leg is on CAT6a at the moment and it was a nice stepup from CAT5e, though nothing earth-shattering. There's a LAN isolator in the mix which does more. 

Guest rmpfyf
2 hours ago, Upfront said:

Ethernet cables do make a difference. Figures aside.@chanh and I did some basic testing many years ago now. But this was a simple set up with no horizontal cabling involved. Purely patch leads.
Is it a preterminated patch lead or unterminated cable? What are you planning to do with it?

Patch, have 1m and 2m (there was nothing shorter for sale at the time). Will try it out of the wall and into my HTPC (suspect could improve things) and out of my USB>I2S box and into my DAC (suspect will not improve things). 

Guest rmpfyf
20 minutes ago, Neo said:

It’s all to do with jitter, timing errors that’s what we hear and perceive as good sound or bad.

Neo

Would think with EMI it's pure error reduction, then packet jitter - though the advantages here are small compared to initiatives to better OS jitter directly regards network (dedicated subnet, MTU tuning, network resource management, etc)

Cheapest way of course is to just shutdown your network interface during playback :)

Patch, have 1m and 2m (there was nothing shorter for sale at the time). Will try it out of the wall and into my HTPC (suspect could improve things) and out of my USB>I2S box and into my DAC (suspect will not improve things). 
Well worth trying mate. Especially if the price is right. Let us know what you think.

38 minutes ago, Neo said:

Cat8 ?, the powers that be haven’t settled on a universally accepted specs of cat7

Neo

Nah.  Cat7 was agreed in 2002 .... it's just that most people are confused by it, because it doesn't allow for the standard RJ45 type connectors that most people use.

... (Much) later on 6A was made which supported about the same speeds, on the RJ45 connector.

Cat 8 is needed if you want to run 40gig with typical plugs/sockets.... a while ago I would have said "but who wants to do that" .... I guess the time is now.

• Like 1