SOtM new 200 NEO versions

Interesting isn't it. They say it sounds different but it's still just bits coming out to the USB DAC. I hope they're still the same bits!

I have an Ultra so upgrading is only US$30. It must just be a software change. At least you should be able to go back to the original version if it is.

Not sure if I would call it an upgrade if the original version has little more dynamics. Wish it would be easy to switch between the 2 versions, but it sounds more like some hardware changes. It will cost a lot more than $30 for the return trip to Korea if the change has to be done there.

• Like 1

Bass expressions does interest me in this new version . Although i do like the deepness in sound the standard 200 gives . I might try the ultra neo later in the year .

I am confused about the prices mentioned .. im not sure what they mean ? I did read that the neo will have a different power board so maybe prices are related to that ?

3 hours ago, a.dent said:

I have an Ultra so upgrading is only US$30. It must just be a software change. At least you should be able to go back to the original version if it is.

I was puzzled by the announcement.  Do we return it to Crux?  And what about 2nd hand units? And at $30, shipping cost may double that?

Guest gnnett

Response from May at SOtM:

" we are trying to guide our local partners to make this change done at their end in the next week, so if you wish to change the version, please wait till the local partner can support to make the original version to Neo version, but if they wont support, the unit should be shipped to us for the change "

I would guess late August would be reasonably optimistic.

Cheers

Gn

If I read the press release correctly, I gotta say that the implication of less dynamics in the upgrade isn’t quite an upgrade IMHO, even with improvements elsewhere. I’ll be very interested to hear about A/B comparisons if anyone is able to do that.

Interesting isn't it. They say it sounds different but it's still just bits coming out to the USB DAC. I hope they're still the same bits!

Why software change need to send back to Korea? I thought it can be downloaded and then upgrade firmware ourself?

9 hours ago, everydayIs25 said:

Why software change need to send back to Korea? I thought it can be downloaded and then upgrade firmware ourself?

I was just speculating after reading it only cost $30.

Now we know they are changing some power board components.

I contacted Kamal from Crux Audio to let him know about this thread.

Thanks for letting me know about the thread. We are aware of the new versions, and are putting something together to make it cost effective for our clients in Australia. I’ll get back to you on that as soon as possible.

Not sure whether he is a member here.  If not, will post when he replies via email...

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Already own a sMS-200ultra? Upgrades are available for $120 plus shipping costs back and forth to South Korea. Please contact us for details.

Kamal never got back to me, but I found this on Crux Audio  AU website.  I checked Toll shipping to South Korea is $80 to $90 including insurance. So all up for upgrade is about $300.  Plus no Ultra for 2 to 3 weeks at least.  Mmmm...  :unsure:    Upgrade may not be as compelling as I first thought!  

7 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Kamal never got back to me, but I found this on Crux Audio  AU website.  I checked Toll shipping to South Korea is $80 to $90 including insurance. So all up for upgrade is about $300.  Plus no Ultra for 2 to 3 weeks at least.  Mmmm...  :unsure:    Upgrade may not be as compelling as I first thought!  

I have shipped an sMS-200ultra to SOTM before for some other work. Costed me less than $80 for the round trip. Used Auspost to send it and picked EMS for the return trip. Just had to make sure the package didn't weigh over 1kg (ultra in the original box is just under 1kg) or it would be more expensive.

Sounds like it would be much cheaper to get SOTM to do it directly for USD30 + shipping.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gt1482 said:

I have shipped an sMS-200ultra to SOTM before for some other work. Costed me less than $80 for the round trip. ....

Good tip...  was it insured?

25 minutes ago, gt1482 said:

Sounds like it would be much cheaper to get SOTM to do it directly for USD30 + shipping.

It is USD30 for internals change, USD80 for change including front plate.

10 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Good tip...  was it insured?

It is USD30 for internals change, USD80 for change including front plate.

Don't think the Auspost trip was insured but it can be added for a cost. The return trip I am not sure. SOTM didn't mention insurance and I didn't bother to ask.

Yeah, USD30 is for internal only, but at least you have this option which is not offered by Crux. The USD50 saved is almost enough for shipping.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

26 minutes ago, RussB said:

The first comment after his video is interesting. Hopefully we can come up with a local solution even if the adjustment is not made by SOTM.

I doubt it.

Just wondering aloud whether we should pool together and ship our SMS-200 together to SOtM ourselves?   I know at least 3 owners in Melbourne. 

I doubt it.

Just wondering aloud whether we should pool together and ship our SMS-200 together to SOtM ourselves?   I know at least 3 owners in Melbourne. 

Could be worth thinking about. I guess if shipping to Korea it is also an opportunity to get an additional clock point fitted for those looking to go down the clocked switch path.

Wanted to chime in here with the info I've been given from Crux. The upgrade cost going through local channels is $120 plus the return postage cost. So should be $200-ish. The Neo changes are simply a small tweak to the internal power board. And so with that second comment, I wonder if the better investment is to add a linear power supply if you haven't already...?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Krispy Audio said:

Wanted to chime in here with the info I've been given from Crux. The upgrade cost going through local channels is $120 plus the return postage cost. So should be $200-ish. The Neo changes are simply a small tweak to the internal power board. And so with that second comment, I wonder if the better investment is to add a linear power supply if you haven't already...?

$200 is costly for Std SMS-200 owners to upgrade, especially when second hand ones are going for around mid $400s.  It will be just as easy to get a new Neo and sell the old one.

More likely for Ultra owners to upgrade...

And most people are likely to have PSUs. It is the first upgrade that I would recommend and gives a significant improvement.

3 minutes ago, rocl444 said:

posts on Computer Audiophile say the only thing that is changed is a single capacitor on the supply board. most of the cost is to change the faceplate.

It does open up the possibility of a DIY upgrade once warranty expires.

• Like 1