Sign in to follow this  
Gieseler Audio

Remote control volume & input selector board for DIY use.

OK so I’m thinking two version options.

1. Basic volume control only version which would have line in/line out & be a simple

replacement for the volume control in an amplifier.

2. Volume control plus input selection. 

This would be a larger board with say three or four pairs of RCA sockets & would suit a full DIY amplifier build.

Both versions would require an AC input of 12+12v or +- 20 to 30v DC sourced from within the amplifier.

The AC 12+12v option is best as it would be totally independent & with better filtering.

Just use a small transformer from say Jaycar.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/24v-3-6va-150ma-centre-tapped-type-2854-transformer/p/MM2018

The unit would be supplied with my usual 2.8” OLED display & remote control. These are the same components 

that are used in the Gross/Fein DAC’s.

Control is totally via the remote with no physical pot/knob.

Cost;

The Muses chip is $36 + Muses buffer, OLED display, pcb, micro & remote are the major cost components so there is about a $100 for those.

Then build time, shipping packaging & most important my  IP for the code which makes the whole thing work smoothly.

A rough ball park figure would be in the $300 to $400 range to make it a viable product for me.

Still interested???

Bear in mind this is a high quality design & anyone wanting a cheap basic unit there are tons of options from China via EBay.

Edited by Gieseler Audio

Sounds great Clay.

Is it possible to have a balanced volume control only option with XLRs in and out?

Sure - but it will bump the price up as I will need two Muses vol control chips & two Muses buffers & a different pcb.

I guess about $100 extra

I'm interested in this, but perhaps from a slightly different angle. I have no DIY skills, so that's me out (as far as inserting it into an amp). But I do want a switching box. I have one, but it's designed for video plus audio, and I'm not convinced it doesn't degrade the signal. I havent been able to find a better one that has a remote, which is required. And a passive one won't excel in my setup. Basically I like a switching box to compare preamps, without having to change cords etc. So multiple inputs with a remote that switches inputs (and does volume) as a standalone self-contained unit would attract me. (Even more attractive to more people if it could also output to multiple power amps.)

Yes I could certainly offer it as a fully built up self contained unit.

It would only bump the price up slightly  -  just case & PSU being the extra cost.

I would probably use the Klein case as I am set up for that already.

OK sounds like I need to get serious about this.

Maybe a self contained demo unit first that I could send out  then everyone could get a feel for

the  sound quality control etc.

Sounds like a good idea to me Clay

@Gieseler Audio I could use a basic volume control version with XLR in and out, if that's possible? I'll be in receipt of a power amp and an HP amp that has balanced input but not volume control soonish.

On 24/04/2019 at 8:23 AM, Gieseler Audio said:

OK so I’m thinking two version options.

1. Basic volume control only version which would have line in/line out & be a simple

replacement for the volume control in an amplifier.

2. Volume control plus input selection. 

This would be a larger board with say three or four pairs of RCA sockets & would suit a full DIY amplifier build.

Both versions would require an AC input of 12+12v or +- 20 to 30v DC sourced from within the amplifier.

The AC 12+12v option is best as it would be totally independent & with better filtering.

Just use a small transformer from say Jaycar.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/24v-3-6va-150ma-centre-tapped-type-2854-transformer/p/MM2018

The unit would be supplied with my usual 2.8” OLED display & remote control. These are the same components 

that are used in the Gross/Fein DAC’s.

Control is totally via the remote with no physical pot/knob.

Cost;

The Muses chip is $36 + Muses buffer, OLED display, pcb, micro & remote are the major cost components so there is about a $100 for those.

Then build time, shipping packaging & most important my  IP for the code which makes the whole thing work smoothly.

A rough ball park figure would be in the $300 to $400 range to make it a viable product for me.

Still interested???

Bear in mind this is a high quality design & anyone wanting a cheap basic unit there are tons of options from China via EBay.

Is this still in the pipeline?....would be interested in a 8in/8out version, no input switching required....would just sit above a multi channel amp.