Vintage shootout.

Goodaye all

last weekend we had a bit of a vintage shootout, this was brought on by demonstrating my Kef Concerto's to a potential buyer.

Anyway the Amps.

Sansui Au101, daily family room listener, been capped and modded.

Sansui AU505, just finished capping and mods.

Sansui AU505, my study amp, capped and modded a little differently, bit more base.

Marantz 2240, just serviced.

Speakers

Marantz 920's restored

Linerar Design K2400 recapped

Kef Concerto's recapped.

TDL RTL3 little unfair on these as they have a mismatched tweeter and the crossovers need capping.

l have the ability to switch amps instantly for the connected speakers from my Ol dac.

First up the Concerto's were connected to the Au505 and Marantz.

Well the Concerto's came alive on the AU505 the base was clearer and tighter sounded great.

Had to take a little base off.

Then l switched to the Marantz, amazing sounded even better, just left it as it was.

l had only used the Concerto's on a AU101 and the base was ho hum.

Reconnected the 920's these are my favourite sounding speakers, l like them useing the AU505 amp but l can switch to the Marantz.

So at this stage the Concerto's were no longer for sale.

Then off to the family room.

The Concerto's and TDL's connected to the Sansui AU101 sounded ok but the base was ho hum.

The Linear design's sound great.

The Sansui AU101 got kicked out and the new Au505 in its place.

On the Linear Design speakers it sounded the same, may a little better on the base.

Dragged out the Concerto's, base was tight and clean mid and hi's were perfect.

l knew it was right when the wife says these sound better.

So off to Fantastic furniture for some cheap side tables to bring the Concerto's to listening height.

These also switch to the surround sound amp and you can hear a improvement in that too.

Left the TDL's out for now as there is replacement tweeters on there way and new caps going in.

The 920's stay in the study l dont want the heathens using them.

As for the Concerto's there staying and may get a black vinyl wrap as the brown looks dreary.

Linear designs go to mums for storage ( 2 cars there already)

Sansui AU101 goes up for sale.

So in daily duty we have 3 AU505's 2 with TU505 tuners a Marantz 2040, Marantz 920 speakers, 4 TDL Compact speakers, Kef Concerto's.

Sounds great to me and thats the important thing.

regards Bruce

Edited by sloper
opps
  • Like 2

I've loved the KEF Concertos since I heard them at someone else's place.  Sounded spectacular.  Alas none ever came up locally in Brisbane.

I've ended up with Chinese imports which are pretty spectacular considering their cost. WAF is good also. :)

Goodaye all

The TDL RTL3's were finished this morning, new caps and tweeters.

There pounding out now, first hour was rough but now he sound great.

Its a toss up if the Concerto's or RTL's sound better.

regards Bruce