SOTM + Clock or Berkeley USB/SPDIF

Guest ClassicalGuy

Guest ClassicalGuy

I’ve decided to give a USB to SPDIF/AES converter a go – partly because of the possible SQ advantages but also because I dream of trying one of the Berkeley DACS one day. 

At first, I thought the SOTM (dX-USB HD) for $650 was well priced compared to the Berkeley which I think is about $3500. But then I saw about getting the SOTM with the clock upgrade. I’m not an engineer, but I know clocks can improve things a lot (DCS and Esoteric reviews for example) and the SOTM with the better clock upgrade is $2000. Nowhere near Berkeley money, but enough for me to go ‘if the Berkeley is that good, I’ll just hold off a bit and go for that instead’. 

Thus, does anyone have any experience with either of these? The SOTM with the clock upgrade etc? I can’t see anything about the Berkeley having a clock? Is there something else that might be better? 

Cheers

Hi there,

I recently purchased a SOtM SMS200 Ultra with clock upgrade & the D- Link Ethernet switch from @scumbag here on SNA.  I had the SMS 200 previously.  In short, there was a big improvement in SQ.  My coarse appraisal would be that the clock & switch were at least 60% of that increase in SQ, possibly more  .....that's if you believe that one can objectively quantify things such as SQ ;-).  Once I head this, it made immediate intuitive sense to me when contrasted to good analogue setup.   I was agnostic until about a week ago, and now i get the importance of tight clocking of digital signals.

I suspect that you are really talking about dedicated clocks, but I thought I'd put this in the mix anyway.    

Guest scumbag

Clocks and good power regulation / filtering certainly do seem to be the big ticket items in both the SOTM200 Ultra and the UltraRendu.

Guest ClassicalGuy

Thanks, you've both confirmed everything I've read about clocks, including the quality of the SOTM clock upgrade. 

The thing I find weird about clocks is manufacturers tend not to talk about them unless they sell them. I'm sure the Berkeley DACS or maybe even the converter has a clock in it, but they don't talk about it. I would like to know the specifications of what's going on inside their products but they don't really talk about it. Knowing the SOTM does the job and has a well-regarded clock makes it hard to pass up.