The Definitive Stylus Cleaner thread.

23 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

There are purpose made CF brushes that are stiffer

http://www.decibelhifi.com.au/carbon-fibre-stylus-cleaning-brush

That's a poor stylus brush unfortunately. The best is Ortofon as it's really stiff. I tried the Decibel Hifi one as it looks identical but the bristles are very soft and do no more than remove fine dust from the stylus which is fine if that's all you need to remove but not much good for dirt or stuck hairs.

As regards definitive stylus cleaner as per the original post, I'm firmly in the camp of having pristine records before anything and then all you have to concern yourself about is light dust. A stiff stylus brush before each side just after brushing the record is how I do things. It has become such a habit-brush for a couple of rotations as the platter reaches speed then stylus brush then lower the arm onto the record that I have the muscle memory built into my arm and it feels odd to miss part of the process.

Edited by Hergest

37 minutes ago, andyr said:

I think you'll find the CF fibres are not stiff enuff to clean the stylus well.  IE. great for records - but not for styli.

Andy

It’s this one, prob should’ve explained myself better

B6DAE630-71BD-4376-BACB-F1361738F644.jpeg

FB441204-EDE6-4B5D-84B4-E23F91DA98D9.jpeg

1 hour ago, andyr said:

Perhaps, in addition to your brush, you need to invest in either a 'gel' cleaner (Zerodust or equivalent) or, better, a us stylus cleaner?  ?  (Emery paper is only for Linnies - and we all know how weird they are!  ? )

I know and some are weirder then others. Check this out.:ermm: Image result for skeletal linn lp12

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aussievintage said:

There are purpose made CF brushes that are stiffer

http://www.decibelhifi.com.au/carbon-fibre-stylus-cleaning-brush

Aah, OK.

1 hour ago, 08Boss302 said:

It’s this one, prob should’ve explained myself better

B6DAE630-71BD-4376-BACB-F1361738F644.jpeg

FB441204-EDE6-4B5D-84B4-E23F91DA98D9.jpeg

You've been 'sucked in'!  Yes, CF bristles conduct - so they're good for removing static from record surfaces (as well as removing dust) - but diamond styli do not hold a static charge.  And, as Hergest posted, they're not much good for dirt or stuck hairs.

Use the "Disc Doctor" stylus brush which is also on the Decibel HiFi link you gave, instead.

Andy

Edited by andyr

42 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

I know and some are weirder then others. Check this out.:ermm: 

Image result for skeletal linn lp12

"Senses working overtime", indeed W!!  ? 

Well done for retrieving that pic - that's a pic of my SkeletaLinn which is about 5 years old - so just after I developed v1.

Attached is a pic of the current v2 - with 2 motors.  ?  And no Linn felt mat!  And an Edward Chan composite inner platter.  And a 'Tranquility' mag-lev bearing lift.  A big step forward!  ?

Andy

SkeletaLinn v2 12.jpg

Guest Misterioso

I have a very soft record brush (Thunderon, sold by @Hensa on the forum a while ago) that I also use to clean the stylus. I also clean all records with a RCM. 

6 hours ago, aussievintage said:

-   Using a fluid, especially those little bottles with a built in brush, is safe especially doing it 'in place' with the cartridge still mounted on the arm/headshell.  There's no way anyone could apply enough fluid to ever have it wick up the cantilever and into the cartridge.

I disagree with ANY liquids in a bottle and even if you are so friggin careful...

liquids left without drying will find its way anywhere including defying gravity as certain materials will assist for it to "creep". This can be shown with uses of paper towels;  if dropped a paper towel or cleanex on liquid you can demonstrate that it will creep into the fibres and flow against gravity to be absorbed.   I've seen a MC cartridge with its coil totally corroded away hence the reason why there's no sound in one channel, reason of the use of stylus cleaning fluids.  When you have $0000 invested stay away from fluids.

• Like 1

I clean all records with US and vacuum when I first get them. I wet vac EVERY time they're played. I use a CF brush which is plenty stiff enough. The purpose of CF in this case has nothing to do with antistatic characteristics. It is the only material financially viable which is both fine enough and strong enough to capture and hold dust and grit without wearing away quickly. The many fine bristles will hold the contaminates better than a more coarse brush. If your stylus needs a scrub, it's probably too late. It gets VERY hot in operation and causes gunk to varnish to a hard layer, much like a saucepan. For this reason I don't trust oily gels either. My stylus brush has a convenient magnifying mirror on the reverse side.

1529849687693326225611.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, t_mike said:

I clean all records with US and vacuum when I first get them. I wet vac EVERY time they're played. I use a CF brush which is plenty stiff enough. The purpose of CF in this case has nothing to do with antistatic characteristics. It is the only material financially viable which is both fine enough and strong enough to capture and hold dust and grit without wearing away quickly. The many fine bristles will hold the contaminates better than a more coarse brush. If your stylus needs a scrub, it's probably too late. It gets VERY hot in operation and causes gunk to varnish to a hard layer, much like a saucepan. For this reason I don't trust oily gels either. My stylus brush has a convenient magnifying mirror on the reverse side.

1529849687693326225611.jpg

The old Discwasher stylus brush. In regards to the heat, that is why I use a very fine Emery or Wet and Dry. The stylus cops a greater hiding playing records then what the emery can give it.

10 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

I disagree with ANY liquids in a bottle and even if you are so friggin careful...

liquids left without drying will find its way anywhere including defying gravity as certain materials will assist for it to "creep". This can be shown with uses of paper towels;  if dropped a paper towel or cleanex on liquid you can demonstrate that it will creep into the fibres and flow against gravity to be absorbed.   I've seen a MC cartridge with its coil totally corroded away hence the reason why there's no sound in one channel, reason of the use of stylus cleaning fluids.  When you have $0000 invested stay away from fluids.

The MC cart you saw might have had heaps of excess fluid applied when upside down.  The tiny brush supplied with the fluid just won't apply enough for it to climb up the cantilever when in normal position.

1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

The MC cart you saw might have had heaps of excess fluid applied when upside down.  The tiny brush supplied with the fluid just won't apply enough for it to climb up the cantilever when in normal position.

AIUI, it depends whether the cantilever is an (aluminium) tube ... or a solid (boron/ruby) rod.  You will get wicking with an ally tube.

Andy

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hensa said:

You need to pay better attention, Andy. The OP expressly states the first pic is after "playing a newly bought but 'brushed only' second hand LP". That is not what I mean by "clean your records". Of course, you may find a simple dry brushing of a second hand record purchase acceptable in which case, you should be brushing your stylus after every track rather than after every side.:winky:

I prefer to Revirginize second hand records before play but sometimes I'm just too curious to do that first.:) Once RV'd, I believe a brush will do and I 'gel dab' my stylus before every side anyway......?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Citroen said:

That's the beauty if the Zerodust or Moongel. It quickly lifts those bits off the stylus.

I used to blow like hell and hope they fell off, rather than put my clumsy mitts near the pointy end.

As does 'Sticky Hands"......it comes down to whether you want to pay $30 to >$100....or....$2 for a product that is essentially identical and just as effective. NB: Warning to all on Moongel....I have read that it is an 'oilier' version of Zerodust and is far more likely to leave an oily residue on one's stylus......but I don't find 'Sticky Hands' oily at all.?

17 hours ago, 08Boss302 said:

I use a small carbon fibre brush thingy, then check with led light. 

when you refer to using sticky hands is this literally the reference?

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/6-pack-sticky-hands/692385

They're the ones......Zerodust in the shape of Donald Trump's hand!? Are you game enough to try them?:)

• Like 1

+1 for Magic Eraser. No residue, works very well and is cheap as chips. I use a tiny gift box as a platform, a match box would also suffice. I inspect the stylus before AND after cleaning and I've never had a problem with stray fibres.

• Like 1

I have an original Discwasher stylus cleaner, as previously shown.  I've never had problems with the SC-2 cleaning fluid, most gets sucked into the brush fibres so minimal would make contact with the stylus.  Have never seen before+after photos of it's use. 

image9.jpg

Have read that some have used blu-tack as a cheap substitute for the gel cleaners, and have read some reports of the blu-tack removing the stylus from the cantilever - so be careful with this.  The "Sticky Hands" seem a lot safer option, I'll stop by Kmart tonight and spend the mighty $2 to see what they are like.  If it's good they will get a big "hands-up"!

image.png.1695e6dcdb8ee106739cfafa62e15e62.png

Edited by audiofeline
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Blk plastic said:

+1 for Magic Eraser. No residue, works very well and is cheap as chips. I use a tiny gift box as a platform, a match box would also suffice. I inspect the stylus before AND after cleaning and I've never had a problem with stray fibres.

I find the little plastic boxes that styluses come in work well too and seems kinda appropriate.

• Like 1

On 24/06/2018 at 7:02 PM, andyr said:

I'm bloody anal about it,

I’m told hemeroids are very painful

Perhaps the magic eraser mght be more gentle and less bloody

• Like 1