Sign in to follow this  
Tweaky

JB HiFi hikes up MARVEL Bluray titles by 20%

I keep a list of wanted Blurays and their asking price when they are released at JB HiFi.

Then when JB have the occasional  20% off sales I go in and by most if not all on the list, which usually consists of quite a few 3D Blurays, as it usually means about $8-9 off per disc.

Well JB sent me a 20% off sale email today and I have just been looking at the so called saving I would be getting, and either there has been some major stuff up with the pricing, or JB is severely price gouging on selected MARVEL titles. a few examples below of the price a few weeks ago against the current listed price.

Thor Ranganok 3D...was $39.98 now listed at $49.98....$39.98 with current sale.

Black Panther 3D...was $39.98 now listed at $44.98......$35.98 with current sale.

This is only happening with MARVEL titles, I suspect it's the same with ones I already own, but since I don't have a record of before/after prices on those I can't be sure.

Just thought I'd give people the heads up......I think I'll give those two titles above a miss with this current 20% off Sale, that's unless it been one big stuff up.

I've never seen this sort of thing from JB before.

Second oldest trick in the book!

They have been doing it for ages. The whirlpool guys have been reporting on it for yonks. Pretty sure it’s illegal and other places have been done for it before. I really wish Amazon AU would get it together and provide some decent competition.

Marvel titles gave always been at a premium and they take a lot longer to drop to reasonable prices compared with others.  I never pay full price and wait till they fall below $20.

I suspect both JB and Marvel distributor are complicit here in jacking up the so called RRP. Why?  There is clearly enough demand for Marvel popular movies.

fair trading allows retailers to do what ever with price. their prerogative. in discounting if they show a full price its being marked down from. the item must have been sold at the listed full price at some stage. otherwise they will run foul of fair trading laws.

I am sure they would have that covered. ie probably history of listing it at higher  price. if they dont take them to fair trading...

ps with amazon usa out of equation shortly expect local retailers to take advantage....

Marvel titles gave always been at a premium and they take a lot longer to drop to reasonable prices compared with others.  I never pay full price and wait till they fall below $20.

I tend to buy at release as it’s usually the cheapest for a while. Plus I don’t get to the cinema anymore so can’t wait much longer!

I found another none MARVEL title that has had it's price hiked up.

Darkest Hour -Gary Oldman...was listed at $26.98 now listed at $38.98 with sale discount still more expensive than previously at $27.98 .

EDIT:...... well I’ve just dropped into JB at the Sydney CBD Strand Arcade store and they at least have not as yet hiked the prices of those discs mentioned above, so Black Panther and Thor Rananok we’re both still ticketed price at $39.98..... which at sale price ended up $32......I don’t know if this is the same for all stores, or if this price hike has been put in place to snag those who purchase online?

Edited by Tweaky

7 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

I found another none MARVEL title that has had it's price hiked up.

Darkest Hour -Gary Oldman...was listed at $26.98 now listed at $38.98 with sale discount still more expensive than previously at $27.98

That is normal JB practice for many recent and even non-recent titles.  They shift the price all over the place.  Wait 6 months (for non-Marvel titles) and you will get it at reasonable prices.  Wait a year and they become bargains.

3 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

Second oldest trick in the book!

The first one is to put something on sale but keep the price the same. 

Surely actions such as these are in breach of the ACCC?

I know that to advertise a product as being __% off, it needs to be proven that said product has been sold for the "was " price sometime recently.

3 minutes ago, thathifiguy said:

I know that to advertise a product as being __% off, it needs to be proven that said product has been sold for the "was " price sometime recently.

But the %off is based on the price set then.  We do not know what is the suggested retail price, which is what ACCC would be looking at.

2 minutes ago, thathifiguy said:

if you can prove to be the case. report them :)

ideally a couple of screen shots would do. one showing the price before special the one on special. they will then have to prove to accc they have infact had the normal price at what they claim it to be :) this needs to happen with a proof of sale from my understanding to show they have infact sold it for the price they claim it normally is.

5 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

But the %off is based on the price set then.  We do not know what is the suggested retail price, which is what ACCC would be looking at.

no...no I'm pretty sure accc will check if they have actually ever SOLD it at the claimed "normal" price.

https://www.accc.gov.au/business/pricing-surcharging/displaying-prices

7 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Which is why JB is putting their prices up to the "normal" (stupid!) number.

it cant be retrospect though...

if you list it as marked down from a "stupid normal" price they actually have to prove they had actually sold it at that "stupid normal price" so in effect you cant sort of just make up "stupid normal prices" :D 

Good thread, I noticed this just the other day, keep spreading the word!