bfhoon1

mixing 6 ohm and 8 ohm speakers

I currently have a onkyo txnr616 av receiver and have a 5.1 channel klipsch synergy speaker system connected up to it all speakers 8 ohms. I just acquired 2 small jamo speakers which im going to use as surrounds on the back they state 6ohms and also have 80w / 130watt written on the back of them. I have heard people saying before be careful as you can lessen the life of your amp by doing this. Do I have anything to worry about? 

Posted (edited)

Given the specs of the receiver

• 165 W/Ch (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 1% THD, 1 Channel Driven, IEC);

While i would take the 165W with a pinch of salt,  given it states at 6 ohms,  it would suggest your receiver is perfectly fine to run 6 ohm speakers so i wouldn't be concerned

Edited by steffanth
typo

So it doesnt really matter about mixing 6 ohm and 8 ohn speakers? Couldnt there be a chance of blowing them is the amp is giving 165 watts and they are 80w/130w? How come they have 2 stated wattages on them. I had them up volume 60 with the rest of my speakers and they seem to go allright. Get really nice bass out of these speakers for their tiny tiny size

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, bfhoon1 said:

So it doesnt really matter about mixing 6 ohm and 8 ohn speakers? Couldnt there be a chance of blowing them is the amp is giving 165 watts and they are 80w/130w? How come they have 2 stated wattages on them. I had them up volume 60 with the rest of my speakers and they seem to go allright. Get really nice bass out of these speakers for their tiny tiny size

I'm running mixed Speaker Impedance of 6Ω (3 Infinity Speakers FR, FL C) & 8Ω (4 Speakers SL & SR (Boston Acoustics VRS Pro) & Atmos FDR & FDL (Pioneer SP-T22A-LR)) using a Sony DN1080 that is configured as a 5.1.2 setup. The included doco with Receiver says it won't drive 4Ω Impedance Speakers. I've had no issues.

Edited by bizzibee

The maximum power draw of your amp is 620W

If we are generous and say the amps run at 70% efficiency then you have 434W at max volume.

The 165 stated for the receiver is at 6 ohms.  1 channel driven.  that means only running 1 speaker.  if you have 4 speakers connected...the max you will get is 434 divided by 4.  Your more likely to damage your speakers by clipping due to pushing the amp too hard than by overpowering them.  I have my mains rated at 300W and i am powering them with an amp thats 550W per channel 2 channels driven.