Help setting up Onkyo TXnr616

Hi 

Just after some help setting up the speaker crossover frequencies on my onkyo. I dont understand what I should set the values to. I have a klipsch speaker system 

My 2 front large speakers are 35hz -23khz 

Centre speake 82hz -23khz

Surround Sound rear speakers 82hz-23khz 

Subwoofer 28hz-120khz 

I have checked out the manual from my av receiver which the link is below and read up page 54 but dont know what to set everything to at the moment I think everything is set at 80 HZ 

http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/manuals/pdf/tx-nr616_manual_e.pdf

Edited by bfhoon1
corrections

The recommended setting for THX is 80 hz crossover.  It's a good place to start.  Try that and then maybe drop the fronts a little but leave the others at 80 hz.   The sub setting will look after itself if you choose small 80 hz for the other speakers.  Leave the sub crossover on your sub full range or if you don't have a switch just turn the crossover frequency as high as it goes.

14 minutes ago, gat474 said:

The recommended setting for THX is 80 hz crossover.  It's a good place to start.  Try that and then maybe drop the fronts a little but leave the others at 80 hz.   The sub setting will look after itself if you choose small 80 hz for the other speakers.  Leave the sub crossover on your sub full range or if you don't have a switch just turn the crossover frequency as high as it goes.

I have the sub set to max which I think bypasses the amp... I just dropped the fronts to 40hz. Would this be ideal. First thing I noticed is the sound out of the fronts is now very high pitched trebel and loss of bass is this correct. 

no no.. do as  suggested except set the xover on your avr to 90 or 100hz for all your speakers

what sub is it?

what auto set? audyssey xt?

sorry seems you have audyssey 2EQ which is the lower of audyssey auto set ups. hmm

Edited by hopefullguy

1 minute ago, hopefullguy said:

no no.. do as  suggested except set the xover on your avr to 90 or 100hz for all your speakers

what sub is it?

Ok Will do so what is better 90 or 100hz? My sub is the standard klipsch one which rebounds into the floor has its own inbuilt amp. Its a klipsch SW450 10 inch downward facing driver. I feel like my large floorsounding speakers produce to much treble and not enough bass. Id rather my surrounds and centre speaker provide more of the treble. 

hmm i set my klipsch fairly basic.. so try this.

note your front speakers are not "large" for the auto set up purposes.

sub.. volume= 50%

low pass= set to highest number

phase= 0

auto= on

when you do the auto set up it will most likely set your fronts to "large".. set them and all your speakers to small

then it will calculate distance. dont change these.

then it will set the "db" levels for the speakers. it is best imo to increase the centre by 3 dbs.. so if the fronts are at say -5db move the centre to -2db (3 higher than the 2 fronts) you may also need to move the surrounds up a little to your own taste.

set the xover for "all" to 90hz

the sub you will most likely need to increase the dbs as your audyssey seems not to be able to do subs well.

dont forget your sub is downfiring.. carpet is your enemy.

Edited by hopefullguy

5 minutes ago, hopefullguy said:

hmm i set my klipsch fairly basic.. so try this.

note your front speakers are not "large" for the auto set up purposes.

sub.. volume= 50%

low pass= set to highest number

phase= 0

auto= on

when you do the auto set up it will most likely set your fronts to "large".. set them and all your speakers to small

then it will calculate distance. dont change these.

then it will set the "db" levels for the speakers. it is best imo to increase the centre by 3 dbs.. so if the fronts are at say -5db move the centre to -2db (3 higher than the 2 fronts) you may also need to move the surrounds up a little to your own taste.

set the xover for "all" to 90hz

the sub you will most likely need to increase the dbs as your audyssey seems not to be able to do subs well.

dont forget your sub is downfiring.. carpet is your enemy.

I dont have the audessey mic so im setting it up blind at the moment in the future I may purchase one. I have set my distances up manually. Ill ry 90hz now on all. 

audyssey from my understanding tries to adjust for room environment.. yes get a tape measure and measure distances but what audyssey is measuring is not really distance it is "time" it takes the test tone to reach the mic and then giving it a distance value.. anyway when you measure the sub to your main seating position add about 1 meter to the actual distance

if doing "blind" you may need to use a sound meter.. hand held or an ap on the phone. otherwise use your ears.

oh and if turned "on" turn dynamic volume off.. but if you havnt actually used audysset i dont think it will be on

Edited by hopefullguy