Mc cartridges

18 hours ago, Hazzzy said:

I had a 33PTG on my LP12 until recently. Beautiful tracking performance and detail, but a little dry in that system. I had imported the cartridge from Japan and it was very good value. Replaced it with a considerably more expensive Dynavector. Its an oldish model now, i dont reckon i had more than a 100hrs on mine tbh. There is a Mk11 model which is even better. Its a good value cartridge, although i think the sellers original asking price is a bit high. Trust you did get a bit off it, enjoy your journey.

• Like 1

There is a Mk11 model.

Yes there is, I looked at the pricing for a new one. $850. Thought I would try second hand one to see if the sound does it for me or not. I might end up back with the mm cart!

Just found the mk2 at $745. Might be the next one.

Edited by Hazzzy

It's hard to resist the temptation of what a mc can achieve and it can be very special but it can also be an expensive experiment and you can find yourself running in circles.

SNA is a great tool to guide you in the right direction to analog nirvana.

On 15/07/2018 at 11:18 AM, Hazzzy said:

There is a Mk11 model.

Yes there is, I looked at the pricing for a new one. $850. Thought I would try second hand one to see if the sound does it for me or not. I might end up back with the mm cart!

Just found the mk2 at $745. Might be the next one.

You are already behind the looking glass!  ?

Now you'll fall down the rabbit hole!  ?

Andy

Guest jakeyb77

The Salience is a Jasmine in another guise. Very accomplished with the cap upgrade. So much so I have two. 

I run my AT F7 on 100ohms and sound mighty fine. 

33 minutes ago, Jakeyb77 said:

The Salience is a Jasmine in another guise. Very accomplished with the cap upgrade. So much so I have two. 

I run my AT F7 on 100ohms and sound mighty fine. 

jakey boy....thought u got rid of them?

Guest jakeyb77
2 hours ago, Happy said:

jakey boy....thought u got rid of them?

No mate. Sold the one I got off you. Missed it so much I bought another. Then last week bought your old one back off the member I sold it to. So now I have your old one again 

5 minutes ago, Jakeyb77 said:

No mate. Sold the one I got off you. Missed it so much I bought another. Then last week bought your old one back off the member I sold it to. So now I have your old one again 

Gotta say it’s a proven giant killer.

when u wanna get rid of it again consult me first pls :D

Guest jakeyb77
2 minutes ago, Happy said:

Gotta say it’s a proven giant killer.

when u wanna get rid of it again consult me first pls :D

Haha will do. 

So I got hold of the at33-ptg with the at-lh15 head shell. Have the overhang sorted, rested it on some vinyl and the tone arm seems to me to be a bit low at the cartridge end! The tone arm is down as low as it can go the other end. So I think I will need a spacer of some description, mabey 2 or 3 mm thick. Does this mean I am having fun? Any suggestions as to what it should be made of or can you buy spacers? This cartridge is a low rider compared to the denon I took off. The denon has a metal spacer between the head shell which is not that thick. I don't want to take that one apart as I think it is set up well.

Thanks

Just now, Hazzzy said:

So I got hold of the at33-ptg with the at-lh15 head shell. Have the overhang sorted, rested it on some vinyl and the tone arm seems to me to be a bit low at the cartridge end! The tone arm is down as low as it can go the other end. So I think I will need a spacer of some description, mabey 2 or 3 mm thick. Does this mean I am having fun? Any suggestions as to what it should be made of or can you buy spacers? This cartridge is a low rider compared to the denon I took off. The denon has a metal spacer between the head shell which is not that thick. I don't want to take that one apart as I think it is set up well.

Thanks

for the time being u could place an old record under the platter mat

Currently using an acrylic clear mat with felt under it which came with the deck. The original rubber mat also came with it as well. That would be a bit thicker, might try that.

FWIW, the acrylic mat may have been exacerbating the top end tilt you were experiencing with the Denon.

The rubber mat will provide a different tonal balance and may well be worth a try with the Denon too.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ophool said:

FWIW, the acrylic mat may have been exacerbating the top end tilt you were experiencing with the Denon.

The rubber mat will provide a different tonal balance and may well be worth a try with the Denon too.

Does an acrylic mat often accentuate the HF?

It was my experience with an acrylic platter (on which it was recommended to use no mat) that my then cartridge sounded harder and brighter than it did when I used a Funk Achromat on that same platter.

IIRC tnt-audio also found that the Funk mat improved on the Michell acrylic platter, though I do not now recall the stated differences.

I also recall that my experience of rubber mats was that they seemed to emphasise bass but had a somewhat deadening effect overall.

That said, IMO turntables have many interfaces where resonances need to be controlled and many interacting components, enough so that a good solution for one deck may well prove not so for another.

• Like 1

I just put the rubber mat on which almost levelled the arm to my eyes. Just had a listen to an album I am very familiar with with the new cartridge and I think I will be happily trying to wear it out. Hopefully 900 hrs. I am certain any highness is gone, just more of everything with an even spread high to low.I tried a couple of settings on the salience and I think 100ohms for my set up. Not sure if the mat has added anything to the sound but it helps get the arm almost right. I am thinking a thermostat gasket between the cart and head shell will satisfy my eyeballs. Anybody tried that? Or should it be something more solid. I am sure many have come up with a solution, I'm just not sure if the gasket idea has been tried. Anybody?

Many materials have been used as cartridge shims and for varying reasons, not by any means all in the attempt to level the headshell.

Conventional wisdom has it that altering the VTA by raising or lowering the arm (or by shimming the cartridge) is for the purpose of altering the SRA and the tonal balance (with more noticeable effect on more extreme stylus profiles).

This suggests that lowering the arm pivot point will emphasise bass and the converse the treble.

The change in SRA from quite significant raising or lowering is rather miniscule and I personally am not of the opinion that it needs adjustment for varying record thicknesses.

Naturally you are welcome to disagree and make your own observations and experiments.

I might suggest that if it sounds good then perhaps leave it for a few days and records until you become thoroughly familiar with the sound before trying further adjustment.

You can buy headshell spacers on ebay but they take a while to get here through the post and add some extra weight to the headshell.

eg. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Delrin-Headshell-Cartridge-Spacers-non-magnetic-non-inductive-turntable-VTA-Kit/112786061550?epid=688211582&hash=item1a4292b8ee:g:SsoAAOSwXf1acbRQ

Edited by rocky500
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, rocky500 said:

You can buy headshell spacers on ebay but they take a while to get here through the post and add some extra weight to the headshell.

eg. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Delrin-Headshell-Cartridge-Spacers-non-magnetic-non-inductive-turntable-VTA-Kit/112786061550?epid=688211582&hash=item1a4292b8ee:g:SsoAAOSwXf1acbRQ

man ur like 5 mins too late for me i just bought some generic nylon screws for the headshell could have bought this instead ?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Happy said:

man ur like 5 mins too late for me i just bought some generic nylon screws for the headshell could have bought this instead ?

If anyone wants a set quicker, I have one set and can sell it and order another. I want to keep a set as spare in case I need them (very handy) but can wait again for delivery.

Though they are quite thin. I had another from Duc (RIP) that was thicker and worked excellent in one of my turntables.

Edited by rocky500
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, ophool said:

I personally am not of the opinion that it needs adjustment for varying record thicknesses.

That's interesting. I only have one new vinyl and noticed the thickness compared to my collection from the 70s and 80s mostly. New vinyl would probably satisfy my eye balls as to the arm being level. I will play some more music for a few days and see.

26 minutes ago, rocky500 said:

This looks like what is on the denon cart. The screws and nuts wouldn't work with the at cart and headshell as there are 3 sets of holes for the screws, no adjustment and no nuts, adjustment at the neck.. But the thinner spacer is what might work.

I guess the gasket idea came from me thinking metal may interfere with the cartridge. Looks like not.

Edited by Hazzzy

I won't judge the denon dl-108 harshly due to the point being made regarding acrylic platters! Mabey the platter was involved, mabey not. I probably will never know as the at cart will be forever with me for testing purposes, as will the denon!!

1 hour ago, Hazzzy said:

I Just think a level arm to the vinyl is a good start.

I am in accord with that thought.

It is however worth noting that varying the VTF can have a more significant effect on SRA.

Glad that you seem happy with the AT cartridge, enjoy.

On 18/07/2018 at 4:27 PM, rocky500 said:

I went for this option after googling Delrin. Sounds like a good option and the cheapest.

On 18/07/2018 at 4:42 PM, rocky500 said:

If anyone wants a set quicker, I have one set and can sell it and order another

Generous offer, thanks. I am not in a hurry.

$1.30us gst.

I think I will use the thicker one on the at and replace the metal one on the denon with the thinner one. I will be happier with the metal spacer replaced with the delrin one.

Edited by Hazzzy