cooling fan for my onkyo is it needed

i have an onkyo tx sr 307 , it runs pretty hot which on the label says is normal , it has caused problems with my technics speakers , ive hooked back my sony satelittes , they sound pretty good , what i want to know is should i purchase a small fan to keep it cool as i party hard and it may run for 24 hours sometimes

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep ive repositioned it it has full vent now before when my speaker blew it was a little cramped , it reallly is a hassle to send it away from a country town like mine ,m gonna give it a good work out on saturday with the sonies , if it blows one of them then ill be going off at onkyo it is under warranty

tell me how long should i be able to run it at moderate volume , i have parties that go all night , i have two recievers maybe i should make my set up so i can easily use both

can i run the same speakers to both if only one is hooked up at a time?

Edited by egosbar

yep ive repositioned it it has full vent now before when my speaker blew it was a little cramped

How did the speaker fail? Which driver/s failed? What speakers are you using? Tone control settings?

, it reallly is a hassle to send it away from a country town like mine if im gonna give it a good work out on saturday with the sonies , if it blows one of them then ill be going off at onkyo it is under warranty

tell me how long should i be able to run it at moderate volume

No way of knowing. Your idea of 'moderate volume' and mine may be very different.

, i have parties that go all night , i have two recievers maybe i should make my set up so i can easily use both

can i run the same speakers to both if only one is hooked up at a time?

No. Don't do it.

Now, here is the questions you failed to answer:

* What "problems" has the amp caused?

* How hot is "pretty hot"? (Degrees Celcius please)

* Have you CAREFULLY read the handbook, WRT cooling?

From my experience HT receivers require a lot of free air space around them, don't shut it in a display unit either. My Panasonic used to cut out when run for more than about 5 hours due to these exact reasons It looked good in the cupboard had 6inches of space above it and I had cut holes in the shelf below it for added air flow, but because the door was closed it would overheat and I'd get a fault message on the display. Now it is out of the unit on a shelf it doesn't overheat at all.

no its definitely going to have free air , the amp may have caused my speaker to fail , the speaker started to sound terrible for about 5 seconds then no sound at all , i will measure the heat with a thermometer on saturday night , do you want me to measure the hottest part of the casing ?

yes ive read the book a lot now , im no expert but i understand a little more then i did , and i have given it the appropriate space , it was in a cabinet with about two inches of head space , but i would pull it half way out of cabinet if i was playing for more then an hour or so

the speakers were old technics 8 ohms so should not have had a problem

the sattlelites are quite good little sonies

the tone settings were flat equalisation , plus 4 treble with minus 2 bass , only difference now is i have a sub as well for the small speakers which runs at about half setting

the speakers were old technics 8 ohms so should not have had a problem

What is the maximum power rating of the speakers? Model number?

the sattlelites are quite good little sonies

Power rating?

Brand?

Model number?

the tone settings were flat equalisation , plus 4 treble with minus 2 bass , only difference now is i have a sub as well for the small speakers which runs at about half setting

OK.

should i measure the heat on the casing of the reciever of inside the reciever , i have a thermometer i use to measure my water temp for my dough on my pizzas , its a rod thermomter so should do the job

Measure the temperature at the hottest part on the top of the case, when operating for am hour or sop, at typical levels. If you measure more than 50 degrees C, then you should arrange extra cooling. A fan placed at the top of the cabinet sucking air out is your best bet. Don't waste your time with fans smaller than 120mm.

If you're playing it loud and the amp is being over driven you will damage the speakers because the amp will be clipping and this is not good at all. Especially if the input is a poorly recorded signal and you start to wind it up you can pop the speakers as speakers don't like square waves and that is what the amp will start producing as the extremities of the signal get cut off. I am not familiar with your Onkyo, what is it's rated output? and how far do you turn it up?

If your volume pot is up around the nearly max mark then you are likely introducing clipping.

the speaker that blew , technics model sb 2415 8 ohm 70w

the sonies are ss v345 8ohm 110 w

after about an hour on 38 it measured 40 degrees , i play it up to 45-50 and sometimes 55 , i was hoping to be able to limit it to around 50 and under but cant find anything in the book

1. Why do you want a noisy fan running to cool your amp.

2. Running a fan with an amp that is clearly not designed for one is likely to create more problems than it solves.

Onkyo is not a bad product. Those amps don't have a habit of just overheating for the sake of it. People dont spend hundreds (up to thousands) on an amp that needs a D.I.Y. tack-on fan to keep it running. You need to find the cause of the heat problems rather than patch/band-aid "fixes" that will create more problems than they solve.

To this end, look at:

1. Are you running the amp in a cupboard or enclosed space - if so, get it out!

2. Are you running the amp with not enough space for ventilation - if so, allow it room to breathe

3. Are you running too many speakers at the same time - if so, reduce it to specification (read the manual)

4. Is something emitting heat below your amp - if so, move it.

5. Is there a problem with the amp - if so, get it fixed.

Edited by amey01

problem is not me turning it up its people drunk when partyiny which is why id like to set a max of around 50 , it is not in an enclosed space , there is plenty of room to breathe , i run two speakers and a sub , no heat below amp , in small country towns its not easy to have them repaired or looked at

you will not hear a small fan sucking the heat out im sure that it couldnt hurt , i like to party for long periods again why i want to keep the volume at a level it wont hurt anything , why do onkyo make an amp that will blow speakers that are rated at 8 ohm the amp is 6 ohm so no problem why dont they cut out if clipping occurs etc

ive dead set seen so many problems with speakers and amps only since i hooked up with digital optical ,im going back to rca leads had no problem before and done the same thing

The optical signal is possibly of larger amplitude causing the amp to distort and damage the speakers, I don't think it is the fault of the amp or Onkyo would have serious market problems.

yep im heading back to rca leads and see how they go

Okay - let's just get this straight.

You have a problem with speakers blowing? RCA leads or any other cable will not change this. Nor will the heat in your amp or placing a fan on top.

What makes speakers blow is DC - that is, when the amp is driven past it's ability to generate sinewave (music) it clips that signal and sends DC (at the maximum rated output) to the speakers. That will blow any speaker pretty well immediately.

What also happens just before clipping is that the signal composition will change. Where a speaker is rated at (say 100w) it means that (for normal music) the woofer might be getting 95w and the tweeter 5w. Just before clipping, this output changes to about 50/50. So you can see what will happen if you are using 50w amp with your "100w" speakers - suddenly the tweeter will be getting 25w (when it is rated to about 5w) and again - it will blow instantly.

I don't quite know what you are trying to achieve by this. You've asked for advice - you've been given a lot of great advice - you choose to ignore it all and swap to interconnect cable to try to stop your speakers blowing. I don't get it.

I too tried to offer some advice, but now it is clearer. The problem is drunken people in your house that have no respect for your property.

So now I'm in a place to offer some more advice. Maybe you could:

* Lock the amplifier in a VENTILATED enclosure

* Purchase some amplified PA speakers like Mackie, JBL or Ramsa that are designed to handle this sort of abuse (and will go DAMN LOUD too)

or just don't invite disrespectful people to your house!

Edited by amey01