Warning - Keep Shrink Wrap On At Own Risk

Flipping through a few records today I noticed an unusually large gap in one of the racks. Turns out the shrink wrap on one  had recently gone bad and as a consequence had severely bowed the outer sleeve. Thankfully as I store my records outside the jacket it was not warped but who knows what would have happened if I had stored it inside (another reason why I do this) so beware as I know it is the fashionable thing to keep the shrink wrap intact especially these days as they usually also have a hype sticker or two on it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Shrink wrap sucks and instead new records should be packed in loose baggies.

I always remove shrink wrap, but if there is a hype sticker or even a barcode sticker on the shrink wrap I save it and stick it inside the jacket for future reference.

• Like 3

Devils advocate ? 

If you left the record inside it would be stiffer as a complete package and weaker just as thin cardboard 

However shrink wrap and other non stable plastics do suck in that they can emit vapour and etch the record surface over a protracted time 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Full Range said:

Devils advocate ? 

If you left the record inside it would be stiffer as a complete package and weaker just as thin cardboard 

However shrink wrap and other non stable plastics do suck in that they can emit vapour and etch the record surface over a protracted time 

True however there would still be under unnecessary pressure caused by the shrink so why take the risk?

I admit that in the past 6 months or so ive been keeping the shrink on but will revert back to my old habits which is to remove the plastic and cut out any hype stickers placing them in the sleeve @rockpig style.

Guest Misterioso
1 minute ago, Tubularbells said:

and cut out any hype stickers placing them in the sleeve @rockpig style.

Just curious, what for? Resale value? Information provided on these stickers? I always throw away the shrink wrap including all stickers (but I do use outer sleeves). I also throw away all advertisement material coming with the record. Am I doing something wrong?

Guest Eggcup The Daft
1 hour ago, Full Range said:

Devils advocate ? 

In my vinyl years I bought from two stores that sold old stock records, some of which had been shrink wrapped for up to ten years without this problem, or at most just bent the corners because it could move the card but not the disc.

If that's not a poly lined inner sleeve, I'd be more worried about the label being in direct contact with the shrink wrap. I had a label stick to shrink wrap with resulting damage once.

11 minutes ago, Plattenspieler said:

Just curious, what for [saving hype stickers on album shrinkwrap]? Resale value? Information provided on these stickers? I always throw away the shrink wrap including all stickers (but I do use outer sleeves). I also throw away all advertisement material coming with the record. Am I doing something wrong? 

i have always saved these, as it's part of the album packaging.  Can be interesting to look at years later.  As far as I'm aware, in general I don't think they affect resale value. However, we are talking record collecting/valuing so I'm sure that there would have to be a sticker that makes a particular record very valuable.  In comparison, Obi strips on Japanese pressings do affect resale value, so always keep these if you are intending to resell later. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eggcup The Daft said:

If that's not a poly lined inner sleeve, I'd be more worried about the label being in direct contact with the shrink wrap. I had a label stick to shrink wrap with resulting damage once.

I have had records etch from older plastic outer cover sleeve and the record was safe inside the freezer bag type inner sleeve 

So I’m at a loss to explain it 

Guest Eggcup The Daft

Not all plastic inner sleeves are safe either, though the ones I saw problems with dated from the early 70s and were thicker than for example the MFSL or Nagaoka bag type ones.

In some cases I understand that simply pressure, rather than the type of plastic, on a rippled sleeve can cause the etching.

Some wet record cleaning processes can remove it, depending on the cause.

5 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Flipping through a few records today I noticed an unusually large gap in one of the racks. Turns out the shrink wrap on one  had recently gone bad and as a consequence had severely bowed the outer sleeve. Thankfully as I store my records outside the jacket it was not warped but who knows what would have happened if I had stored it inside (another reason why I do this) so beware as I know it is the fashionable thing to keep the shrink wrap intact especially these days as they usually also have a hype sticker or two on it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wow!!!!

I've not seen a case of extreme warpage/shrinkage like this, EVER on my LPs.

I can imagine this happening on LPs stored in rooms with extremely variable temp control, or packed loosely.

Not good.

I always remove it, the outer sleeve I put my records in after it gets home protects the album just fine.

And on the rare occasion I buy 2 sealed copies (one for back up), I always remove shrink wrap. 

11 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That needs an exorcism...

• Haha 1

Ive checked a handful of other albums that are still in shrink and all seem ok. I was especially concerned with some of the rarer stuff like the clear vinyl of David Bodie's Blackstar and Kate Bush Aerial (both perfect) as we know records are more valuable sealed and as I already have playable versions of these an reluctant to crack the seal just for the sake of it.

IMG_2318.thumb.JPG.ff582433305e51927bd80769853517e9.JPG

Could the storage method also have something to do with it as all my other sealed records are stored vertically in the rack where as the bowed one was in one of my flick racks (sitting behind the Coroner album)

IMG_2321.thumb.JPG.257343647dfe56eb5b161e4c6ffca071.JPG

IMG_2320.thumb.JPG.ba2a6c851de383683d8e8f0e05601012.JPG

Edited by Tubularbells

13 hours ago, soundfan said:

I always remove it, the outer sleeve I put my records in after it gets home protects the album just fine.

And on the rare occasion I buy 2 sealed copies (one for back up), I always remove shrink wrap. 

+1000  it just makes sense

19 hours ago, Plattenspieler said:

Just curious, what for? Resale value? Information provided on these stickers? I always throw away the shrink wrap including all stickers (but I do use outer sleeves). I also throw away all advertisement material coming with the record. Am I doing something wrong?

Collectors can be picky.  I know Japanese albums can be worth more with the Obi (paper belt) wrapper still intact.

Guest Misterioso
1 minute ago, metal beat said:

Paper OBI strip is very different to shitty shrink wrap.

He never claimed the opposite. Your quote is an answer to my question regarding stickers. Pretty obvious, actually.

Guest Eggcup The Daft
20 hours ago, Citroen said:

Wow!!!!

I've not seen a case of extreme warpage/shrinkage like this, EVER on my LPs.

I can imagine this happening on LPs stored in rooms with extremely variable temp control, or packed loosely.

Not good.

Fortunately, only the sleeve (see original post). I have seen a record that bad, and have bought some in a box set that were so badly dished they could have been used as  flowerpots! OK, slight exaggeration there but you all know what I mean.

Dishing is the worst... never seems to flatten no matter what you do.