Roon now supports Chromecast Audio

Yesterday I received an update to Roon and an hour or so later the accompanying email informing me that Roon now supports Chromecast audio streaming and with video Chromecast devices will also show album art, etc.

I don’t yet own a Chromecast but have been wondering what I would do for getting Roon audio playback into a couple of other devices around the house like this old beast which lives in my study - without building a Raspberry PI.

8601034964cfe2a482156845c0ba3025.jpg

Seems there is now an easy solution with a $59 Chromecast Audio. Has anyone tried sending audio to Chromecast since the update?

1 hour ago, astormsau said:

Yesterday I received an update to Roon and an hour or so later the accompanying email informing me that Roon now supports Chromecast audio streaming and with video Chromecast devices will also show album art, etc.

I don’t yet own a Chromecast but have been wondering what I would do for getting Roon audio playback into a couple of other devices around the house like this old beast which lives in my study - without building a Raspberry PI.

8601034964cfe2a482156845c0ba3025.jpg

Seems there is now an easy solution with a $59 Chromecast Audio. Has anyone tried sending audio to Chromecast since the update?

Now THAT is a stereo!!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, awayward said:

I have a Chomecast device connected via hdmi into my surround sound receiver, enabled Chromecast in Roon, selected my Chromecast as a zone, press play, bingo.

3965516A-3DB5-4217-8B9C-FF387767F9E5.jpeg

I had Agnes on this morning too. ?

11 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

I had Agnes on this morning too. ?

I added it to Roon this morning after your post, haven’t heard her before, will give it a quality listen later when I finish my domestic duties.

See some people do listen to what you have say ?

• Haha 1

On 07/07/2018 at 9:24 AM, astormsau said:

Hey mate, does the old beast take an analogue input/s?

Chromecast Audio has a combination 3.5mm analogue & optical output.

Does the old beast take 3.5mm analogue in? If so, you should be able to pickup a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable at JB (along with a Chromecast Audio unit while you're there).

Cheers

Edited by Music2496
  • Like 1

Hehe the beast has line in and line out and also phono input as well, so one of those screws is a ground terminal. I am yet to try connecting the RP8 as I think it might be overkill :)

I currently run a Teac A2300sx reel to reel into the beast so will have to dig out my old analog audio switching box :)

7 minutes ago, astormsau said:

Hehe the beast has line in and line out and also phono input as well, so one of those screws is a ground terminal. I am yet to try connecting the RP8 as I think it might be overkill :)

I currently run a Teac A2300sx reel to reel into the beast so will have to dig out my old analog audio switching box :)

Hehe nice. The old beast is about to step into the streaming world.

Edited by Music2496