DAC with analogue volume control

Hi

I haven’t kept up to date with the latest DACs, but need need to find one that ideally has analogue volume control and balanced output - it will be my only source and I would like to connect it direct to a Mac MC275 power amp. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The Mytek Brooklyn + looks ideal (just in budget second hand ), but are there other options? I don’t need headphone amp/phono amp, fancy case, etc. thanks for reading. 

Metrum Jade should be worth considering if you want both R2R and analog volume control (but no DSD). Actually not a lot more expensive than Brooklyn+ in RRP, particularly if you will add a good 12V LPS for Brooklyn too.

4 hours ago, gt1482 said:

Metrum Jade should be worth considering if you want both R2R and analog volume control (but no DSD). Actually not a lot more expensive than Brooklyn+ in RRP, particularly if you will add a good 12V LPS for Brooklyn too.

Nice - but getting expensive.  I recently saw a Brooklyn+ used for $2k, so I'd like to keep it around that price point.

On 13/07/2018 at 9:26 PM, seaninbrisbane said:

Any thoughts on the Topping DX7s?  Is the volume control digital or analogue?  Thanks

Update: looks like it is a type of digital (chip) volume control.

Guest Misterioso
On 10/7/2018 at 3:59 PM, seaninbrisbane said:

I recently saw a Brooklyn+ used for $2k, so I'd like to keep it around that price point.

You should have bought it. There are not many options. I was in this market myself recently.

2 minutes ago, blybo said:

looks like the newer M-DAC+ has analogue volume

http://www.audiolab.co.uk/product-detail.php?pid=17

Are you sure? "Digital preamplifier" does not sound like analog volume control.

18 minutes ago, seaninbrisbane said:

I'm now thinking about the PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC.  Thoughts?

I found the soundstage weird with a hollow central image... if that makes sense, all left and right. I demo'ed one before getting my Moon Neo Ace

37 minutes ago, Plattenspieler said:

Are you sure? "Digital preamplifier" does not sound like analog volume control.

You may well be right. The 8200CDQ certainly is analogue volume though.

Hmmmm, lots to think about.  If on the other hand I considered digital attenuation, which DACs do this well?  I often listen at lower volumes.  Thanks.

32bit from the DaC chip with my dac i found above -20db is good but below to robs a bit of life from the music. if i didn’t have a analogue tuner i would have ditch the pre amp.

In the end I bought an RME ADI-2 DAC (http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/adi_2-dac.php).  I'll probably end up adding a pre-amp in the future, but for the time being I will be able to adjust the output level:

From the manual:   To maintain an optimum level for devices connected to the analog outputs and to maximize the
dynamic range, the ADI-2 DAC internally uses hi-quality electronic switches, which realize a
hardware based Reference Level selection in steps of 6 dB over a range of 18 dB: +1 dBu, +7
dBu, +13 dBu and +19 dBu.

So I guess I'll play around with these settings for a while and use digital volume control.

Wow - I’ve  just been reading all the reviews & it sounds like an amazing unit with massive flexibility. 

I can only dream of ever reaching that level of sophistication in my products - well something to aim for anyway.

It looks like good value too at $2k in Aus ??

Sounds like it’s using the AK4490 which is an excellent DAC chip & what I used in my Klein DAC’s.

Now the only improvement I can think of would be a nice low noise linear PSU to replace the supplied SMPS unit.

It just so happens that I am about to release a new 12v 4A PSU which would be ideal.

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Wow - I’ve  just been reading all the reviews & it sounds like an amazing unit with massive flexibility. 

I can only dream of ever reaching that level of sophistication in my products - well something to aim for anyway.

It looks like good value too at $2k in Aus ??

Sounds like it’s using the AK4490 which is an excellent DAC chip & what I used in my Klein DAC’s.

Now the only improvement I can think of would be a nice low noise linear PSU to replace the supplied SMPS unit.

It just so happens that I am about to release a new 12v 4A PSU which would be ideal.

Would be keen to learn more about the PSU - please let me know when you have details.  Best wishes, Sean