Active crossover's, who is using them ?

Guest Drizzt

Hi Guys,

Just curious as to how many people we have here using active crossovers in their setups (any combo of active crossover will do).

Even if you use a crossover only for sub integration, thats valid for this poll.

See the poll

Edited by Drizzt

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somewhere in between all 3 at the moment. Have a digital active crossover. Have an analogue active crossover. Also have my passive crossover. So far, I like the results of my passive crossover the best, but it's early days yet.

Choice 3 is the one you want then :D None of the options exclude passive crossovers.

Keep with it Keith. I think if you invest the time into that DEQX of yours you will get the results your after. Just my opinion anyways. I haven't even heard a system with a DEQX so what would I know :confused:

I forgot to mention. For those that answer please tell use what active crossovers you are using.

Mine are SGR analogue active crossovers. Temporary ones that is until Stuart finally finishes my MT3FSL's :confused:

what's the definition of an active cross-over for this poll?

Is it the position of the amplifier in relation to the cross-over circuit(s)?

So by "Active" do you mean the cross-over is prior to the amplifier circuit(s) and hence passive means that the cross-over circuit is after the amplifier?

That is correct.

Active means the crossover comes before amplification.

what's the definition of an active cross-over for this poll?

Is it the position of the amplifier in relation to the cross-over circuit(s)?

So by "Active" do you mean the cross-over is prior to the amplifier circuit(s) and hence passive means that the cross-over circuit is after the amplifier?

I think that was the intention. Perhaps it would have been clearer to state line level active (both analogue and digital) versus speaker level passive crossovers. C'est la vie.

YS

Not meaning to be rude, but I was unaware there was any other forum of active? I thought active was always at line level? Have I missed an option ?

If its before amplification then its active :confused:

I thought an active xover had its own power supply .Because you can line level passive xover before the amplifiers .

Cheers

Not meaning to be rude, but I was unaware there was any other forum of active? I thought active was always at line level? Have I missed an option ?

No mate. I think the confusion is between "active" and "line level" since the latter can also exist in passive form (as well as analogue and digital as you rightly specified). Nothing wrong with your poll options.

YS

I thought an active xover had its power supply .Because you can line level passive xover before the amplifiers .

Cheers

Im pretty sure that anything that comes after amplification is considered passive.

Line level before amplification is known as active as far as I know. Can you link to something that explains otherwise? Theres analogue active crossovers and digital active crossovers that all occur before amplification as far as I am aware. Perhaps I'm mistaken ???

No mate. I think the confusion is between "active" and "line level" since the latter can also exist in passive form (as well as analogue and digital as you rightly specified). Nothing wrong with your poll options.

YS

Sorry, I must be having a blonde moment. How can you have a line level passive crossover? Can you please give an example ?

I know wikipedia is not definitive, but....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_crossover

An active crossover contains active components (i.e., those with gain) in its filters. In recent years, the most commonly used active device is an op-amp; active crossovers are operated at levels suited to power amplifier inputs in contrast to passive crossovers which operate after the power amplifier's output, at high current and in some cases high voltage.

I must be missing something as they seem like analogue active crossovers to me? Whats different?

A line level passive crossover uses capacitors, inductors and resistors as per a speaker level passive crossover but in the former case the individual component values are smaller and therefore insertion loss is theoretically lower. The advantages of direct coupling of a dedicated amplifier channel to its respective driver is the same regardless of passive or active line level filter implementations.

YS

I might be tired but I don't understand. Whats the exact difference between a passive line level crossover and an active line level crossover. What you describe still seems like an active crossover to me. I hope this doesn't make me look stupid :confused:

A line level passive crossover uses capacitors, inductors and resistors as per a speaker level passive crossover but in the former case the individual component values are smaller and therefore insertion loss is theoretically lower. The advantages of direct coupling of a dedicated amplifier channel to its respective driver is the same regardless of passive or active line level filter implementations.

YS

owww, very nice. I look forward to reading about your opinions on the Seatons once they arrive.

Tannoy Elipse active three way studio monitors x 5.

Soon to be complemented with Seaton Submersive.