In need of some opinions on 55" TVs

I have an urgent need to replace my defunct Panasonic Viera 50" Plasma which has died.

I want to replace it with a 55" LED LCD but not going as far as OLED at this point.

My current thoughts are:

Hisense 55P7

Samsung NU 8000

LG Super 55SK8000PTA

The Hisense gets good reviews, has a 3 year Warranty and seems good value but I don't know much about the brand

The Samsung seems to have all the "bells and whistles" but is perhaps a little over complex for someone who just wants a conventional TV with a good picture

The LG picture quality looks good but the price seems relatively high

I am leaning towards the Hisense

Any views / comments would be appreciated as I have to have a replacement TV ASAP 

I'm with you.  It's pointless paying mega bucks for the top of the line OLED screens. 8k is around the corner and the technology advance never stops! 

I'd stay away from OLEDs ATM because it's not reliable technology.    

If you go for the Hisense I'd check what's involve with the 3 yr warranty.  Some brands will swop new for old.   Between the 3 and not seeing them I'd go for the Samsung.

My daughter and her partner have had a Hisense for 18months now, they don't watch any TV on it but do watch Netflix and have their phones cast to it as well(They can have everything on their phones up on the TV if your not sure what cast is. It lets them control the Tv and the apps on their phones). They got the thing for cheap and from the few times i've seen it it seems great, they've had no problems...it does the business.

I've got a Sony smart TV and I use about 5% of the features on it. My other TV is Panasonic plasma and it's still going strong after at least 10 yrs of wear and tear. A new TV is in the offing and the Hisense is in the ball park at this stage.

• Like 1

I'm still pretty gobsmacked at the Panasonic 65" OLED I saw at MCB's place.   Its still the most impressive TV I've seen and I'm looking at TVs quite frequently at the moment.  Although, the 2018 Samsung 65" QLED TV currently at $3820 is pretty impressive:  https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/samsung-65-inches165cm-qled-uhd-smart-tv-qa65q7fnawxxy   

55 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

I  have a 55" LG OLED and it's amazing. Reliable so far (18 months) and the calibrated picture is to die for. Worth every cent

who did your calibration prof ?  good to hear its come up a treat :)

13 hours ago, Luc said:

My daughter and her partner have had a Hisense for 18months now, they don't watch any TV on it but do watch Netflix and have their phones cast to it as well(They can have everything on their phones up on the TV if your not sure what cast is. It lets them control the Tv and the apps on their phones). They got the thing for cheap and from the few times i've seen it it seems great, they've had no problems...it does the business.

I've got a Sony smart TV and I use about 5% of the features on it. My other TV is Panasonic plasma and it's still going strong after at least 10 yrs of wear and tear. A new TV is in the offing and the Hisense is in the ball park at this stage.

That’s the thing...  I have the boss logging onto the internet watching asian soapies.  The daughter is on the internet doing what ever she does and she has our 52” Original Samsung 6 series LCD in her room for games design on a big screen..  My son has a 55” LED that he paid mega bucks for when it was 1st release and we have a cheap 55” for the 5.1 theatre.    We are a 4 members  family  and nearly all the time we are on an iPad or a MacBook Pro at least 90% of the time.  Imaging when the nbn rolls around, these big panels will be an archeological inconvienence wasting space.

1 hour ago, Addicted to music said:

We are a 4 members  family  and nearly all the time we are on an iPad or a MacBook Pro at least 90% of the time.  Imaging when the nbn rolls around, these big panels will be an archeological inconvienence wasting space.

I would not suggest your usage is typical. We use smart functions of TV's or an Apple TV to watch Foxtel, Netflix, You Tube, etc etc. If my kids knew how to cast/mirror/stream whatever you care to call it they would, we would never use a iPad or laptop when TV's or projectors are available.

I can't wait for nbn so we can do more than 1 usage simultaneously. I currently can't stream Tidal while someone else is surfing the net...

10 minutes ago, blybo said:

I would not suggest your usage is typical. We use smart functions of TV's or an Apple TV to watch Foxtel, Netflix, You Tube, etc etc. If my kids knew how to cast/mirror/stream whatever you care to call it they would, we would never use a iPad or laptop when TV's or projectors are available.

I can't wait for nbn so we can do more than 1 usage simultaneously. I currently can't stream Tidal while someone else is surfing the net...

What you need to do is check if your close to a 4G LTE tower.   If you’re close you do not need to wait for the nbn as I demonstrated to one of my clients...  As the final stages of nbn gets implemented, the plans on 4G are even more attractive.  Optus sim only are getting affordable and by the time nbn comes around I’ll even bet you’ll have a hard time decided wired and wireless...    where I am, it’s still a struggle getting the speeds I want for 4G because the tower is a bit of a distance so we reliably get ADSL2 +    Here’s the speed of Optus on 4G LTE where the tower is ins sight within a few hundred metres,   The client in this position moved into a new estate in Altona Nth, 16 km outside CBD cannot get ADSL and will have to wait for nbn.

02E8FAF0-8888-4DD9-8B86-51A2D1B43C46.png

• Like 2

@Addicted to music I struggle to receive calls in my home, we are in a known Optus black spot, despite being less than 400m from a commercial shopping precinct and railway station.

At my office 4g can be up to 100 times faster than wired ADSL2+, as I found out when nbn severed the fibre 3 weeks ago without telling anyone. We were forced to use our mobiles as hotspots. No phones or internet for 7 days in a commercial estate...?

17 hours ago, Peter_F said:

I'm still pretty gobsmacked at the Panasonic 65" OLED I saw at MCB's place.   Its still the most impressive TV I've seen and I'm looking at TVs quite frequently at the moment.  Although, the 2018 Samsung 65" QLED TV currently at $3820 is pretty impressive:  https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/samsung-65-inches165cm-qled-uhd-smart-tv-qa65q7fnawxxy   

17 hours ago, proftournesol said:

I  have a 55" LG OLED and it's amazing. Reliable so far (18 months) and the calibrated picture is to die for. Worth every cent

I am with you guys. Well set up OLED is amazeballs! Biggest jump in picture quality since the good old Kuro.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, coylum said:

I have an urgent need to replace my defunct Panasonic Viera 50" Plasma which has died.

I want to replace it with a 55" LED LCD but not going as far as OLED at this point.

My current thoughts are:

Hisense 55P7

Samsung NU 8000

LG Super 55SK8000PTA

The Hisense gets good reviews, has a 3 year Warranty and seems good value but I don't know much about the brand

The Samsung seems to have all the "bells and whistles" but is perhaps a little over complex for someone who just wants a conventional TV with a good picture

The LG picture quality looks good but the price seems relatively high

I am leaning towards the Hisense

Any views / comments would be appreciated as I have to have a replacement TV ASAP 

If you are watching mainly FTA terrestrial television, I would suggest have a look at the Samsung NU 8000.  Its an edge lit LCD TV with a VA panel (as is the Hisense) but the Sammy should do a slightly  better job processing poor quality (compressed) standard definition FTA. If you do take up a streaming video service such as Netflix or Stan at a later stage, you will be surprised at the vibrancy and detail of 4K material with both the Samsung and Hisense.   

I experimented with an LG LCD TV some years ago and was bitterly disappointed with the poor contrast performance particularly in dark scenes, due the IPS panel used by LG.  

10 minutes ago, pc9 said:

If you are watching mainly FTA terrestrial television, I would suggest have a look at the Samsung NU 8000.  Its an edge lit LCD TV with a VA panel (as is the Hisense) but the Sammy should do a slightly  better job processing poor quality (compressed) standard definition FTA. If you do take up a streaming video service such as Netflix or Stan at a later stage, you will be surprised at the vibrancy and detail of 4K material with both the Samsung and Hisense.   

I experimented with an LG LCD TV some years ago and was bitterly disappointed with the poor contrast performance particularly in dark scenes, due the IPS panel used by LG.  

Hello,

Good to get back on topic...

I watch mainly FTA HD for news and sport and Netflix for entertainment.

I have just purchase the Samsung NU8000 55" with an additional 1 year Warranty for $1783 so hopefully I will be satisfied.

I will upgrade my Netflix account to get the higher definition as I have a very fast NBN connection with unlimited download

Thanks for all the input - much appreciated

Malcolm

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, coylum said:

Hello,

Good to get back on topic...

I watch mainly FTA HD for news and sport and Netflix for entertainment.

I have just purchase the Samsung NU8000 55" with an additional 1 year Warranty for $1783 so hopefully I will be satisfied.

I will upgrade my Netflix account to get the higher definition as I have a very fast NBN connection with unlimited download

Thanks for all the input - much appreciated

Malcolm

Good to see you with the Sammy....   Nice choice.

1 hour ago, Jaffa the Great said:

You wouldn't be disappointed, I have a 55N6UHD and I can't fault it especially if your watching 4K content. I'm no expert  on flat screens but the optics don't lie. Go for the Hisense!

To late i'm afraid.... I went with the samsung. In a side by side comparison, Samsung NU8000 and Hisense P7 with FTA HD I though the Samsung definitely had the edge over the Hisense. A very close call - it could have gome either way...

The other option which I have used recently is to pick up a second hand plasma tv from Gumtree. There are some great bargain to be had while you wait to see how the market developes. I got a Pana 50"  with mpeg 2 and 4 HD tuners built in for $130. My Pioneer kURO 50" has a better picture and they come up on Gumtree for around $200

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tfranic said:

Samsung is the current leader in this field. I have a samsung series 8 now after terrible experiences with sony, hisense and lg, and have never looked back.

Just talking to a customer today in his new house who has had a wonderful  purchase/setup and enjoyment from his big Hisense.

So I think it's all relative and indeed subjective when it comes to choice. So many factors involved and the top one being how you perception and enjoyment of your TV impacts you. We're all different and have different levels of expertise and ..needs.

@ozcall  Nice pickups Gordon.

On 30/06/2018 at 4:19 PM, tfranic said:

Samsung is the current leader in this field.

Not in there class of panels, Hisense blitzed the Samsung 8000 series one review gave the P7, 5 out of 5, (PC World) other reviews just as favourable. And the Hisense is cheaper again! This is my second Hisense and I reckon there definitely the best in there class for bang for buck!