JB HiFi hikes up MARVEL Bluray titles by 20%

1 minute ago, rantan said:

Damn straight.

The thing is though, people would much prefer a conspiracy theory to reality and won't let the truth impede a good story.

Simple supply and demand = economics 101.

Ok, if that being the case, a $45 ticket price for Rogue One blu-ray could only means supply has dried up; because it is hard to see a large demand for a film that has been on the market for two years. People who did not purchase the movie at the initial launch price of $30 ain't going to pay $45 two years later. In fact I would be surprised if those discs move off the shelf at that ticket price. 

• Like 1

Ok, if that being the case, a $45 ticket price for Rogue One blu-ray could only means supply has dried up; because it is hard to see a large demand for a film that has been on the market for two years. People who did not purchase the movie at the initial launch price of $30 ain't going to pay $45 two years later. In fact I would be surprised if those discs move off the shelf at that ticket price. 

I’m surprised it moved at all. [emoji16]
  • Haha 1

I went to JB's on Saturday to grab a few titles at 20% off. They had Guardians of the Galaxy II at a ticket price of $29.99 (4K), and I thought what the heck at 20% off. Shoulda checked the receipt before I walked out the store. $49.99 less 20% off. #$%%^&*s.

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 8:13 PM, LHC said:

Its a ridiculous price anomaly isn't it ; just picked up Sicario [ dolby atmos]and Expendables 2 for $8 each + ph in the 2 for $20 currently running . Don't mind waiting ages until they hit the 3 for $40 bin ;even 4k titles come down :whistle:

I went to JB on Sat and my jaw dropped when I saw the price of the 4K of Starwars-TLJ....$58.95. As if anyone would pay that, personally I wouldn't pay $10.

Edited by SimonNo10

• 4 weeks later...
Guest thathifiguy
3 hours ago, Raffinator said:

I wonder if this is the outcome of geoblocking Amazon.com and GST.

If so it is very cheeky.

Speaking of, I wonder if there are grounds to open an ACCC case against this new law?

My understanding was the ACCC were all for Grey imports as it promoted competition locally, no greys = less competition.

Could be worth looking in to.

Perhaps JB get away with it for ACCC because they have the following disclaimer on their web site in the footer...???

^Discounts apply to most recent previous ticketed/advertised price. As we negotiate on price, products are likely to have sold below ticketed/advertised price in stores prior to the discount offer. Prices may differ at Sydney Airport store.

I guess their "most recent advertised price" is todays price???

• 3 months later...

This seems unbelievable. Only a few months ago I was complaining that Rogue One blu-ray costs $45 at JB. Well well, the price has halved when I looked today. With the current 20% discount it is only $18.38. How is this possible or explained by a supply-demand model? Don't forget the $A have weaken so imports should be more expensive, not cheaper. 

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/sci-fi/rogue-one-a-star-wars-story/350402/

I put it down to print runs basically, and you might find that the Rouge One bluray is not the same as the initial release, it will probably just be single disc with the movie, no second disc with extras.

I noticed the same thing with Guardians of the Galaxy 2 3D version selling for $18, it's a different release with just a single 3D disc, not the 3D disc + Bluray and download versions that is the norm with first release 3D Blurays.

If they made a big print run of a particular title on release, and have since found themselves stuck with a large amount of stock of that particular title, it will get discounted.

Some titles just stiff at the counter, and their price drops really quickly just to get rid of the stock

Something like Rouge One would of had a large initial print run, that would of covered pre-orders, people who buy new titles as a matter habit, and Star Wars fans that would want to buy it up to 3-4 months after it was released, after that JB would look at what new releases were up coming to take it's place as the next big seller, and do a 20% off discount prior to that next BIG release hitting the shelves, eventually that titles normal price will drop a bit to get rid of that first print run, but not by much, as it should still be a popular title.....Then when they restock, the price will go up again, as the 2nd print run will be smaller, just so each store has a few in stock, if they find that it isn't moving much any more, as in most people who wanted the title have already got it, then it will get a big price drop and probably stay there.

That applies to most movies, with the exception of Warner Bros and Disney titles, whose new releases are always more expensive by about $8-$10, if only because they think they can get away with it, ironically it's the movies made Warner Bros that are usually the over hyped stiffs [ Superman V's Batman being one that comes to mind ]

This is what has happened in this last week with a 20% off sale prior to the Incredible's 2 being released, which will be the next big seller.

You always know when a big title is going to be released as the 20% sales always happen a week or less beforehand

2 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

I put it down to print runs basically, and you might find that the Rouge One bluray is not the same as the initial release, it will probably just be single disc with the movie, no second disc with extras.

If you follow the link in my post you will see that it has two discs. Makes one wonder ?

22 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

This is what has happened in this last week with a 20% off sale prior to the Incredible's 2 being released, which will be the next big seller.

Yes, I notice that too. ? It would make an easy Christmas gift.