Getting out of hifi

Over the past couple of weeks I have seriously entertained the idea of selling off all my gear and leaving the Hi-Fi game for a while.

I have finally stopped searching for components to get my system to exactly how I want it but since the birth of my twin boys just see this hobby as something I will not have time for. I'm torn at the moment as it has taken me a long time and a lot of money to get to where I am but my priorities lie elsewhere.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who has been through this conundrum... What did others do?

I don't have a space that allows me to use the system at any volume when I do have time so I see the end as near.

Someone talk me out of this craziness! [emoji52]

• Like 1

Mate, I am struggling with finances due to my wife's health issues and raising a teenage boy and teenage twins. 

I am trying to sell stuff, but the market is not good.

My advice is to sell, if you have to

1. nothing

2. interconnects, speaker cables , cd's etc

Keep the main system, you will never recover.

My DR keeps telling me that I need to have a hobby/interest to keep me sane. So core hifi stays.

Edited by Jventer
  • Like 8

Guest Misterioso

Don't do it. You will have lots of fun watching your boys dancing to the music in front of your speakers. I never understood this "have a child, need to sell my hifi" argument. Why not just enjoy it together? Play "Peter and the Wolf" for them or Leonard Bernstein's Young People's Concerts. Also, your children most likely will go to bed earlier than you. A great time to relax to some music. That's what I am doing right now - just brought my young son to bed, now listening to Anthony Braxton.

Edited by Misterioso
typo

Guest Eggcup The Daft

Switch to headphones until the kids are a few years old and ready to start on music for themselves.

Though these days they'll probably get into games instead. Shame (unless you're into that as well)!

I used to store things for future but I ended up with piles of components that are not being used. For me, I get rid of things that I do not need now. I sometimes regret the decision letting some of them go but most of the time, happy with the decision made because there are better things come up later when I need things again. 

Congrats with new twins and whatever decision you make, hope everything goes well. :)  

Its not crazy mate, just sell it and enjoy life and be free of it until you're ready to re-engage in the hobby.  I'm out of it myself at the moment and will be putting most of my gear into storage, and have re-purposed some of it for home theatre duties, which I prefer these days.  I don't see myself returning to hifi anytime soon and if my kids show some interest they can have the lot.  Quality time with your family is more important than hifi.    

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, trippinonprozac said:

Over the past couple of weeks I have seriously entertained the idea of selling off all my gear and leaving the Hi-Fi game for a while.

I have finally stopped searching for components to get my system to exactly how I want it but since the birth of my twin boys just see this hobby as something I will not have time for. I'm torn at the moment as it has taken me a long time and a lot of money to get to where I am but my priorities lie elsewhere.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who has been through this conundrum... What did others do?

I don't have a space that allows me to use the system at any volume when I do have time so I see the end as near.

Someone talk me out of this craziness! emoji52.png

I agree and understand 100%.

At a few different times in my life, I have felt the same way and sold off all excess gear, leaving only a bare bones system.

During those periods I did not read any reviews or anything about audio, avoided hi fi stores and I completely disassociated myself from any involvement in audio as a pursuit.

I look back on those periods with great happiness because it just came down to playing music for its own sake and not wondering if more was possible. This actually made me appreciate music far more, rather than less and I would recommend this type of sabbatical to absolutely anyone.

Just being able to play a record and not even noticing the system, brought me far more joy than Dragon chasing and it reminded me of the times when I enjoyed music more than anything, which was back in the day when equipment was schit and it didn't matter worth a damn because it was about the music and the experience thereof and not the gear.

I hear many audio people saying it is just about the music, but more often than not, it is just as much ( or more ) about the gear. I hasten to add that this is not a put down to anybody and I myself have been guilty of the same hypocrisy myself on many occasions.

I think half the problem is encapsulated in what we call the journey which often has very little to do with music in and of itself and a lot to do with achieving higher standards or music replay in the hope that we will find that elusive  X factor that will take is to Nirvana.

I wouldn't dream of trying to talk you out of this Andy and I reckon it would be therapeutic and liberating. In time you may or may not come back, but if you do it will be with a lot of perspective.

I trust that the above has not offended anybody and this is merely my own experience but I would be surprised if I was alone

• Like 22
  • Love 2

If you don't need the money (or the space), just keep them in storage. One fine day you'll want to have some time to yourself and you'll just want to sit there and enjoy the music. When that day comes, you don't want to be scrambling to assemble a new system.

A wise man once said - "you can get out any time you like, but you can never leave."

• Like 2

1 minute ago, silencer13 said:

A wise man once said - "you can get out any time you like, but you can never leave."

"Plenty of room at the Hotel California"

• Like 3

If your audio interest is about the music, get rid of anything excess if you need the money but keep your best system and enjoy the music with the equipment, and let your kids learn an appreciation for what music should sound like. 

If your audio interest is more about the equipment and less about the music, get rid of anything excess if you need the money but keep your best system and enjoy the music with the equipment, and let your kids learn an appreciation for what music should sound like. 

Don't worry about having the space to turn it up or the time to seriously listen.  You will appreciate it the few times you can listen to it properly.  It should still sound ok at a lower volume, and again your kids should develop an appreciation for what music should sound like.  Some may consider it a form of child abuse for kids to grow up thinking that low-bitrate mp3 is perfect sound and anything else is a waste of money. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, Eggcup The Daft said:

Switch to headphones until the kids are a few years old and ready to start on music for themselves.

Though these days they'll probably get into games instead. Shame (unless you're into that as well)!

I think this is a good option for a few years - I only got into headphones when my first was born. You can still keep the front end, but store or sell the amps and speakers. A good head amp and 'phones will cost you peanuts compared to the big stuff.

8 minutes ago, rantan said:

"Plenty of room at the Hotel California"

And she said, 'we are all just prisoners here, of our own device'
And in the master's chambers,
They gathered for the feast
They stab it with their steely knives,
But they just can't kill the beast

so bloody true hey?

• Like 1

Guest Misterioso
Just now, emesbee said:

Reading this thread makes me feel like I've just walked into a meeting of AA (Audiophiles Anonymous). :ermm:

Exactly my thoughts. Very surprised.

16 minutes ago, emesbee said:

Reading this thread makes me feel like I've just walked into a meeting of AA (Audiophiles Anonymous). :ermm:

It is true though.

Also from what I read and decipher, you yourself are much more of a music person, than a gear accumulator and this is what I am getting at. Apols if this observation is incorrect

Edited by rantan
typo

sell off the hifi.  Do Not sell off the music.  Its the music that we cannot replace.

just make sure you have something to spin your cd's and/or vinyl while you get back on your feet. You don't need to spend a lot of $$ to enjoy music.

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 6

Just now, rantan said:

It is true though.

Also from what I read and decipher, you yourself are much more of a music person, that a gear accumulator and this is what I am getting at. Apols if this observation is incorrect

No apology required, your observation is quite correct. For me, the music is always the first priority, with the equipment providing the means to enjoy the music listening experience. That's not to say that I don't feel the need to upgrade the gear from time to time (am currently thinking of possibly upgrading my stereo amp), but its all about the music really.

• Like 2

Not having a stereo gave me more time to practice on my bass

drums went into storage as well

Edited by kab