The Definitive Stylus Cleaner thread.

5 minutes ago, Rocketfrogs said:

I record every side I play so I can track stylus hours.  I group them in '5's' so it just makes it easy to remember to clean.

P1070386.thumb.JPG.63d62094fad7a247e9aa9afe6ca6e205.JPG

Wow!  Doubly bizarre!  :lol:

1. Counting sides is done for one reason
  2. Cleaning the stylus is done for an entirely different reason!

You can still count to 5 on a piece of paper and clean the stylus every side - surely!  IOW, it's not something you have to 'remember' - you simply do it as a matter of course, each side.

And why not simply buy a 'golf counter' and click it for each side played.  That's what I do, anyway.  2,800 sides equals ~1,000 hours ... so that's when a retip is due.

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, andyr said:

Why did you decide on "every 5 sides", Rf?

Me - every side I do something ... a combination of ME, stiff stylus brush and Zerodust.

Andy

Maybe you should clean your records better Andy :)         On very clean records, you can clean less often.   I do it every couple of sides though.

1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

On very clean records, you can clean less often.   I do it every couple of sides though.

You can, av (clean less often with very clean records).  But - since it's such an easy process - why not do it every side?  Just like you use a CF brush before each side.

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

My stylus cleaning includes:

Stylus brush - every side

Moongel & Magic Eraser - daily

Lyra SPT using stand mounted magnifier w/ light - weekly (roughly every 10 hours +/-)

I find the Lyra fluid does clean baked on crud quite well but it's a PIA to use it for each side as recommended. I need the magnifier to make sure I'm only getting it on the stylus tip & not the cantilever.

613166868.jpg

Edited by shawnwes

• 7 months later...

paul Thomas towards the end of this video recommended Flint from a matchbox carefully moving from the back to front. He said that Linn used to sell some fine emery paper years ago. 

also suggested gluing MM stylus with a bit of super glue to reduce movement. 

Another vote for Magic Eraser.

My London Decca (Super Gold with Decapod) stylus is notorious for picking up detritus & the ME used frequently (after every LP or two, easy to do) keeps it clean.

London Decca do not recommend any stylus cleaner fluids, but these have not been necessary.

The only problem encountered is occasional fibres/hairs & such wrapped around the stylus shank - when this happens, a gentle soft brushing may be necessary. - But the key here is to keep records fastidiously clean (ultrasonic cleaning of all s/hand & even new records).

The Deccas have such strong coupling between stylus & magnets, that some methods previously used on other cart's now seem (& sound)  'brutal' - eg. Stylast (stiff) brushes, sticky Zerodust-type gooey stuff, etc.

Previously I was using LYRA's SPT Stylus Treatment (which is a unique no-solvent cleaner/treatment) on my MCs, but the ME is easier to use (which means i use it more often).

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

Still_2019-08-26_175634_100.jpg

Edited by Owen Y
  • Love 1

• 2 months later...

NAt the bottom of a story about the great value of five billion dollar vacuum tubes ( exaggerating but may as well be for my pocket😳)  there was an ad for a “new” company named ‘VOODOO’. They sell various record cleaning gear one being ‘Goo’ which is supposed to be for the stylus and the record.  They claim it gets the dust and other debris out of the actual groove.  Does this sound feasible and has anyone tried it with any success?  At @ $25 for a pot it’s much more affordable than those valves mentioned earlier😅

by the way I use a Disco Antistat (I think it’s called) that was a gift, which although better than nothing I’m sure doesn’t clean the grooves properly being as the brush fibres are too thick to penetrate them. And for the stylus just that teeny brush once before each play.

Stay Healthy

Edited by EddieT
Gosh darned auto correct

Most here know I retip, so I see a lot of stylus. Those that use alcohol and a brush have clean stylus, those that use these other methods dont. The goop that people dip the stylus in tends to stick to the tip a bit as time goes on and rubbish then sticks to it. I have seen quite a mess on a few stylus. The other issue is even the best of these goop cleaners dont get off baked on crud. I cleaned a stylus for a customer a while ago and it took about 15 minutes of brushing with alcohol to get the build up off crud off as there was so much.

Chris

• Like 1

Daiso also have an anti vibration gel pad called earthquake something....... that is also similar to the zerodust and the drum damper gel pads, about 3 bucks for 4x large squares of it.

Nicked this pick from someone here on the forums using it under speakers, so maybe more than one use in audio :)

19257EC7-C5A7-4591-8EDF-161483F65C3C.thumb.jpeg.c5bea34d04c43432482fcdf9beacbc1c.jpeg.3ace4e03642d049341efceb201a9ec66.jpeg

Edited by muon*
  • Like 1

On 04/05/2021 at 9:16 AM, muon* said:

Daiso also have an anti vibration gel pad called earthquake something....... that is also similar to the zerodust and the drum damper gel pads, about 3 bucks for 4x large squares of it.

Nicked this pick from someone here on the forums using it under speakers, so maybe more than one use in audio :)

19257EC7-C5A7-4591-8EDF-161483F65C3C.thumb.jpeg.c5bea34d04c43432482fcdf9beacbc1c.jpeg.3ace4e03642d049341efceb201a9ec66.jpeg

I've said it before (first post of this thread)and I'll say it again......just use these. Cheap as chips and basically no different to the above or Moongel or Zerodust. I've used them for years now and they work superbly. Sticky Hands kids toy. Seriously.

sticky hands toys online -

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stevoz said:

I've said it before (first post of this thread)and I'll say it again......just use these. Cheap as chips and basically no different to the above or Moongel or Zerodust. I've used them for years now and they work superbly. Sticky Hands kids toy. Seriously.

sticky hands toys online -

I'd prefer something that is not coloured.

Granted the things at Daiso are one dollar more xD

Personally I have only use clear drum dampeners, and I think all these things are made of the same material, at least they appear to be.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cafe latte said:

isopropyl alcohol damp (not wet) stylus brush.

Chris

Interesting, I am happy to try this.  Is the method to dampen the brush with the alcohol then run the stylus through it?

As mentioned above, I havent had any dramas but happy to try new methods.  Might get a few sticky hands too.

Edited by 08Boss302
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

Interesting, I am happy to try this.  Is the method to dampen the brush with the alcohol then run the stylus through it?

As mentioned above, I havent had any dramas but happy to try new methods.  Might get a few sticky hands too.

I have a spray bottle, I spray the stylus brush and then brush back and forth. I tend to do it under the microscope as I can but a loupe will be sufficient.

Chris

• Like 1