Sign in to follow this  
HiFi-Man

SOLD: FS: Tannoy Berkeley ( HPD 385 15" Dual Concentric Drivers )

Item: Tannoy Berkeley
Price: $3000 firm
Item Condition: Very good condition, Please see the photos and videos.
Reason for selling: Moved to a small house.
Payment Method: Pickup -  Bank transfer, Paypal, COD.

Extra Info

I'm the second owner and bought them from the original owner in Kew, Melbourne. Never thought of selling them as I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to find another pair in this beautiful condition.  Moved to a small house and I need to let this go to welcome my next Tannoys. 

I have tried a huge number of speakers in past (Not listing them here as I'm not interested in a debate here). Stopped buying anything else for myself after listening to 15" Dual concentric Tannoys. Now I'm going through the phase of trying different Tannoys :)  

-  Original Tannoy Berkeley cabinets in excellent condition.

- They sound beautiful with signature Tannoy HPD385 sound.

- Surrounds are recently replaced with original ones from UK.

- Crossovers are untouched.

- Speaker cable binding posts are upgraded to fit thicker cables and banana plugs (Original binding posts can be provided to the buyer).

Prefer someone local who can collect them directly and pay cash. Please add 3% extra if paid through Paypal. Buyer needs to arrange packing and courier if required.

My advice: You need medium or large size room to enjoy them. Replace the crossover Caps with Mundorf Evo Oil or ClarityCap MR as the original capacitors are 40+ years old.

I won't be online all time to give a quick reply here, so message me for my contact number if you are interested and need any more info. 

Video:

Recorded using my mobile phone. Not the correct amplifier to get the best out of them, but still they sound pretty decent in that room (my previous house).

Pictures:

P1020144.thumb.JPG.ae85b5def8801450405dcd6de14f1ea5.JPG

P1020116.thumb.JPG.fc64e41d5447c14098c31727297a72ac.JPG

P1020117.thumb.JPG.d3869f3d8c77c9860f9f619ec690774c.JPG

P1020138.thumb.JPG.fcb47ff2e1329fd0eb161abf214c08d6.JPG

P1020118.thumb.JPG.567763aef4bed1e2730b476b705864a1.JPG

P1020137.thumb.JPG.29185cd902a5d7b4fe83481553aa3a30.JPG

P1020139.thumb.JPG.5a42109d12acefc6cc1c5c7857c8103f.JPG

20180701_215017.thumb.jpg.134b9e250d08301142bc52e0063aaf6e.jpg

20180701_215100.thumb.jpg.14f66bcbe223d47bf465b343dbc26fb4.jpg

20180701_214845.thumb.jpg.8a48cc1b9dc5dc7459a650b4af285a47.jpg

20180701_215624.thumb.jpg.e957ca0ff4075292f32089f765a44b69.jpg

20180701_215852.jpg.83df2038dc178eb7cda099855d5c4dbd.jpg

20180701_220524.thumb.jpg.16b4c4d775e1d7a9c74781a67ad3ed5f.jpg

20180701_220730.thumb.jpg.4c516d0a4efa9eea85d5e0064b4b1401.jpg

20180701_215216.jpg

Edited by HiFi-Man

I have had HPD's a few times over the years.  

If your into the Tannoy sound they are a nice compromise between the old school Tannoy sound and the newer more modern sounding models.  

As your probably aware they change sound quite a lot depending on what amp you use (the strutted cone and heavier voice coil loves a powerful high damping factor amp) and the crossover can be upgraded for very large improvements in sound.

They are a great driver to play with as a diyer also and can sound totally different in different cabinets (mine sounded excellent in front/ rear loaded horns and also 300 litre ported boxes).

Your drivers look in great condition and having the mesh still on the front of the cone suggests they haven't been played with and are nice and original.

Good luck with the sale.

LPG

9 hours ago, Lansche plasma guy said:

As your probably aware they change sound quite a lot depending on what amp you use (the strutted cone and heavier voice coil loves a powerful high damping factor amp) and the crossover can be upgraded for very large improvements in sound.

Interesting.

I agree with the first and last part ...   but I found the opposite to the bolded part (current drive was beneficial... and high power is not required - the cone is quite light relatively speaking) .... I used a DSP crossover.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By d_caruso
      Item: Tannoy Revolution XT6F floorstanding speakers - dark walnut
      Price: $1100 now $890 for a quick sale
      Item Condition: Unmarked and as new (but run in of course). 
      Reason for selling: upgraded
      Payment Method: Pickup in PERTH (SOR) only - Cash, Paypal, bank transfer
      Extra Info: I bought these new about 3 years ago, but they’ve had very little use. They’ve been used to play vinyl at family friendly listening levels and powered (easily) by a 20ish watt SET amp. The rave reviews you’ll find by googling are all true IMO. I think this one is spot on: https://www.whathifi.com/tannoy/revolution-xt6f/review. The soundstage, accuracy and timing of the drivers are amazing, I reckon. So taken am I with the dual concentric concept I splurged on the new Tannoy Cheviots, so these are sitting unused and need to go.
      Donation to SN on sale.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By CorzaMoon
      Item: Precision 6P Passive Monitor speaker
      Price: $500 O.N.O
      Item Condition: Used. Excellent.
      Reason for selling: No longer needed
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash or Delivery - Paypal
      Extra Info:
      For sale 2 Tannoy Precision 6P speakers in excellent condition.
      Designed in the UK. 6" dual concentric driver, super tweeter, backfacing bass port. 120w max power handling. The sound is amazing, with plenty of realistic detailing.
      Small screw holes at the base from previous owner, but overall in beautiful physical and working condition. No issues with any of the drivers. Well looked after.

• By Vladas
      Item:  Pair of 2014 Tannoy Prestige Kensington SE loudspeakers. Designed and made in the UK  (Relisted. Price reduced). Location:  Melbourne. Pick-up only.
      Price:  $8000 (RRP $16999).
      Item Condition:  As brand new with original spikes, stands, and receipt (no packaging).
      Reason for selling:  Upgrading to larger size speakers.
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal.
      Extra Info: 
      I bought them brand new in June 2014 from the distributor in Melbourne with original boxes and packaging. I have compared these Kensington speakers side by side with many other speakers within a price range of 9K to 25K: Focal Utopia 20K+, PSB Synchrony, Acoustic Zen Adagio, as well as a few other famous 15K-20K models I can't recall. Surprisingly, Kensington trumped them ALL by a BIG margin.
      I used Kensington with the appraised Elson Silva's Southern Star 35W tube amp. Used rarely for music, mainly at low volumes for TV. Kept in stable temperature, in smoke and pet free room. You are welcome to bring your speakers and your amp to test them out and appraise the true magic of the Kensington.
      The Tannoy Kensington SE features a 10-inch Dual Concentric driver with an AlNiCo magnet system and the Tannoy PepperPost WaveGuide, mounted in a 1100 mm tall, 406 mm wide solidly braced cabinet constructed of lacquered mahogany veneer with solid walnut edging and trim detail. Front panel crossover controls allow the unit to be fine-tuned for musical preferences and listening environment. Tannoy Prestige speakers are designed and built like fine musical instruments, producing startlingly immediate, dynamic, and utterly captivating sound, rich in tone, as close to a live performance as anything in audio. No matter what your musical tastes, whether jazz, reggae, electronic, classical, hard rock, or whatever, the Tannoy Dual Concentric design is a magical antidote to clinical high-end loudspeaker alternatives. The Kensington works magnificently in spaces ranging in size from an average sitting room to substantial halls, and in all interior decors, from traditional to contemporary. It can be powered by low-powered valve amps, including single-ended triodes, or high-powered solid-state monoblocs, with both bi-wiring and bi-amping options.

Specifications:
      Recommended amplifier power: 50 to 225 W
      Frequency response: 29 Hz to 22 kHz, -6 dB
      Sensitivity: 93 dB, 2.83 V at 1 m
      Nominal impedance: 8 Ohms
      Dimensions: 1100 x 406 x 338 mm
      Weight: 37 kg each
      Finish: lacquered mahogany veneer with solid walnut edging and trim detail

Reviews:
      Acclaimed Australian Hi-Fi audio designer & repairer Patrick Turner, put this in his blog (in my opinion, a truly trustworthy reviewer): “The Kensington SE might be too much of a good thing. It’s Technicolor rich, contrastier and flat out more delicious sounding than any box or panel speaker I’ve heard in ages. If I’ve made you curious, here’s my advice: Listen to your favorite music first on other speakers, and then audition the Kensington SE. I’m betting you won’t want to go back...”
      "What astonished me at once was the sheer transparency of the Kensington rivaling the Quads in the precision of its soundstage and in the depth and effortless layering of the image. I've not before heard anything quite so coherent from a box loudspeaker.... The Kensington is one of a very small number of loudspeakers that I would say have truly graced my listening room in the quarter century that I have been writing about audio equipment. Set up carefully and driven with a top quality power amplifier and front end components, it is capable of coming within a whisker of emulating that 'open window on the event' which, for me at least, is what high fidelity is all about." (Ivor Humphreys)
      "The Kensington's biggest strength lies in the delicacy and transparency of the mid-band, and this has an enormous influence on voices in particular. On 'Indoor Fireworks', the plaintive, breathy quality of Elvis Costello's voice has never sounded more effective or expressive. Likewise, when I slipped Jim White's wonderfully bizarre Wrong Eyed Jesus CD in to the player, this speaker seemed particularly effective at peeling back veils and revealing both the essence and the lyric of this quite complex and densely layered mix." (Paul Messenger)

Pictures:

• By HifiBean
      Item: A pair of Tannoy HPD/385/8 Drivers
      Price: AUD 1600
      Item Condition: Used, vintage, well-kept in clean, no pet, non-smoking environment
      Reason for selling: Wife no longer accepts too many big speakers in small living area so kid has space to play around
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

- No original crossovers or any crossovers come with the drivers
      - I have built a pair of Arden boxes for these drivers years ago. The boxes are thick (25mm mdf) and very heavy so anyone in Canberra are welcomed to come and have a listen the drivers with these boxes.
      - If you want to have the boxes as well, may be 300$ more and you can take them home. 
      - For interstate buyers, the best is not taking the boxes because they are big and heavy