Narrow Integrated

A question that im sure has been asked before, but can't find much that suits my needs at the moment. Looking for a narrow integrated which will be sitting on a 30cm deep shelf. Only necessary feature is headphone out. A Dac is optional as I do have an external I could use. Subwoofer out is another optional which may come in handy in the future, but most likely won't use it. With the banana plugs and RCAs, I think max depth will need to be about 250mm. Budget around $1k. The only thing I have found so far is the Pro-ject MaiA DS. This is class D, 50w per channel. Will likely be running some not very efficient (sealed bookshelves) in a small room. Any ideas?

PS Audio Sprout?

At the other end of the $ spectrum would be the base model Naim Uniti Atom, thats pretty shallow from memory.

EDIT: Atom dimensions may still be too deep

Dimensions

• 95mm x 245mm x 265mm (HxWxD)

People can get carried away with power, I'm only running 50wpc, however my speakers are quite efficient, but I can still get to volumes my ears don't like in a large open plan room.

Edited by blybo

4 hours ago, blybo said:

PS Audio Sprout?

At the other end of the $ spectrum would be the base model Naim Uniti Atom, thats pretty shallow from memory.

The psaudio sprout100 seems interesting.  Along the lines of the pro-ject maia.  Are these available at any aussie retailers? 

I had a similar challenge. It's worth considering all the rear connections in depth measurement, and it will also depend on the rear profile of the amp and socket types used. My amp had a detachable power plug that was actually causing more depth issues than the speaker outputs. I replaced the one provided with a 90 degree power plug, which reduced depth from at least 50mm to 24mm.

RCA sockets can also be a challenge. You can get 90 degree adaptors but they can get pretty cramped and interfere with each other depending on socket spacing. In my case I reverted to short straight ones. They fortunately bend well but they're now the sockets adding the most depth (38mm from the back panel).

Finally - I'll let someone more qualified than me speak on this - but I think optical cable doesn't like tight bends. It may be a good reason to go for a straight analogue amp, and let a smaller DAC unit deal with those cables. Otherwise, you might need to allow 7cm + socket depth for a 90 degree bend. Again, I could be wrong on this but worth checking before buying.

15 hours ago, Darryl said:

I don't know if you'll entertain vintage or not but the NAD 3020 isn't very deep, and RCA connections are vertical.

NAD+3020_Rear.jpg

...and a hard wired electrical cable. ?

Edited by t_mike
  • Like 1

Thanks for the help guys. In the end I found out Pro-Ject was releasing a new amp this month in Aus, the maiA DS2. This is an upgrade to the Maia and Maia DS which adds more power.
http://www.box-designs.com/inhalt/en/pdf/maiads2.pdf

240mm deep. I will make this work and will report back on the most important thing, the sound! I will just be running the USB input from my PC.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...