Sony Bravia SXRD projector

We are looking at a house that has a dedicated media room with Sony Bravia SXRD projector fitted, the house comes with the full media room intact. I'm guessing its around thirteen or so years old as that is when the house was originally built. My question for those in the know is, is this model projector reasonable?

I guess I already know the answer but as I can't turn it on and see what the picture looks like then I was hoping someone here might still know something about this projector.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out with any info.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

How come you can’t turn it on? The last 2 houses I sold, the projector stayed and we always had it on for prospective buyers during inspections. Just ask the agent if they could have it running next time you inspect the house.

Hi Al,

sorry I don't know the model but when I was there I took this picture, I hope that helps. As I said I'm pretty sure its a old one.

Re turning it on, its possible if we go back for a second viewing which we may well do, but at the time the salesperson didn't know how to.

cheers Terry

Sony Projector.jpg

Edited by TerryO

there should be a sticker around where all ports etc are with the model stamped on it. Sony makes a few projectors and has done over the years where the overall chasis etc looks a bit similar but different models. 

this could be a 30es

https://www.cnet.com/au/products/sony-vpl-hw30es-home-theatre-projector/review/

or a 50es ? 

https://www.cnet.com/au/products/sony-vpl-hw50es/review/

probably the 50 given the gloss finish. but worth checking the stamp. 

wont be as old as what were thinking. though how much used is question. might need a new lamp. 

the sonys suffer from degradation of the main chips in use/overtime. (google "SXRD panel degradation")

id say to answer your original question. yes reasonable... though depending on condition.... hours how many lamps been through etc. age we can guess... 6 years old.

when people throw stuff in with a house. I wouldnt personally pay anything for it. if they want to include sure. otherwise let them take it...

I'd sure not a little interest, probably best approach with this sort of thing.

• Like 1

Thanks Al,

The house is lived in no more than two months a year so in theory the projector has not had much use.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 1

I see Sony start using this design back in 2008 till now. It could be a ten years old HW10 or if you are lucky, a more recent HW65 or current HW45. A HW45 can be bought brand new for $3k. 

I just took down my decade old Sony SXRD VW80, which is supposed to be a higher end model back then, and replaced with a JVC. Can't really say mine has degrade over time, but projector of the past really can't compete with anything recent and decent. Even my $1k Benq blows it off in brightness and contrast. But if you are not comparing it side by side, it can still throw a beautiful picture. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mikeyday said:

I tend to agree, I haven't seen the Bravia logo used on the projectors for a few years so maybe a HW10 or HW15?

You have sharp eyes! ?

Thanks everyone, I tend to think it is a older Sony rather than newer. Still I don't have a projector or media room at present so I'm not complaining either way, if we buy the house then that just gives me something else to blow money on with upgradeitis.

cheers Terry