DAC Recommendation Needed

I have a small iFI iDSD DAC and its pretty great, much better than the Mac Mini onboard. Someone has generously loaned me a Cambridge Stream Magic 6 V2, now I need an upgrade!

I have Mac Mini>DAC>Valve Amp. No balanced cabling.

I was thinking or trying the Topping D50, based purely on online comments (not the best approach, i know). I notice it has no remote. Can it be set and forgotten? 

Whats the best of the $500 DACs, ideally one some one has compared to the cambridge or used with a valve amp. I really prefer it wasnt black. But would if i had to.

For the $500 mark, the Pro-Ject S2 DAC is really good.

https://darko.audio/2018/03/pro-jects-densely-packed-s2-digital/

http://www.box-designs.com/main.php?prod=preboxs2digital&cat=default&lang=en

I bought one to play with MQA and DSD512 up-sampling.

But even just playing CD quality files to the DAC, it sounds great.

Edited by Music2496
Typo
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Music2496 said:

For the $500 mark, the Pro-Ject S2 DAC is really good.

I second this...  I have one hooked up to my Mac Pro it's a great little bit of kit for a very reasonable price.

Even comes in silver if you really don't want black. ?

• Like 1

Heard rave review of the Cyrus DAC. Also if you can spend more check Simaudio products. 

I have an Electrocompanient DAC, and very happy with its sweet sounding analog feel. 

On 25/06/2018 at 7:49 PM, JPete9 said:

You guys running these in front of you hifi? eg a power/intergrated amp? anyone with valves?

My Electrocompanient DAC is wired into my Canary audio tube integrated amp. The analog feel of my DAC marvelously compliments the valve amp.

• Like 1

I've auditioned the DXS7 which is the bigger brother from Topping with the same internals of the D50 and balanced outputs and heaphone out and can say that for its price it is exceptionally good. You need to spend about 5x as much before you get better sounding DACs in my experience, and the improvement is still only subtle. However the current model does not come with a remote control (it's planned) https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07B4V1J7K and costs a bit more than your $500 budget at $624. The D50 costs quite a bit less and at least on paper should perform the same as the DXS7 according to its specs and objective measurements but it does not have balanced outputs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So far the best inexpensive DAC I've tried is a Weilang Audio AKM 4497EQ DAC off ebay. That said on 240v mains there is transformer hum unless voltage is dropped to 220v.

This thing sounds so good I'll be sourcing a proper 240v transformer and possibly change the OPAMPS for output transformers. Plenty of space in the case for mods.

In its current form it falls a little short of my Gieseler Gross DAC. Quite similar though missing a little of its magic and transparency though to my ears surprisingly close.

That said it won't be replacing my Gross DAC in my main system any time soon. Clays unit just oozes quality of workmanship and the remote control isn't a small advantage. The balanced outputs may prove useful some time too.

I don't think I'll ever need another DAC. Vinyl rips done on my system sound identical to the actual playback.  I can't give higher praise than that. 

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really pleased with my new Chord Mojo; $740 so slightly out of range but of course can be used as headphone amp/DAC as well.  Only used for a few hours so probably not completely run in either.  Just out of interest I compared it to the DAC on my Naim 272.  Honestly not that far off.

All of these comments just further cements in my mind that modern dacs are not the weak point in our systems, and cost is not a determining factor either especially  up to about the $2K mark. Yes it does get better after that , but even then it’s not chalk and cheese as all good sounding dacs (regardless of cost) are more similar than not.

• Like 5

I'm going purely on opinions now.But getting keen to try something.

i only have the ifi idsd and cambridge dac magic v2 to compare to.

Topping D50 $340

Pro-ject S2 for $490

Doesnt seem like a big difference, but i dont want to spend the extra 150 for .0001% of difference...or is it really likely to be much better than the topping? what do you get for the +50% cost?

Edited by JPete9

17 minutes ago, JPete9 said:

Topping D50 $340

Pro-ject S2 for $490

Doesnt seem like a big difference, but i dont want to spend the extra 150 for .0001% of difference...or is it really likely to be much better than the topping? what do you get for the +50% cost?

All of us can suggest options and provide our opinions,  but at the end of the day, your ears will be the final arbiter on your system.   If you can hear the difference with your equipment, then it is money well spent.

• Like 1

OBVIOUSLY! :)  Thats why i asked for OTHER PEOPLE's opinions :) 

I get it, i'm just going to order one, but curious what was known, or what other people's opinion are about the difference between them. Try not to make many decisions like this, but no other way other than buying and selling lots of bits.

Edited by JPete9

5 hours ago, JPete9 said:

Topping D50 $340

Pro-ject S2 for $490

On paper even, does the Pro-ject actually outperform the D50?

1 hour ago, Ittaku said:

On paper even, does the Pro-ject actually outperform the D50?

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-topping-d50-dac.2403/

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-pro-ject-pre-box-s2-digital.2370/

4 minutes ago, RichMurphy said:

Right, so the DX7 outperforms it slightly (in numbers) on some tests and the DX7s outperforms the DX7 and the D50 slightly outperforms the DX7s... meaning the D50, at least in numbers on paper, is the better performer.

Edited by Ittaku

Just now, Ittaku said:

Right, so the DX7 outperforms it slightly (in numbers) and the DX7s outperforms the DX7 and the D50 outperforms the DX7s... meaning the D50, at least in numbers on paper, is the better performer.

That's the objective view for those particular measurements.  I bought a D50 and I'm happy with it.  Your ears may be better than mine.  ?

1 minute ago, RichMurphy said:

That's the objective view for those particular measurements.  I bought a D50 and I'm happy with it.  Your ears may be better than mine.  ?

I did agreed with you, even though I've not heard the D50 myself, only the DX7s.

53 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Right, so the DX7 outperforms it slightly (in numbers) on some tests and the DX7s outperforms the DX7 and the D50 slightly outperforms the DX7s... meaning the D50, at least in numbers on paper, is the better performer.

No matter how many times I read that, I still cant figure it out!

Guess I should click on the links for perspective.