Are GTG's becoming extinct??

At the risk of negativity, I have become concerned by the sudden drop off in the last few years  of GTG's!

Others have discussed it with me as well.

I hold one often around once a Month, and despite many people saying they'll have to hold one - never appears to happen.

Don't get me wrong, there are a handful of members who hold one every now and then - however nowhere near enough for such a large forum like this!

With the increasing amount of new members joining Stereonet, many of which are in major cities of Australia - GTG's are a perfect chance for them to introduce themselves and to listen to sound systems in a home environment away from the pressures of Hifi retail stores.

Hell, it was the way I met many of the characters on SNA and formed long standing friendships!

I just feel we need to occasionally look inwardly at ourselves and strive to improve - Melbourne Audio Club of which I am a member holds Monthly GTG meetings at members homes in several different genres.

Maybe we need subsidizing to be motivated enough to hold them - although we could copy MAC's format of bring a plate and easing expense.

Thoughts invited??

Mods @Marc @:) al @wolster

• Like 13

1 minute ago, richard260 said:

I think people some times are just busy haven't got time or to tired from work to be bothered sometimes

that is the main thing I think. everyone is so busy. my weekends seem to just disappear and during the week seems to be a bit busy !  

they do take some commitment, and I applaud those who do it, and I very much appreciate the invites. I too try and do once year at least. but for me family commitments are a struggle, work and study on top.

bring a plate is always a good idea. last time I did that we had SO much food ! so peoples generosity is definitely there. I still feel obliged as host though to provide food, drink etc

once a month ? I remember when we did 3 in the one day :D am sure we'll have ups and downs quiet stretches...

• Like 4

I had 2 GTG's in Perth the 2 weekends before I left Perth. Now in Melbourne I have been patiently waiting for a GTG to be publicised to get to meet some more of the Melbourne members. I have met 2 so far

Once I have a proper house (still living in a hotel) and some gear (sold a lot of it off for the move, so still 6 to 12 months away) I will absolutely have a GTG.

I really enjoyed hosting my last 2 and I believe the guests had a great time too.

It's a great way to turn a more individual hobby into a social one.

And let's not forget, it doesn't really matter about the system, it's more about chewing the fat with like minded enthusiasts.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, awayward said:

I have wanted to have a GTG for the last year or so, I usually say to myself “after the next upgrade, my system will be better for the attendees”, this cycle never seems to end ?

i wouldnt fret, its not always about the system. people tend to spend more time yacking, drinking being merry enjoying bit of food. the hifi is usually 2nd fiddle :D  

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, evil c said:

At the risk of negativity, I have become concerned by the sudden drop off in the last few years  of GTG's!

Others have discussed it with me as well.

I hold one often around once a Month, and despite many people saying they'll have to hold one - never appears to happen.

Don't get me wrong, there are a handful of members who hold one every now and then - however nowhere near enough for such a large forum like this!

With the increasing amount of new members joining Stereonet, many of which are in major cities of Australia - GTG's are a perfect chance for them to introduce themselves and to listen to sound systems in a home environment away from the pressures of Hifi retail stores.

Hell, it was the way I met many of the characters on SNA and formed long standing friendships!

I just feel we need to occasionally look inwardly at ourselves and strive to improve - Melbourne Audio Club of which I am a member holds Monthly GTG meetings at members homes in several different genres.

Maybe we need subsidizing to be motivated enough to hold them - although we could copy MAC's format of bring a plate and easing expense.

Thoughts invited??

Mods @Marc @:) al @wolster

The good news over here in SA is that we definitely keep the flame alive.

I guess the problem of late is we have formed a group who have become friends and we tend to do the rounds of each other's stuff as we make changes to our systems. We originally kept expanding the group but we have become a little comfortable of late. To be honest, half the time the hifi barely gets a look in.

We had a grand plan for an introduction to hifi demo  open invite in a pub or similar but lost motivation. The unfortunate truth is ,working, older, family folk lack the time and energy that exists when younger. This is exactly why we need to get the next generation involved. I see a greater chance of that with the youth of today, hifi is cool and hip, far enough removed from their parents generation to be back in. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kab said:

Not speaking for myself but......WAF....Wife Allowance Factor?......:oops:

Sorry been tied up in kitchen on dinner duties! :ermm:

I did suspect that was part of the problem - you p$ssies at their beck and call ! :rolleyes:

45 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Guilty as charged Evil one. Mine shall be soon.....

You're on notice! ;) ( smokey pulled Pork , oh and some of that delicious Marinated Chicken Thigh I gave you the recipe for! :tongue:)

43 minutes ago, Ooogh said:

The good news over here in SA is that we definitely keep the flame alive.

I guess the problem of late is we have formed a group who have become friends and we tend to do the rounds of each other's stuff as we make changes to our systems. We originally kept expanding the group but we have become a little comfortable of late. To be honest, half the time the hifi barely gets a look in.

We had a grand plan for an introduction to hifi demo  open invite in a pub or similar but lost motivation. The unfortunate truth is ,working, older, family folk lack the time and energy that exists when younger. This is exactly why we need to get the next generation involved. I see a greater chance of that with the youth of today, hifi is cool and hip, far enough removed from their parents generation to be back in. 

I did prevaricate on putting my GTG thread under Australian wide GTG's but didn't know the GTG situation of each State!

Therefore you're off the hook Interstater"s, although if the shoe fits - - - - -- :D

Might have to resort to travelling further afield to get my GTG fix!

Well it helps if you live south of the sun and mild weather, as GTG's are good shared fun in the bleaker colder windier wetter wordier overpopulated climes.

Which cuts out about everybody north of lets say Coffs Harbour and Carnarvon and Maree as it's a bit warmer up thata ways and we have better fishing(well maybe not Maree admittedly) and there's so much more to do when your biggest clothes choice of a morning is: Umm, warm shorts or cold shorts?

Pulled pork, baked cakes, fires, ridiculous beards,rabbitohs,inner city types,...pfft.

Compare that with with no mobile ph coverage, dial up internet, DVD's of the Eagles and Elton John and fires that actually burn wood and not gas with fake logs.

Hurrumph!

TT's that you can stack 4...yup, 4 lps and they just drop automatically and the arm lifts up too at the end!!!!

Excuse me I just heard dinner clacking about outside, I think it's a brush chicken. I argued the point quite well last time the ranger dropped round and accused me of killing Brush Turkeys...no comparison I said. Come in and taste some chicken pie...yes, yes,he said. They are big buggers the chickens up here.

Yes. I can well understand the way people get mixed up though.

*See? That's why we don't have many GTG's up here in the boonies. Too much to do, too many distractions.(Was that a furry thing? Can we eat it?/ Dunno. Lets find out...)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Luc said:

Well it helps if you live south of the sun and mild weather, as GTG's are good shared fun in the bleaker colder windier wetter wordier overpopulated climes.

Which cuts out about everybody north of lets say Coffs Harbour and Carnarvon and Maree as it's a bit warmer up thata ways and we have better fishing(well maybe not Maree admittedly) and there's so much more to do when your biggest clothes choice of a morning is: Umm, warm shorts or cold shorts?

Pulled pork, baked cakes, fires, ridiculous beards,rabbitohs,inner city types,...pfft.

Compare that with with no mobile ph coverage, dial up internet, DVD's of the Eagles and Elton John and fires that actually burn wood and not gas with fake logs.

Hurrumph!

TT's that you can stack 4...yup, 4 lps and they just drop automatically and the arm lifts up too at the end!!!!

Excuse me I just heard dinner clacking about outside, I think it's a brush chicken. I argued the point quite well last time the ranger dropped round and accused me of killing Brush Turkeys...no comparison I said. Come in and taste some chicken pie...yes, yes,he said. They are big buggers the chickens up here.

Yes. I can well understand the way people get mixed up though.

*See? That's why we don't have many GTG's up here in the boonies. Too much to do, too many distractions.(Was that a furry thing? Can we eat it?/ Dunno. Lets find out...)

Lost causes excluded of course! :rolleyes:

Edited by evil c
  • Like 1

• Administrator

My thoughts. And I wouldn't know any of you at all if it weren't for those early (and semi-regular) GTGs - particularly Clive, where I met most of you long before the Hi-Fi shows got off the ground.

One of the problems is that as members have gotten to know one another more its become a little clique in Victoria, and a lot of the GTGs have gone underground. Ie. Invite only and via PM.

The other problem, and I'm still very saddened by this - I had a camera lens accidentally taken by a member of StereoNET at one of my last GTGs. I still maintain it was accidentally taken as I would hate to think it was stolen. Sadly, despite posting up in the GTG thread, it never emerged.

I built my room with the intention of it being a semi-regular location of GTGs, and I even named it the Open Invite Room in my build thread. I have been very reluctant to host an open invitation since. Which comes back to my first concern raised above, then.

I would personally like to see GTGs get off the ground once more. I will do my best and put up a thread for one for when I return from Auckland in two weeks. However, I will be only allowing two new or unknown members to attend. And I will be limiting the GTG to 12 people. I feel more comfortable opening my home to people with those few criteria in place.

• Like 12

22 minutes ago, Marc said:

My thoughts. And I wouldn't know any of you at all if it weren't for those early (and semi-regular) GTGs - particularly Clive, where I met most of you long before the Hi-Fi shows got off the ground.

One of the problems is that as members have gotten to know one another more its become a little clique in Victoria, and a lot of the GTGs have gone underground. Ie. Invite only and via PM.

The other problem, and I'm still very saddened by this - I had a camera lens accidentally taken by a member of StereoNET at one of my last GTGs. I still maintain it was accidentally taken as I would hate to think it was stolen. Sadly, despite posting up in the GTG thread, it never emerged.

I built my room with the intention of it being a semi-regular location of GTGs, and I even named it the Open Invite Room in my build thread. I have been very reluctant to host an open invitation since. Which comes back to my first concern raised above, then.

I would personally like to see GTGs get off the ground once more. I will do my best and put up a thread for one for when I return from Auckland in two weeks. However, I will be only allowing two new or unknown members to attend. And I will be limiting the GTG to 12 people. I feel more comfortable opening my home to people with those few criteria in place.

Interesting points Marc - yes the "old complacency creeping in" scenario plus private gigs! 

I put up a few open invitations on SNA and found always seemed to be predominantly the usual crowd, so have had fewer publicized GTG's.

It is unforgivable that any opportunistic pilfering on any level should occur - takes me back to some decadent parties in my youth where unsavory characters behaved badly at my place, but in these times it's hard to reconcile how it could happen.

Fully understand, and feel opening your doors to a few new members is more than fair and generous!

I hope everyone takes this discussion in the right frame of mind - I want it to remain positive to improving Stereonet as a resource / religion /Reason for life! :D

• Like 3

Guest Hensa

@Marc - Well I would certainly hope it was “accidentally” taken and I commend your glass is half full approach”! I too would be reluctant to host if similar had happened.

In Sydney, there are fairly regular (though not enough) GTGs hosted by a number of members (@scuzzii, @ABG, @Viognier, @PKay) and it’s less about the system and more about listening to new and varied music and having a few laughs over copious amounts of alcohol and food. Always great fun and always a great bunch  of friends. People usually have limited space (as well as time) and it’s often the same crew of attendees and organised through PM. Ours has also become more about members getting together for live gigs and we even organised a fantastic craft brewery tour so it’s expanded well beyond hi-fi and domestic GTGs.

One of my favourite GTGs was the @joz hosted one on last year’s Show weekend. I hope another similar event is organised for this year’s show as it was a great day and excellent to meet members from Vic, SA and even WA.

Kudos to you, Clive, for getting things revved up in Melbourne! Looking forward to the annual dinner event and hopefully a GTG in October! Oh, and the Hi-Fi Show of course!?

Edited by Hensa

Great topic Clive. I'm guilty as charged of becoming part of a comfortable clique. Once June is over and the Yammy is sorted I will make a weekend where I can kick Mrs G and little G out of the house for few hours and see if we can rouse up a few new faces.

I haven't hosted a "public" GTG for a few years now, but I have regular GTG's. All of them are from member's PM'ing me asking about my system. More than happy for you to come over and chew the fat. I am starting to think it is better to have maybe 3-4 over at a time. In the past I would have 10-15. I get to know you better, and I have time to chat to you ... instead of fretting over whether the food will be ready. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, yamaha_man said:

Still plenty of GTG’s in Warrnambool, I just don’t want to invite you! ?

Hell i would't even invite myself to my own gtg.

This is a good topic by the evil one who I met briefly at the show last year I doubt he'd remember me I was the guy spending 5 minutes in every room because I had to leave so quickly something I won't be doing this year 3 day pass woohoo and half price to boot thank you Marc.

I wouldn't mind doing a regular GTG at my place for me I like the social aspect of it the system and music come second, sacrilege I know but that's me, to be honest I don't have a flash house or the most amazing system I can't invite large groups I only have a 3 seater lounge in the "Bat cave" however I am open to holding the occasional GTG.

Let's be honest though who want's to come to this "cold as a witch's tiit" place anyway? 

• Like 1

Ok in the spirit of the old stereo net I will put up my hand for a gtg SE Melbourne either the third or fourth week of July.

Long promised and overdue because of renovations

Edited by CraigC
  • Like 5

Guest yamaha_man
8 hours ago, CraigC said:

Ok in the spirit of the old stereo net I will put up my hand for a gtg SE Melbourne either the third or fourth week of July.

Long promised and overdue because of renovations

If your avatar will be there I’m in!!!!!!!

Guest Misterioso

My view: just too much effort. Expectations are high because previous GTGs (joz!) more resembled a grand feast than an informal GTG among hifi aficionados. The bars were set high (which, of course, is great but makes it hard to follow). Therefore, I like @Roland P.'s idea:

Back to the roots. Music and gear first. Small scale.