Marc

AMAZON PRIME LAUNCHES IN AUSTRALIA

On 20/06/2018 at 8:50 AM, proftournesol said:

Prime video has some of the uniformly worst movies I've ever partially seen. There are a few gems there though live the excellent Man In The High Castle

Agree. I have been watching this show and it is very good.  Half way through series 2.

What is series 3 like?         I have seen some negative reviews

5 hours ago, metal beat said:

Agree. I have been watching this show and it is very good.  Half way through series 2.

What is series 3 like?         I have seen some negative reviews

I'm halfway through season 3. More of the same - what makes that good, also makes that bad

I have just started watching Bosch on prime. 

Seems like a well written edgy cop drama.

39 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Bosch is a quirky show but he's cool dude--big Vinyl man too--you will see his TT/System in couple of episodes.

Willco

Amazon Oz prices are utter ball sheet 

check this out Gaia 2 isolators $790 , a quick google gets the price down to $425 from local hifi shops 

mofi record inner sheets $72 for 50, can be had for $45 locally 

5 hours ago, cafe67 said:

Amazon Oz prices are utter ball sheet 

check this out Gaia 2 isolators $790 , a quick google gets the price down to $425 from local hifi shops 

mofi record inner sheets $72 for 50, can be had for $45 locally 

Hardly shop there these days

On 30/11/2018 at 9:42 AM, metal beat said:

Yeah great series of books too.

And of course we get screwed in Australia still, even though this is a prime series. When prime launched here, seasons 3 and 4 weren't available. Now season 3 is, but not 4 yet. Idiotic.

28 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Yeah great series of books too.

And of course we get screwed in Australia still, even though this is a prime series. When prime launched here, seasons 3 and 4 weren't available. Now season 3 is, but not 4 yet. Idiotic.

Agree that we can't watch S4 on Prime.

I think S4 is on SBS.

BTW, anyone with Aus Prime and an Apple TV 4k manage to get atmos from any show? I'm keep hearing Jack Ryan is atmos in prime, but when I look at the UI I'm only seeing 5.1 listed on the title, and when I play it, just 5.1. I have the atv4k setup and it shows enhanced audio, atmos enabled, but never seen it anywhere. I'm just wondering if our prime is cut down. 

I must admit I've not been impressed with image quality either. I'm only on netflix HD, but the image in general looks better than prime.

I just watched Jack Ryan series 2

Very enjoyable,  stylistic polished american spy series. By focusing on Venezuela with all it's real issues it brings a degree of realism in to some very unrealistic parts in the script. 

Overall, very enjoyable, well made spy fiction

I had Prime Video for a short while early last year as it was essentially free since I get a free twitch channel subscription with it, but very quickly cancelled it because of all the flat-out misinformational, often home-made, toxic garbage they were broadcasting in their 'documentary' section (which is basically the only kind of 'TV content' I consume these days.) I even emailed them to enquire about it and the person or machine who replied gave me a copy-pasta about 'unfortunately our content cannot align with everyone's tastes'.

Also agree that you can usually find things cheaper than any AmazonAU listings with 30seconds on google.

Edited by SkipEsquire

On 09/04/2019 at 8:41 AM, Mobe1969 said:

I must admit I've not been impressed with image quality either. I'm only on netflix HD, but the image in general looks better than prime.

I have noticed that when you start playing an episode of whatever show, that the video quality starts out really bad and then improves after a short while. Not as good as Netflix though.

I found myself watching Undone today. Normally, I avoid rotoscope like a plague, I was sure that I'd watch 5 minutes at best. 10 binge watched episodes later...

It's excellent, ambiguous ending that makes you do the work, excellent script and very well acted. 

Amazon is an amazing mixture of complete utter crap and jewels, kielbasa's this, The Expanse, and Fleabag. Its much less even than Netflix but the best shows are better

On 09/04/2019 at 8:41 AM, Mobe1969 said:

BTW, anyone with Aus Prime and an Apple TV 4k manage to get atmos from any show? I'm keep hearing Jack Ryan is atmos in prime, but when I look at the UI I'm only seeing 5.1 listed on the title, and when I play it, just 5.1. I have the atv4k setup and it shows enhanced audio, atmos enabled, but never seen it anywhere. I'm just wondering if our prime is cut down. 

No.  Just 5.1 for me too.  I have been wondering if it detects that my TV is not 4k so makes the assumption I don't want ATMOS,  which is dumb.  But then Netflix "bundle" ATMOS with the premium subscription so they sort of make the same assumption.

I am about 3 episodes into Carnival Row.    VERY well made and enjoyable so far.

Anyone started watching The Hunters? Pacino is excellent, already binged two episodes. Nazis are bad!

I'm testing Amazon Prime, Prime Video, whatever you call it, and I'm stumped that I don't get the option in Oz to rent a title. However, if I login to the US site, it shows me the option to pay for a rental.

Movie-wise it's meh, there's some hits and misses. Series-wise it looks pretty good, I enjoyed Jack Ryan and Good Omens, still need to give Picard a look, plus some other shows. And I'm re-running Community.

Anyone been able to rent a flick using Amazon? I don't mind paying as long as it's available.

Cheers,

Alberto

20 minutes ago, betocool said:

I'm testing Amazon Prime, Prime Video, whatever you call it, and I'm stumped that I don't get the option in Oz to rent a title. However, if I login to the US site, it shows me the option to pay for a rental.

Movie-wise it's meh, there's some hits and misses. Series-wise it looks pretty good, I enjoyed Jack Ryan and Good Omens, still need to give Picard a look, plus some other shows. And I'm re-running Community.

Anyone been able to rent a flick using Amazon? I don't mind paying as long as it's available.

Cheers,

Alberto

hi alberto its a prime membership here :) its not a lot ( i get it more for the free shipping including from overseas) ... there is a a bit of variety... like netflix i guess... they promote their own "studio" productions ....

I binge watched The Test. Brilliant 8 episode doco on the rebuilding of the Aussie cricket team after sandpaper gate. Well worth a look if you are even a moderate cricket fan... @Luc

5 hours ago, blybo said:

I binge watched The Test. Brilliant 8 episode doco on the rebuilding of the Aussie cricket team after sandpaper gate. Well worth a look if you are even a moderate cricket fan... @Luc

Saw it advertised Neil and I'll grab it on(cough) another place😉

On 23/02/2020 at 9:31 PM, Raffinator said:

Anyone started watching The Hunters? Pacino is excellent, already binged two episodes. Nazis are bad!

Finished it. There are twists.... oh boy there are twists.

On 09/04/2019 at 6:41 AM, Mobe1969 said:

Just 5.1 sadly...

BTW has anyone managed to get BR discs to ship free from USA? 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, petetherock said:

Just 5.1 sadly...

BTW has anyone managed to get BR discs to ship free from USA? 

Yes, plenty (and other stuff), and quite often. It is fantastic when there is no min, but even when a $49 min it is fine.

I did manage to get Atmos for Jack Ryan eventually, but never really got into the series.

Edited by Mobe1969

I've just finished watching Tales From the Loop, excellent from start to finish and most 'un-American': character driven science-fiction, a slow pace, almost dream like, no wizz-bang special effects, and a great soundtrack. I really slowed down for the last few episodes as I didn't want it to end.

Amazon Prime really is a strange streaming service, the offerings are either fabulous or dreadful, not much in between. Most of their own stuff is really, really good, the rest are the movies that Netflix rejects

I have prime mostly for the free post but the Mrs and I do get reasonable value out of the Prime Video stuff too. A few things we've enjoyed recently were:

Lots of Terry Pratchett stuff; Good Omens , The Colour Of Magic , Hogfather , Going Postal too but it doesn't appear to be available anymore.

The House That Jack Built ,  really dark serial killer movie.

Green Book , odd-couple movie based (potentially loosely lol) on the experiences of black classical pianist Dr Donald Shirley touring the deep south. Not much music but was better than I first expected.

Comrade Detective , 6 part buddy cop series from soviet Romania that's been rescued, remastered and overdubbed in English. Cold war anti-american propaganda. It's not for everyone but I enjoyed the comedy of all the unironic 'You did the right thing informing on your own family' and 'Romania best X in the world'..

Also lots and lots and LOTS of episodes of Monk -.- Mrs loves it for some reason..