Advice on PC with output via HDMI (no DAC)

Hello,

I am interested in building an audio PC to connect to the following equipment:

• Powered bookshelf speakers: Acoustic Energy AE1 Active
  • Subwoofers: B&W DB4S
  • Preamp & DAC: Essence HDACC II-4K
  • Subwoofer Equalizer: SVS AS-EQ1
  • Music: Locally stored in various lossless formats. I have no intention of using streaming services like Tidal.

Many of the topics I am reading seem to focus on output over Toslink, USB to an external DAC or local decoding with analog output, no mention of output over HDMI. The Essence HDACC II-4K has the best sound (according to the manufacturer) over the HDMI input.

I am leaning towards Audirvana as the player as I like the fact that it has a iOS app for remote control and it gets excellent reviews for audio quality. I see that a Windows version of the player is going to be released before the end of this month so I will test it on my Windows laptop and MacBook Air.

I am also comfortable building a HDPLEX machine running Linux or a Nano (headless) Windows Server 2016. But I feel like the law of diminishing returns comes into play here given that I am outputting over HDMI. I like the aesthetics of the Mac Mini but I have read mixed reviews of its audio quality. However none of these mention outputting over HDMI.

I would appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks

Dan

Issue with HDMI in PC is to make sure that no decoding happens in PC which from what I know it's hard to fully switch off. since it will be handled in the graphics card Audio driver. You might need to test the manufacturer claim on whether HDMI is the best while using PC compared to USB.

Edited by mloutfie

Thanks, I installed Audirvana Windows Beta last night. Am I correct in assuming that will bypass the drivers removing the need for ASIO?

I have connected the preamp to both the HDMI and USB inputs for testing. Audirvana hasn’t picked up that the USB input can decode DSD but that might be a beta bug. Need to get some 192/24 files to test with.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have an original HDACC, not the 4k version.  I think that Bob's claim regarding superior audio quality over HDMI centres around the ability to intercept HRA from it.  That is, if the source happens to have better than 44kHz audio, the HDACC can read all that input.  I can confirm that when playing BD discs over HDMI pass through, the HDACC does indeed report input exceeding 44kHz.  IMO, the sound of these few discs is excellent.

The original HDACC does not support 5.1, it only intercepts FR & FL channels from 5.1 sources.  It is important to select PCM stereo from the disc menu.  I don't know about the 4k version.

The original HDACC only has one HDMI input whereas the 4k version has 4 of them.  The original has both an analogue RCA in and out which I use to connect the DAC within the tape dubbing loop of a Yamaha A700 amp.  The reason for this is to provide remote volume control for both analogue as well as digital sources.  This is required for the family to use the HiFi at all.  I think the 4k version does not have this facility.   Directly testing the 44kHz audio quality of the HDACC against an older AMC CD8A, I have to say it's very close.  This 90s CD player is IMO very exceptional though.  I can only pick a difference by doing AB tests while the track plays and I would give the not to the CD player over the HDACC but it is hard to pick.  The HDACC comes with a switchmode plugpack PSU, that does not have an earth pin so no grounding out anomalies via filter caps.  This manufacturer choice leaves me rather bewildered.  I did query this with Bob and he assures me it would be a big mistake to use a different PSU with it.  Sorry but I just don't know what to make of that...... I know of no instance where improved PSU technology does not result in improved audio performance.

All in all though I can not identify any problems with the sound.  Sometimes the HDACC seems to go into sleep mode and nothing but a reboot will wake it up again.  Seems par for the course for digital components to have communication issues.

Ken