Made my first batch of salami for the year today. This is my third attempt with the first being good, the second not so good so hopefully third times a charm.

IMG_3612.JPG

IMG_3613.JPG

IMG_3614.JPG

Edited by Tubularbells
  • Like 6
  • Love 2

And for those curious about the recipe....

•    3kg pork collar butt
    •    90 grams kosher salt (3%)
    •    3.6g curing salt #2
    •    20 grams brown sugar
    •    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    •    1 tablespoon Fennel seed
    •    2 tablespoons ground black pepper
    •    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    •    1 tablespoons hot smoked paprika
    •    2 tablespoons sweet paprika
    •    2 tablespoons Mild Crushed Paprika
    •    2 tablespoons crushed chilli flakes
    •    1/4 cup Paprika Relish Hot (Marco Polo brand)
    •    1/3 cup red wine (Jacobs Creek double barrel)

Amazing.

Old man often tells of times when he was a kid and the Italian cane cutters used to come and turn the old corrugated iron laundries into smoking sheds for the salamis, he reckoned you didn't stand still too long or you would end up in one.

Best he's ever tasted he reckons.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, :) al said:

my ... you have been busy ! these look SO professional !!!

.....you clearly haven't tasted it yet hahaha

My next batch is the one im really looking forward to as it will be a true bum burner unlike all those others you see at markets etc. as i'll be using a mix of Carolina Reapers, Scorpions & Habanero's that I picked earlier this year. Might bring some to the next GTG for a few laughs ☠️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

.....you clearly haven't tasted it yet hahaha

My next batch is the one im really looking forward to as it will be a true bum burner unlike all those others you see at markets etc. as i'll be using a mix of Carolina Reapers, Scorpions & Habanero's that I picked earlier this year. Might bring some to the next GTG for a few laughs ☠️

Dougs toilet door the next morning.

Sweet jeezuz make it stopp!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Second batch done today and time to spice things up a bit :devil:

Half is orange Habanero chilli that I picked earlier in the year whale the other half is Cayenne chilli. Mixture then cold smoked in applewood for 30mins before casing. Also started a Prosciutto with a pork leg all salted up and dry brining for the next 6 days before that gets hung for at least 5 months. 

IMG_3630.JPG

IMG_3622.JPG

• Like 4

1 minute ago, metal beat said:

Frank gets a full pig and starts the process there.

Wow. That is what I call commitment😀

51 minutes ago, rantan said:

Wow. That is what I call commitment😀

32 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Hardcore!

yea, the pig / salami is shared between 3-4 families.  My wife's Italian family have been doing it for 40+ years.  the Uncle makes his own red vino as well :hiccup

my wife just txt'd me and says we are getting a female baby pig in 6 weeks to fatten it up for next year.   Not sure I could eat Peter the pig after feeding it for 12 months.

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 2

Hey lads, I actually told a fib.  Wife's Uncle Frank had 4 pigs for this years salami.  The most he has ever had.  a few photo's.

should be able to start eating in a week or so.

42064561635_e2d12117cd_b.jpg

42064562375_71abf53a57_b.jpg

42064561625_247bdd503c_b.jpg

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 4
  • Administrators
17 minutes ago, metal beat said:

should be able to start eating in a week or so. 

That early? We normally can't eat our family salami for at least 5-6 weeks.

We're all booked in for a fortnight. Nothing better than the morning tea, which consists of frying up the salami mix and putting it on Ciabatta bread. Yum.

@Luc - are you coming to the show this year? We trading salami again?

6 hours ago, Marc said:

We're all booked in for a fortnight. Nothing better than the morning tea, which consists of frying up the salami mix and putting it on Ciabatta bread. Yum.

yep, that's what my wife tells me.       they have a few different types, so not sure if one salami type is ready earlier than others.

Edited by metal beat

• Administrators

Yeah the Capocollo (or similar) will probably be ready then. The salami would still be too raw IMO though.

10 hours ago, Marc said:

Most definitely boss! Tickets bought - tick

Airfares paid - tick

Purple boots cleaned and ready - tick

Salami...hmm, I'll see what I can find amongst my salami making acquaintances, has been some  slightly above ordinary smoked Spanish style charcuterie around the place.

*I'm with you on how long you leave your new  salami before eating it. The longer the better  for me personally.

**My daughter is flying up for Splendour in The Grass in a few weeks time and will arrive with several metres of a smoky cabana we found at the Sth Melb markets. No where in Australia do they do cabana as well as they do it in Bleak City. 

On ‎24‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 9:41 AM, Luc said:

Most definitely boss! Tickets bought - tick

Airfares paid - tick

Purple boots cleaned and ready - tick

Salami...hmm, I'll see what I can find amongst my salami making acquaintances, has been some  slightly above ordinary smoked Spanish style charcuterie around the place.

*I'm with you on how long you leave your new  salami before eating it. The longer the better  for me personally.

**My daughter is flying up for Splendour in The Grass in a few weeks time and will arrive with several metres of a smoky cabana we found at the Sth Melb markets. No where in Australia do they do cabana as well as they do it in Bleak City. 

Cant wait to hear how the salami gets smuggled to the south.

Some strange sideways looks from the metal detector attendant at least, please.

Capicola out of cure and smelling great. Never made it before so hoping it's good

IMG_3642.thumb.JPG.05165ed924216804480e97755ca00a43.JPG

Also getting braver and having a crack at a full prosciutto. 8kg leg's gone in salt today where it will remain for the next 16 days. It will then be rinsed and hung for a minimum of 6 months so its a long wait until you find out whether it was a success or not.

IMG_3641.thumb.JPG.87b36d92bfe77407a55d581f1f0cf1dd.JPG

Edited by Tubularbells
  • Like 2
Guest yamaha_man
On 21/06/2018 at 3:10 PM, Tubularbells said:

Made my first batch of salami for the year today. This is my third attempt with the first being good, the second not so good so hopefully third times a charm.

IMG_3612.JPG

IMG_3613.JPG

IMG_3614.JPG

You have just secured yourself an invite to my GTG when it’s on my good man. 🤘🏻

6 minutes ago, yamaha_man said:

You have just secured yourself an invite to my GTG when it’s on my good man. 🤘🏻

Its simply uncouth to offer another man your salami at a GTG sir.....🤣

Edited by Tubularbells
  • Administrators

Job done for another year. Including a super super hot batch modified at the last minute by yours truly that I've named deathslami.
Just 40kgs of mince this year. IMG_20180701_122349.jpgIMG_20180701_122343.jpgIMG_20180701_101122.jpg

• Administrators

Job done for another year. Including a super super hot batch modified at the last minute by yours truly that I've named deathslami.
Just 40kgs of mince this year. IMG_20180701_122349.jpgIMG_20180701_122343.jpgIMG_20180701_101122.jpg

• Like 3

"deathsalami"....love it! we will  have to compare notes against the sting of my Habenaro ring burner :devil:

Edited by Tubularbells
Just 40kgs of mince this year. IMG_20180701_122349.jpg.9a886c17be2e7fdee63a2923346e51d2.jpgIMG_20180701_122343.jpg.5577a65c147581a3e5a858c0cebee3d2.jpgIMG_20180701_101122.jpg.2a87c280ee5ff3132b187e1f9cfa16f3.jpg
Wow a "salami pit" to play in!

Let me know when they're at optimum ripened state. [emoji1]

Tried some of the sampler sticks today (Habanero & Cayenne) which  had reduced in weight by around 35%  already due to the thin casings I used and is tasting mighty fine. interestingly though im preferring the Cayenne slightly over the Habanero which is odd seeing I generally prefer the latter as my go to chilli. Still a way to go though to really bloom but really happy so far.

IMG_3660.thumb.JPG.4d01bd0f30003428f3ed181585c1449c.JPG

Prosciutto also came out of salt today and is now ready for the long ageing process.

IMG_3651.thumb.JPG.c50cd022f38a3f89d5a5d4beefd73446.JPG

Incidentally this is all hanging in the catacombs directly beneath the church (aka. listening room) so perhaps like plants it will react to some good tunes played from above 😁

IMG_3652.thumb.JPG.e520e5f1b6a2a70d0fdc9ca524348d93.JPG

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Rockford said:

How do you stop flies and stuff laying eggs and insects generally feasting on them?

The brining process tends to make the meat inhospitable to bugs, some coat in pepper or chilli to keep rodents at bay but as mine is hanging 9ft in the air that isnt an issue for me.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

The brining process tends to make the meat inhospitable to bugs, some coat in pepper or chilli to keep rodents at bay but as mine is hanging 9ft in the air that isnt an issue for me.

Yes, they are definitely well hung.

• 2 months later...

Salami and Capocollo tasting and distribution night tonight. Lost a few of the salami to uneven curing, but majority were excellent. Probably our best batch so far.

1f6afca1fff819c6e1f50b30df50e03e.jpg
58a976318c5a81d7c362d81b6749f3b3.jpg
a973ece530ec5d6db1dabe7aaf9b5be5.jpg

• Like 2