Best crossover frequency for ribbon super tweeter

Guest Simonon

Every ESL owner/fiddler needs one of these Sensitive Research Electrostatic Volt Meters if they can find one still working. Measuring ESL's B+ without one is impossible.

Cheers George

Sensitive-Research-Electrostatic-Voltmeter-ESD-Perfect-Shape.jpg

Edited by georgehifi
  • Like 1

Guest Simonon

Here are my 1st generation retro steampunk look ribbons for my vintage speakers. Really just a test platform made from junk. I have a switchable 1st order 11k and 9k 2nd order crossover to play with.
May need some attenuation but only time will tell. A fun knock up which will be rebuilt with some nicer timber if I like the result. Early indications are good.18e00c5d2f345888de5c9da58cd8bf79.jpg

Guest Simonon

This is surprisingly accurate for measuring crossover capacitors and inductors when compared to my didital LCR meter. Dates from 1950 and is all original including the magic eye tube.
Philips 4144/01 universal bridge.
Going to restore and calibrate it because its just cool. Sorry another distraction from the topic of ribbon tweeters.7a84290b99fdfc699764acd0eb551052.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Simonon

My ribbon tweeter project for my 1964 ABC Wharfedales has gone well with a bit of continuing fine tuning. I have been playing with REW audio software and a UMIK-1 calibrated mic and am surprised how these old speakers perform out to 20khz. The waterfall plot is from my listening position with no room treatments and the ribbons set for 9k 2nd order. I now have a very nice balanced high frequency response and airiness that was not present before.

The main thing is that I am having fun playing having rebuilt my tube amps in the process for big improvements in soundstage. It is very interesting to see what ones room is actually doing with the mic and REW software.

waterfall plot.jpg

Good man Simon.

This is a truly unique,  one of a kind system. Those old ABC active wardrobes seduce all who lay ears upon them. Glad to see the latest experiment is reaping the results you were chasing.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 10/07/2018 at 10:53 PM, Guest Simonon said:

Hi Andy

The amps are built into the back of the speakers so replacing is not an option. I think you are right with the 9khz 2nd order crossover as this was my thought also.  I doubt these tube amps pass much beyond 15k if anything as they date from 1964. I am very curious into what these ribbons will achieve.

I am about to give the amps a birthday with some 5% metal film resistors and some nice foil capacitors. Measured heaps of drift with the old carbons.

The ribbon exercise will cost me about 40 dollars with some inductors and caps for the crossover. If I don't like the result nothing is lost.

DSC02004.JPG

Nice A54 amps with ferguson transformers instead of the trimax very nice sound