Simonon

Best crossover frequency for ribbon super tweeter

Posted (edited)

Every ESL owner/fiddler needs one of these Sensitive Research Electrostatic Volt Meters if they can find one still working. Measuring ESL's B+ without one is impossible.

Cheers George

Sensitive-Research-Electrostatic-Voltmeter-ESD-Perfect-Shape.jpg

Edited by georgehifi

Here are my 1st generation retro steampunk look ribbons for my vintage speakers. Really just a test platform made from junk. I have a switchable 1st order 11k and 9k 2nd order crossover to play with.
May need some attenuation but only time will tell. A fun knock up which will be rebuilt with some nicer timber if I like the result. Early indications are good.18e00c5d2f345888de5c9da58cd8bf79.jpg

And b4 anyone asks the tube is just a crazy idea for show. a754a0a948f354a39482c1e69c5ebf7c.jpg

This is surprisingly accurate for measuring crossover capacitors and inductors when compared to my didital LCR meter. Dates from 1950 and is all original including the magic eye tube.
Philips 4144/01 universal bridge.
Going to restore and calibrate it because its just cool. Sorry another distraction from the topic of ribbon tweeters.7a84290b99fdfc699764acd0eb551052.jpg

My ribbon tweeter project for my 1964 ABC Wharfedales has gone well with a bit of continuing fine tuning. I have been playing with REW audio software and a UMIK-1 calibrated mic and am surprised how these old speakers perform out to 20khz. The waterfall plot is from my listening position with no room treatments and the ribbons set for 9k 2nd order. I now have a very nice balanced high frequency response and airiness that was not present before.

The main thing is that I am having fun playing having rebuilt my tube amps in the process for big improvements in soundstage. It is very interesting to see what ones room is actually doing with the mic and REW software.

waterfall plot.jpg

Good man Simon.

This is a truly unique,  one of a kind system. Those old ABC active wardrobes seduce all who lay ears upon them. Glad to see the latest experiment is reaping the results you were chasing.