Alternative streamers - anyone had experience?

Guest scumbag

3 minutes ago, PeteD said:

So are you looking for something like the new Dynaudio Music series of smart speaker?  Otherwise, there is always ChromeCast but I don't believe it's compatible with iPad.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/dynaudio-announces-music-intelligent-wireless-speaker-range

not looking for anything particularly atm. but was wondering about a second system and didnt like the idea of having to buy another aries mini.

yeah chrome cast i seen them at jb hifi. no compatibility with ipad or Apple Music unfortunately. 

and no smart speakers.....

1 hour ago, Steffen said:

So why not AirPlay? All you need is a WiFi network (not necessarily an Apple AirPort). There are lots of AirPlay compatible devices around.

Compatible yes. Standalone not so much.

7 hours ago, Happy said:

Compatible yes. Standalone not so much.

I don't know what you mean by that.

Depending on what equipment you already have there are several options to add iPad music streaming via AirPlay:

1. You have a traditional stereo system with speakers: The simplest way of adding AirPlay streaming is via an Airport Express (Toslink/minijack) or an old AppleTV (Toslink/minijack/HDMI).
  2. You have a system with a networked amp or AVR that contains a DAC: Chances are the amp/AVR is already AirPlay compatible, so you don't need to add anything.
  3. You have nothing: Get a Home Pod or Sonos or Naim Mu-So or any other AirPlay speaker and stream away.

All these options would use your home network to facilitate communication between streamer and iPad. In the case of the Airport Express you won't even need an existing home network, the AE can make one up for you. With all three options you can stream music you have stored on your iPad, or any sound that any of your apps produce, incl. apps like Music (formerly iTunes), Spotify, Tidal, GarageBand, YouTube, Safari, etc.

Edited by Steffen