Roon with Bluesound Node 2 -anyone using?

With the most recent Bluos update,  I again looked at, and this time signed up for the 14 day Roon trial.

All my stored music is on a portable hard drive plugged into the Node 2 and I use only a mini iPad to select and control the music through the Bluesound app.

My question is, can I just use the iPad to run Roon or do I need to install the Roon server on my PC. If the PC is required, does it have to be on when using the Roon app on the iPad?

Grateful for any assistance ?

You need to have Roon "core" loaded somewhere, like your PC. That will hold the stored music, and then allow the Node to be the "output". iPad wil then be the remote. Yes, it has to be running while you use the iPad and Bluesound. 

Of course, this is said with the caveat that I generally only think I know what I'm talking about. 

• Like 1

Guest thathifiguy

Hi Wolster, 

You will need something to run as the Roon Core, so unless you have something else doing that, then yes your computer will need to be on as it will be the brain of your Roon system. The Node 2 won't work as a Roon Core.

That's right. 

The Roon product is great, but only if everything aligns. I have core on my laptop, but don't always have that nearby, so have to remember to turn it on before listening. Not always ideal when you're standing in the kitchen trying to get some music started...

There are some solutions involving tiny PCs just for this task, but I've never become that obsessed. 

Guest thathifiguy

I was using Roon, but ultimately I didn't see enough value in it to merit the expense and the mucking around. From a sound quality perspective, I always found Audirvana sounded better for PC Audio. 

Now that I no longer use my laptop as a source, I've been quite happy plodding along using the BluOS app.

I've been in heavy communication with the Bluos support team since purchasing a Powernode2 and as my PC runs 24/7(except for blackouts ) the problem of running Roon or anything else is negated.

The problem for me has been the Bluos app&software, it's buggy and while it claims to be widely immersive and controlled , I've found the exact opposite. David and Wal, you both know where I'm coming from here as I've previously commented on this here and via PM.

As a streamer I think it's no better than an SBT to be honest and the fact that it can't easily accept a network share without constant communication with the support team, damns it in my eyes.

The whole idea of a streamer like the Node range(I would of thought) is to do away with things like ext hdd's plugged in via usb. This is something a WDLive was doing nearly 10 years ago and a wireless dongle into a WD would give you all your PC or laptop on your TV screen or through your system

I'm not a huge fan as you can guess but...I've really really persevered with the Bluos app and the PNode2.

Hopefully you'll get it sorted Wal.

@Luc

Your frustrations with Bluesound are well documented here.

For what it is worth, In my last place, I had my Node 2 linked to an external drive over wifi with absolutely no problem. When I set it up it found my music quickly and never faltered from there. It was so much better than my years of exerience with three models of Squeezeboxen. Better sound and more stable.

I have found the Bluesound app easy and flexible. Click on ‘Choose your music’ and I can immediately select Tidal or my music or Radio Paradise or TuneIn Radio etc. I can add favourite tracks and albums easily. 

I feel disappointed that you can’t experience the same joy but this thread is about Roon and hopefully I can get it sorted to at least give it a try.

I think it will work @wolster. I’m switching from a Node 2 to an SMS-200.

Bluesounds app is outstanding in comparison to anything I can use with SMS, except Roon. So I trialled (and forgot to pull out of) Roon. It’s quite inconvenient having the core on my laptop, but I have grown to like using it. Initially, I disliked not being able to search by folder.

I was looking at a NAS to Roon, but cost is too high for the specs required. The laptop/computer options also have to be above a certain spec too.

• Like 2

Running roon to blue sound node via ethernet and then to high quality external dac

One thing I have noticed is that using the bluesound operating system sounds appreciably better than roon in particular with masters recordings. The roon versions sound flat and less dynamic 

Has anybody else observed this 

I presume it may be due to the 'noise ' introduced in the computer and more processing than just going directly to the node

• Like 1

The Bluesound system is very good however it can be difficult to maintain a connection.
Every day after turning on my PC I find I have to restart the Node 2 to refresh / reboot so I can connect to the library of music files.
I had to adjust my firewall settings etc . As I couldn't access at all originally - possibly still lingering after effects with PC defaulting.
I could just plug in a HD but it's a matter of keeping it updated with latest music additions which is a pain, so have persevered with streaming. Plugged into a Chord Qutest the sound quality is fantastic ,and the cost plus doubts of improvement with
Roon means I won't be bothering with it!

But like@Wolster said, I love the versatility of the Bluesound system - many different choices on menu to access your music.

• Like 2