Sign in to follow this  
proftournesol

MESH home networks

My home wifi network is driving me crazy in a number of ways. My house acts as a giant Faraday cage with poor internal wifi penetration, so I've added a Netgear wifi range extender at the other end of the house. I've tried setting it up as an access point as it's connected to an ethernet port behind my stereo rack and I can then hardwire the TV, Mac mini, and Panasonic UHD player, but for some reason, the Netgear gateway router (at the other end of the ethernet cable) can't find the range extender (surprise surprise). It also means that I have 4 networks around the house, 2GHz, and 5 GHz, main wifi modem and range extender. There's still variable coverage inside the house with signal strength around -55dBm at the farthest end from the modems. There's no network password as the signal strength is undetectable way before the fenceline. I can barely get 1 bar of 2GHz connection with the car parked in the carport adjacent to the house (useful for car firmware upgrades)

I was wondering if a mesh network would simplify things? No changing wifi connections in different parts of the house depending on signal strength. Does anyone have any experience with mesh in a domestic setting? I think that 1 problem for me will be that I've 4 wired connections from my remote data point and I'm not sure if there are any mesh devices with 4 ethernet ports.

Any other ideas?

Am using top model (tri band) of Netgear Orbi at home.

http://www.netgear.com.au/orbi/

It solved dead spots in the 2 storeys house and I now have only 1 wifi spot to connect for all the bands. The connection between the base and satellite is very fast. 

Each of the units have 3 ethernet ports that you can connect to. If you want more, maybe add a switch?  Or buy an additional satellite ?  

Note that some mesh networks are dual band only. Have a look at this Aust review

https://www.smh.com.au/technology/netgear-orbi-review-the-easy-way-to-get-whole-house-wi-fi-20180430-p4zccz.html

2 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

Ubiquiti UniFi  👍

+1. 

There's cheaper stuff out there if you just want to run managed WiFi from multiple access points on Ethernet with one network. Needs more setup expertise though.

Netgear Orbi or Zyxel Multy X, Netgear is faster on 2.4Ghz where Zyxel is faster on 5Ghz but differences are small so main difference remains price... Ubiquiti UniFi is limited to N standard and AmpliFi is slow compared to Netgear or Zyxel   

Im using a Ubiqity Amplifi HD .It has 4 ethernet ports and can mesh as well . Boosted my WiFi signal considerably . Depending on how its set up (bridge mode) will be seen as another network or the same address as modem 

I set my Amplifi system up this morning. I'd set aside at least half an hour to get it working. I was done in 5 minutes, 3 minutes of that was updating the system firmware. Everything works, it's fast, no black spots. It even has high WAF. The only minor negative is that it won't allow you to set it up without a password, that's a good thing for most people but as we are surrounded by cows I have never bothered.

Impressed.

I ended up with Zyxel Multy X, both units are aprox 8m (recommended is 10-15m) apart through concrete ceiling and brick wall, I couldn't believe what I was looking at when I saw that transfer speed (8GB file sent from PC to NAS), finally solution with real life performance not just toilet paper full of specs :laugh: , entire house (both floors) finally covered with 5G without blind spots under one ssid :thumbsup:

IMG_1168.thumb.JPG.2c4eb753d40c7a8f8aaa0f646f4f9ff9.JPG

IMG_1170.thumb.JPG.5ba1b2b400655985551338ce5e662d1b.JPG

1102161679_transferspeed.jpg.23eac482896c19e9b58431a808d8acb7.jpg