Jump to content

The Definitive Stylus Cleaner thread.


Recommended Posts

warm water does it. Like new!

 

Edited to add: today I went to KMart and found rthe Sticky Hands immediately in the party supplies section of stuff in the white net bags. I bought two bags of hands, for a total of $4.00. I noticed one bag was torn and when I got home discovered there were only four sticky hands in it, which means that someone shoplifted a 40c item. Who would have thought?  And at Big W I bought the Magic Eraser. Off to play now...

Edited by ThirdDrawerDown
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know this topic has been covered before but I thought it might be good to have an ongoing thread regarding stylus cleaning methods and to showcase any new products/methods that may be released....an

Hi Andy, I got the set-up tip from Fremers Analog planet https://www.analogplanet.com/content/how-use-usb-digital-microscope-set-92-degree-stylus-rake-angle-sra I use a 5mp Digitech QC-3199 camera

I use this -  a magnifying glass with LED lights and can fold itself to a stand, or be hand held.  And it's less than $5! -   https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/16x-30mm-LED-Illuminated-Magnifier-M

 

On 24/06/2018 at 3:30 PM, aussievintage said:

- using Magic Eraser is also safe.  I did a torture test.  I scraped and ripped a stylus through and through a piece of ME, and nothing bad happened at all.  I think the myth about damaging styluses comes from nervous nellies, especially those using ME with the sound still turned up, and hearing the noise that results.  btw. ME does a VERY good job of regular cleaning.  If you have a really gooped up stylus, I think a bit of fluid may help though.

 

On 25/06/2018 at 1:04 PM, Blk plastic said:

+1 for Magic Eraser. No residue, works very well and is cheap as chips. I use a tiny gift box as a platform, a match box would also suffice. I inspect the stylus before AND after cleaning and I've never had a problem with stray fibres.

 

On 11/07/2018 at 4:05 PM, aussievintage said:

I think I posted before that I had never seen any evidence of fibres left on the stylus in any of the closeups I have taken.  It's just a furphy from some of the real worrywarts.

Let me present - The evidence.

 

ned.jpg.a37e6b3807621bde5a8c4a5309285fe1.jpg

 

I've noticed this with my admitted dodgy eyes so decided to take a photo. I have been using the Magic Eraser in between regular brushing with the Ortofon Microfibre and the brush supplied with the cartridge. I clean my records so I can only conclude this is from the Magic Eraser as it appears to be white. This picture was after I had physically pulled some off with my fingers. 😳

On 24/06/2018 at 6:32 PM, Citroen said:

That's the beauty if the Zerodust or Moongel. It quickly lifts those bits off the stylus.


 

Ive ordered some Moongel to see if that will remove the offending particle.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, crisis said:

 

 

 

Let me present - The evidence.

 

ned.jpg.a37e6b3807621bde5a8c4a5309285fe1.jpg

 

I've noticed this with my admitted dodgy eyes so decided to take a photo. I have been using the Magic Eraser in between regular brushing with the Ortofon Microfibre and the brush supplied with the cartridge. I clean my records so I can only conclude this is from the Magic Eraser as it appears to be white. This picture was after I had physically pulled some off with my fingers.

 

 

 

Thank you for this.  It's certainly damning!  :(

 

Maybe after an abrasive clean with the ME - yes, you need a suction clean with a Moongel or Onzow?  The ME takes off the baked-on gunk ... and the gel removes any stray ME fibres?

 

Andy

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, andyr said:

 

Thank you for this.  It's certainly damning!  :(

 

Maybe after an abrasive clean with the ME - yes, you need a suction clean with a Moongel or Onzow?  The ME takes off the baked-on gunk ... and the gel removes any stray ME fibres?

 

Andy

 

Or I could just go and buy a product specifically designed for cleaning cartridges instead of walls and deadening drum kits.. 😜

Link to post
Share on other sites


Guest DarkNark

Interesting to note that Ortofon do not recommend Zerodust for their stylus.

 

"NB: Ortofon do not recommend the use of the Onzow Zerodust stylus cleaner as we have seen detrimental effects of using this detergent. "  Link

 

I am not sure why, maybe they have seen some lost styli?

 

I think a need to invest in one of them new fangled usb microscopes to see how dirty my stylus is actually getting and adjust my cleaning routine to suit. Makes me a touch nervous when the manufacturer of my cart specifically points out not to use the product that I currently use.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, crisis said:

 

 

 

Let me present - The evidence.

 

ned.jpg.a37e6b3807621bde5a8c4a5309285fe1.jpg

 

I've noticed this with my admitted dodgy eyes so decided to take a photo. I have been using the Magic Eraser in between regular brushing with the Ortofon Microfibre and the brush supplied with the cartridge. I clean my records so I can only conclude this is from the Magic Eraser as it appears to be white. This picture was after I had physically pulled some off with my fingers. 😳

Ive ordered some Moongel to see if that will remove the offending particle.

 

You may be correct or it could just be some dust you did not remove ,still attached.

I have examined the stylus with a x60  magnifier before and after cleaning  with magic eraser and cannot report seeing any thing left on the stylus that I would associate with ME. Plus with a second pass of ME there is normally no remaining debris that can be seen with the x 60. 

Tried  being quite ruff with an old cart and now use on my $400 AT440MLb  with no concerns.

With out the x 60 magnifier it is not that easy to tell what is there. 

$8 free post  X 60 Magnifier https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/60x-Zoom-LED-Microscope-Micro-Lens-Silver-Mini-EMAGN9882/132004936687?epid=562346733&hash=item1ebc1b7bef:g:xXcAAOSw4GVYLBZ9:rk:23:pf:0

 

737453064_x60.jpg.b2c07cbe3b77e9ee40ac1bab78cd9aac.jpg

 

Edited by EV Cali
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EV Cali said:

You may be correct or it could just be some dust you did not remove ,still attached.

I have examined the stylus with a x60  magnifier before and after cleaning  with magic eraser and cannot report seeing any thing left on the stylus that I would associate with ME. Plus with a second pass of ME there is normally no remaining debris that can be seen with the x 60. 

Tried  being quite ruff with an old cart and now use on my $400 AT440MLb  with no concerns.

With out the x 60 magnifier it is not that easy to tell what is there. 

$8 free post  X 60 Magnifier https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/60x-Zoom-LED-Microscope-Micro-Lens-Silver-Mini-EMAGN9882/132004936687?epid=562346733&hash=item1ebc1b7bef:g:xXcAAOSw4GVYLBZ9:rk:23:pf:0

 

737453064_x60.jpg.b2c07cbe3b77e9ee40ac1bab78cd9aac.jpg

 

 

It's often old dust either not completely removed, or re-attached from the ME.  You need to move the ME around, turn it over, etc as it does such a good job, it's surface gets impregnated with fluff and fibres.  Look at a used bit with a microscope and you'll see.  You'll also see ME is not made of long fibres, it a micro-cellular foam.  Anything long an stringy you see on a stylus did not come from the ME.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Ive ordered some Moongel to see if that will remove the offending particle.
 

I moved from ME to Moongel a couple of years ago, for that very reason. I still get the white flecks though. I think it coming out of the grooves, stuff (release agent?) my knosti doesn’t remove. You won’t see the white stuff on the ME when you lift it off, but I see it on the moongel.
IMG_0032.jpg
IMG_0033.jpg
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


12 hours ago, EV Cali said:

You may be correct or it could just be some dust you did not remove ,still attached.

 

Its clearly not "dust"

12 hours ago, EV Cali said:

I have examined the stylus with a x60  magnifier before and after cleaning  with magic eraser and cannot report seeing any thing left on the stylus that I would associate with ME. Plus with a second pass of ME there is normally no remaining debris that can be seen with the x 60. 

 

In the end its all anecdotal. I found this and others haven't.

 

8 hours ago, aussievintage said:

 

It's often old dust either not completely removed, or re-attached from the ME.  You need to move the ME around, turn it over, etc as it does such a good job, it's surface gets impregnated with fluff and fibres.  Look at a used bit with a microscope and you'll see.  You'll also see ME is not made of long fibres, it a micro-cellular foam.  Anything long an stringy you see on a stylus did not come from the ME.

I didn't think anything long and stringy would be "dust".

Ill see what happens after the moongel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/01/2019 at 12:54 AM, DarkNark said:

Interesting to note that Ortofon do not recommend Zerodust for their stylus.

 

"NB: Ortofon do not recommend the use of the Onzow Zerodust stylus cleaner as we have seen detrimental effects of using this detergent. "  Link

 

I am not sure why, maybe they have seen some lost styli?

 

I think a need to invest in one of them new fangled usb microscopes to see how dirty my stylus is actually getting and adjust my cleaning routine to suit. Makes me a touch nervous when the manufacturer of my cart specifically points out not to use the product that I currently use.

I have been given the same advice against using a Zerodust or equivalent by one of the most knowledgeable person in the industry when it comes to vinyl.

 

The reason given is many people use the Zerodust by lifting it up by hand onto the stylus and as some of the expensive styluses these days can be quite fragile and easily damaged this way.

His advice is that the only safe way to use a Zerodust or equivalent is to have it fixed on a mount and to lower the stylus gently with the tonearm lift.

 

His recommendation for stylus cleaning actually goes against the common advice in this thread with a particular wet cleaner.

The specific wet cleaner he recommendeds is the Lyra SPT.

While expensive it is solvent free and is formulated so it won't damage the glue holding the diamond or stylus.

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 18/01/2019 at 9:47 PM, crisis said:

Ill see what happens after the moongel.

This is what the moongel removed immediately after I used the magic eraser..

DSC_1496.JPG.ddb1a546c4610dcda2453c682f6b7834.JPG

 

What is more annoying is that nothing will remove this. I tried tweezers but my eye sight is rat **** and my hands aren't that steady..

 

DSC_1495.JPG

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


  • 2 weeks later...

I've been using Magic Eraser since I stumbled across this thread a couple on months ago.  I must say I'm a convert.  Every 5 sides I cue lever down onto a strip of Magic Eraser three times and it's been working a treat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rocketfrogs said:

I've been using Magic Eraser since I stumbled across this thread a couple on months ago.  I must say I'm a convert.  Every 5 sides I cue lever down onto a strip of Magic Eraser three times and it's been working a treat.

 

Why did you decide on "every 5 sides", Rf?

 

Me - every side I do something ... a combination of ME, stiff stylus brush and Zerodust.

 

Andy

 

Edited by andyr
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, andyr said:

Why did you decide on "every 5 sides", Rf?

I record every side I play so I can track stylus hours.  I group them in '5's' so it just makes it easy to remember to clean.

 

P1070386.thumb.JPG.63d62094fad7a247e9aa9afe6ca6e205.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rocketfrogs said:

I record every side I play so I can track stylus hours.  I group them in '5's' so it just makes it easy to remember to clean.

 

P1070386.thumb.JPG.63d62094fad7a247e9aa9afe6ca6e205.JPG

 

Wow!  Doubly bizarre!  :lol:

 

  1. Counting sides is done for one reason
  2. Cleaning the stylus is done for an entirely different reason!

You can still count to 5 on a piece of paper and clean the stylus every side - surely!  IOW, it's not something you have to 'remember' - you simply do it as a matter of course, each side.

 

And why not simply buy a 'golf counter' and click it for each side played.  That's what I do, anyway.  2,800 sides equals ~1,000 hours ... so that's when a retip is due.

 

Andy

 

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


21 minutes ago, andyr said:

 

Why did you decide on "every 5 sides", Rf?

 

Me - every side I do something ... a combination of ME, stiff stylus brush and Zerodust.

 

Andy

 

 

Maybe you should clean your records better Andy :)         On very clean records, you can clean less often.   I do it every couple of sides though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, andyr said:
  • Counting sides is done for one reason
  • Cleaning the stylus is done for an entirely different reason!

Multi-tasking!

 

8 minutes ago, andyr said:

Wow!  Doubly bizarre!  :lol:

The story of my life!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

 

On very clean records, you can clean less often.   I do it every couple of sides though.

 

 

You can, av (clean less often with very clean records).  But - since it's such an easy process - why not do it every side?  Just like you use a CF brush before each side.

 

Andy

 

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, andyr said:

 

You can, av (clean less often with very clean records).  But - since it's such an easy process - why not do it every side?  Just like you use a CF brush before each side.

 

Andy

 

 

Why not?  Because it is unnecessary. :logik:

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, andyr said:

And why not simply buy a 'golf counter' and click it for each side played.

What is simple about going out and buying something when I already have pen and paper? 😎

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...

My stylus cleaning includes:

 

Stylus brush - every side

Moongel & Magic Eraser - daily

Lyra SPT using stand mounted magnifier w/ light - weekly (roughly every 10 hours +/-)

 

I find the Lyra fluid does clean baked on crud quite well but it's a PIA to use it for each side as recommended. I need the magnifier to make sure I'm only getting it on the stylus tip & not the cantilever.

 

 

613166868.jpg

Edited by shawnwes
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the tips around the ME - started using it last night and made a big difference to my tt! Need to put together one of those ultrasonic cleaner kits to fix up the source of the grime!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 7 months later...

paul Thomas towards the end of this video recommended Flint from a matchbox carefully moving from the back to front. He said that Linn used to sell some fine emery paper years ago. 
 

also suggested gluing MM stylus with a bit of super glue to reduce movement. 
 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another vote for Magic Eraser.

 

My London Decca (Super Gold with Decapod) stylus is notorious for picking up detritus & the ME used frequently (after every LP or two, easy to do) keeps it clean.

 

London Decca do not recommend any stylus cleaner fluids, but these have not been necessary.

 

The only problem encountered is occasional fibres/hairs & such wrapped around the stylus shank - when this happens, a gentle soft brushing may be necessary. - But the key here is to keep records fastidiously clean (ultrasonic cleaning of all s/hand & even new records).

 

The Deccas have such strong coupling between stylus & magnets, that some methods previously used on other cart's now seem (& sound)  'brutal' - eg. Stylast (stiff) brushes, sticky Zerodust-type gooey stuff, etc.

 

Previously I was using LYRA's SPT Stylus Treatment (which is a unique no-solvent cleaner/treatment) on my MCs, but the ME is easier to use (which means i use it more often).

 

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

 

Still_2019-08-26_175634_100.jpg

Edited by Owen Y
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By stevoz
      My brother discovered these on ebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5X-Mini-Sticky-Stretch-Jelly-Stick-Slap-Squishy-Hands-Palm-Kids-Party-Favour-Toy-/252424716457?hash=item3ac5af80a9:g:EjIAAOSwzJ5XX-0e  I kid you not! He bought some then used one to clean his Ortofon MC10 Superior. You should have seen the crap that got left on the 'sticky hand', from both the stylus and the cantilever (inspected with 60x mag)! Wow, brilliant and super cheap, and dare I say it, even better than Magic Eraser. At the price, forget Zerodust.
    • By Steam
      Anyone used this gunk? Do I want to dunk the Delos in this?
      Vinyl Passion Dust Buster
      http://fanaticschoice.com.au/index.php/accessories/vinyl-accesories/vinyl-passion-dust-buster.html
      http://www.originlive.com/usb-cables/vinyl-passion-dust-buster.html

    • By Focals86
      Can anybody recommend a good stylus cleaner for a beginner?



×
×
  • Create New...