The Definitive Stylus Cleaner thread.

When I was doing the vinyl thing I tried the ME and found it just pushed the crud up to the top of the stylus.

After that I used a drum dampener each play along with a stylus brush, and occasionally a touch of cleaner and brush applied very carefully (that's with a nude stylus not bonded).

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know this topic has been covered before but I thought it might be good to have an ongoing thread regarding stylus cleaning methods and to showcase any new products/methods that may be released....an

Hi Andy, I got the set-up tip from Fremers Analog planet https://www.analogplanet.com/content/how-use-usb-digital-microscope-set-92-degree-stylus-rake-angle-sra I use a 5mp Digitech QC-3199 camera

I use this -  a magnifying glass with LED lights and can fold itself to a stand, or be hand held.  And it's less than $5! -   https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/16x-30mm-LED-Illuminated-Magnifier-M

3 minutes ago, muon* said:

When I was doing the vinyl thing I tried the ME and found it just pushed the crud up to the top of the stylus.

After that I used a drum dampener each play along with a stylus brush, and occasionally a touch of cleaner and brush applied very carefully (that's with a nude stylus not bonded).

why would it matter with bonded? Even nude have glue.

Chris

Just now, cafe latte said:

why would it matter with bonded? Even nude have glue.

Chris

Then don't use it ever as it may de-solve the glue!

Happy :D

Hi All,

3 hours ago, stevoz said:

I've said it before (first post of this thread)and I'll say it again......just use these. Cheap as chips and basically no different to the above or Moongel or Zerodust. I've used them for years now and they work superbly. Sticky Hands kids toy. Seriously.

sticky hands toys online -

Use these as well, do a very good job.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, muon* said:

Then don't use it ever as it may de-solve the glue!

Happy :D

It wont, I am a retipper, if alcohol dissolved glue retipping would be far easier than it is. Alcohol does nothing to stylus tip glue. Tips are glued on generally with epoxy and epoxy is even good enough to fix fuel tanks ie constant contact with fuel and alcohol. A damp stylus brush now and again will do no harm at all. A while ago on VE someone to prove a point put a bunch of old stylus in a Jar of isopropyl alcohol with lid on and left them soaking for many weeks. A the end of the test the glue was still fine and tips secure. Not what you would do to a stylus, but it makes the point.

Chris

• Like 3

My take. (I still have my first LP—pre stereo even.) :

From what I remember (from the old days) the issue was too much alcohol or other cleaner would travel up the cantilever and affect the suspension, so damp only was the go.

Of course Linn recommended their green sandpaper to keep the tip clean. They didn't worry about the rest of the diamond. (I've got two sheets of that.)

Then there were the incredibly dense brushes that only the diamond tip would penetrate, and some had electric vibrators. (I've got one of each!)

The magic erasers are quite coarse and have been reported to occasionally snag a diamond and keep it. (Ouch.)

The sticky jelly things seem to work quite well on the loose stuff but don't touch anything tougher.

And of course the best stylus cleaner is LPs that have been ultrasonically cleaned and stored properly.:yes:

• Like 2
8 hours ago, cafe latte said:

It wont, I am a retipper, if alcohol dissolved glue retipping would be far easier than it is. Alcohol does nothing to stylus tip glue. Tips are glued on generally with epoxy and epoxy is even good enough to fix fuel tanks ie constant contact with fuel and alcohol. A damp stylus brush now and again will do no harm at all. A while ago on VE someone to prove a point put a bunch of old stylus in a Jar of isopropyl alcohol with lid on and left them soaking for many weeks. A the end of the test the glue was still fine and tips secure. Not what you would do to a stylus, but it makes the point.

Chris

Nice to know, thanks 🙂

9 hours ago, cafe latte said:

I have a spray bottle, I spray the stylus brush and then brush back and forth. I tend to do it under the microscope as I can but a loupe will be sufficient.

Chris

What sort of stylus brush do you recommend?

Also curious, have you compared Isopropyl Alcohol with any stylus cleaning fluid like Lyra SPT or similar?

Are there any particular styluses that that you've come across that don't use epoxy where alcohol may a risk to the adhesive?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Martykt said:

What sort of stylus brush do you recommend?

Also curious, have you compared Isopropyl Alcohol with any stylus cleaning fluid like Lyra SPT or similar?

Are there any particular styluses that that you've come across that don't use epoxy where alcohol may a risk to the adhesive?

Ortofon were reputed to use a different glue, and I dont own any with original tip either. Someone though on VE did say that he uses alcohol on Ortofon long term with no issues. 

Jico sas, and other MR stylus use a really really hard metal epoxy which seems to be resistant to everything apart chipping off. Soundsmith use what looks like a very soft (not ideal at all) UV glue which again should be resistant to alcohol, ut UV glue stays soft on the surface and if thin like on a stylus whole glue is silicone like. Certain cyanoacrylates can be used but they are too fast really but again resistant to alcohol. I cant think of any glue that would have issues with alcohol.

Chris

Re stylus brush I will take a pic of one of mine later.

Chris

• Thanks 1