1080 BD player

Hi all,

i have a first gen sony s350 bd player back in 2008 or 2009. Takes a long time to load the newer BD’s. Picture quality is top notch though. Can anyone recommend one that won’t break the bank and load BD’s faster? I have a jvc x35 projector so only 1080P requires.

One that has 3D would be a bonus too. Would these 1080P players bitstream atmos to the amp?

Having dual hdmi would be good too but I guess not many around?

or don’t bother?

Thanks.

K.

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 4:57 PM, k3nnis888 said:

ok thanks. So it can't bitstream atmos even though if the amp has atmos decoding? I know some BD 1080P media has atmos soundtracks

You can indeed bitstream atmos to your avr;s atmos   decoder no problem with a standard bluray player  @k3nnis888 :)

Note newer release atmos releases are placed on UHD discs rather than SD bluray  ones so going forward its a wise move to buy a UHD player as it will play older atmos SD discs as well as the new ones  B)

It comes down to the bluray piggybacking the atmos track in its metadata , if your avr has a atmos decoder its hdmi edid will send this comms message to  your player , if theres no decoder the metadata will be ignored and you will get the lossless track only ie dolby truehd ..   

If you want a UHD player that can  adapt a UHD disc to a 1080p display the pana's have great dynamic range conversion to outdo an ordinary sd bluray ; heres one with dual hdmi about to be released ; https://www.panasonic.com/au/consumer/home-entertainment/blu-ray-and-dvd-players/dp-ub420.html 

You  will need a hd fury linker or similar though for your JVC to lose all the DRC and hdmi bandwidth limits.., 

Edited by cwt

Thanks cwt. I heard most if not all 4k blu rays players won’t downconvert to 1080p nicely ? Ie won’t be as good as a 1080P BD player outputting to a 1080P projector?

thoughts?

also I have seen SD BD disks having atmos soundtrack. Do you mean from now on newer releases only have atmos on the UHD disk?

if I don’t use a linker what would happen?

Edited by k3nnis888

3 minutes ago, k3nnis888 said:

Thanks cwt. I heard most if not all 4k blu rays players won’t downconvert to 1080p nicely ? Ie won’t be as good as a 1080P BD player outputting to a 1080P projector?

thoughts?

also I have seen SD BD disks having atmos soundtrack. Do you mean from now on newer releases only have atmos on the UHD disk?

I dont know who fed you that. theres nothing at all wrong with 4k uhd players playing 1080p or feeding 1080p.

many blu-ray discs have atmos and 3D audio, but yes many titles only have the atmos/3D audio  track on the uhd disc.

I run dual screens, 1080p old pioneer kuro and uhd projector. all the uhd players I have had oppo, samsung and pana have all fed the old kuro 1080p no problems at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, :) al said:

I dont know who fed you that. theres nothing at all wrong with 4k uhd players playing 1080p or feeding 1080p.

many blu-ray discs have atmos and 3D audio, but yes many titles only have the atmos/3D audio  track on the uhd disc.

Ok thanks. I read a couple of reviews online. Let me see if I can find it :)

4 minutes ago, k3nnis888 said:

Ok thanks. I read a couple of reviews online. Let me see if I can find it :)

I dont need reviews ... Ive been using them last nearly 2 years :D

3 minutes ago, :) al said:

I dont need reviews ... Ive been using them last nearly 2 years :D

Haha. So is the Panasonic the one to go for? So does the player do the Down conversion to 1080P or does the projector do it?

and do I need a linker to make it work?

also do any of these UHD players playback mkv with atmos ? 

Just now, k3nnis888 said:

Haha. So is the Panasonic the one to go for? So does the player do the Down conversion to 1080P or does the projector do it?

and do I need a linker to make it work?

also do any of these UHD players playback mkv with atmos ? 

you dont need a linker. the player will just see your 1080p display and will output 1080p thats it. it all works seamlessly now days. in early days it was a headache wiht the hand shakes but that got solved about week 1 into the uhd format for most makers eg samsung and pana at the time. same with the oppo took them a week to sort that out once player was released. 

id stick to the pana suggested by cwt.

29 minutes ago, k3nnis888 said:

if I don’t use a linker what would happen?

As Al said compatibility is important for TV'S especially when hdmi versions are changing frequently ..New processors are quite proficient at getting the maximum capability from even older displays . You see standard bd s use rec709 colour space but UHD uses an expanded BTR2020 and that's not even including HDR  highlighting. The new year models have the choice of bitmapping in the player  ' last years relied on the display ,... This has obvious benefits for things like projectors and displays that aren't light cannons like oleds :)

Dynamic Range Conversion reproduces images with greater brightness and beauty than ordinary Blu-ray disc images, when played on a non-HDR TV with standard dynamic range (SDR-TV). This feature maximises the image expression that is inherent to Ultra HD Blu-ray.

https://news.panasonic.com.au/2018/04/12/panasonic-expands-industrys-widest-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-range/

The linker is only needed to get around your hdmi version and hdcp if you were playing a uhd disc to a uhd capable display ; I think you may be only hdmi 1.4 not hdmi 2.0;hdcp2.2 for the full quid :) 

Edited by cwt

Grab the Panasonic UB400 its quite cheap and does everything you want.

Dual hdmi (though you wont need it if your just running 1080 displays), atmos, 3D and decodes everything pretty well.

When i first purchased mine i just changed the output to 1080p in the player (can set to auto, but as i had a 4k receiver it sometimes mixed the resolution a little), and worked very well with 1080p material. Now i have upgraded to 4k display and 4k projector i just set to auto. 

Great unit.

Can always buy a cheap $100 BD player that will do everything you want. Check out the classified page, been quite a few UB300/400 and sony's pop up as people have opted for higher end models. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Johnny_Boy said:

Grab the Panasonic UB400 its quite cheap and does everything you want.

Dual hdmi (though you wont need it if your just running 1080 displays), atmos, 3D and decodes everything pretty well.

When i first purchased mine i just changed the output to 1080p in the player (can set to auto, but as i had a 4k receiver it sometimes mixed the resolution a little), and worked very well with 1080p material. Now i have upgraded to 4k display and 4k projector i just set to auto. 

Great unit.

Can always buy a cheap $100 BD player that will do everything you want. Check out the classified page, been quite a few UB300/400 and sony's pop up as people have opted for higher end models. 

Thanks for the info. Yeah UB400 sounds good. By the way what is BD Live and Java, are these things still on current BD's?

3 minutes ago, k3nnis888 said:

Thanks for the info. Yeah UB400 sounds good. By the way what is BD Live and Java, are these things still on current BD's?

BD live was added years ago and adds some online elements to extra features. It allows additional extras to added to a site and the BD disk will allow access. I've never used it and don't think too many BD's have a great deal of content.

BD-Java is just a newish standard for special features. picture in picture stuff. Again pretty much all players have this and not a big deal. 

All still around, but not that big a deal. 

1 minute ago, Johnny_Boy said:

BD live was added years ago and adds some online elements to extra features. It allows additional extras to added to a site and the BD disk will allow access. I've never used it and don't think too many BD's have a great deal of content.

BD-Java is just a newish standard for special features. picture in picture stuff. Again pretty much all players have this and not a big deal. 

All still around, but not that big a deal. 

ok thanks. Reason I ask is for my Sony S350 BD player I need to connect the ethernet to my network and perhaps place a USB stick at the back for it to have these features? :)

7 minutes ago, k3nnis888 said:

ok thanks. Reason I ask is for my Sony S350 BD player I need to connect the ethernet to my network and perhaps place a USB stick at the back for it to have these features? :)

If the sony doesnt have wireless, then yes, you will need a Ethernet cable to access the web/BD live features. 

again, its really not that amazing. I checked out a few features a few years ago and never used it since. (old BD player). Only thing i've used the ethernet cable for was for updating firmware a little easier (can still do that on usb). and some streaming stuff

Cheers

1 hour ago, k3nnis888 said:

Thanks. Mine doesn't even have streaming it's that old haha. 

How do I know which BD media has web/BD live features?

Really old ones that may say bd live on their dustjackets; if the websites are still online...? . The bd marketers decided that other things like ultraviolet copies had more pull eventually so that's what we get on a lot of discs ?