Sign in to follow this  
doobre

3030 + 1008 for 11.1 - connection help plzzz

I know this should be easy, but....
I have been trying to use the multi-channel input of the Onkyo 1008 to power the line outputs for three pairs of surround/atmos from the Yamaha 3030.. to lessen the load on the yami... that's all.

However, once I connect the three pairs of speakers to the outputs of the Onk, I am unable to select the 'multi-channel' input on the Onk. It will show the speakers are connected (tick) and seems to be fixed in stereo output on all three pairs (tick!?) [and the onk recognises the source is from the yamaha] but I cannot change the input selector to the 'multi-channel' input.

Is there something special about the multi-channel input..? will it only work if all of its multi-channel inputs have an input connected...?!?!

I CAN achieve what I want to do, IF I use the main output of the Onk in stereo for one surround pair and the powered output of zones 1 and 2 for the other two pairs... but that seems wasteful, and ties up two zones which I would like to use for another setup.

It seems like I am doing something stupid for this NOT to work.. Help anyone!??

Edited by doobre
additional

You have to use the BD/DVD input, and then set up multi-channel.

What you need is in a second menu system, so you need to have a TV hooked up to the Onkyo so you can see them.

You also need to do this with the remote control, not the front panel buttons.

PROCEDURE:

Turn on the receiver.

On the remote control, press 'Receiver' to make sure it's in the right mode.

Select the BD/DVD input.

Now press the 'Home' button (picture of a house).

Select 'Audio'.

Scroll down to 'Audio Selector'.

Select 'Multich'.

Exit from the menu system.

Now whenever you use the BD/DVD input, it will use the analogue multi-channel inputs.

All this is on pages 27 and 62 of the manual, but it's not very easy to understand.

Cheers,

Jason.

Thank you very much for taking time to reply and help me out.. I will try it tomorrow but it does sound like it is the bit of info I was missing...

Standby 

Success.. excellent info thank you very much KOPUTAI.. you were right on target..

I realise now that since I do not have a working remote I could not access the home menu, and complete the setup.. and thanks to the "quality" components used by Onkyo in their manufacturing at that time, the remote had not worked for many years, in particular the most used such as the 'home'...

But thanks to the networking access I downloaded and tried the Onkyo android app [https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onkyo.jp.onkyoremote].. and this gave me access to the home menu..

So a big thanks to you.... and for any users without a working remote (for sure there are many) don't overlook the networking apps.

The remotes can generally be resurrected by cleaning the contacts under the rubber buttons, they rarely actually die.

Cheers,

Jason.