Bookshelf speakers for Line Magnetic tube amp?

Hi all, just looking for some recommendations for bookshelf speakers to run with my LM518 amplifier. 

I have been using Usher floorstanders, which I like very much. Due to non-hifi circumstances, I now have to move to a pair of smaller speakers, which will be sitting on a tall cabinet. 

The amp is 22wpc, so I guess I’d need something reasonably efficient? I’d also rather something with a largish cabinet, to make the transition from floorstanders a little less traumatic! Budget is around $1000, new or second hand. 

Had a quick listen to some Focal Chorus 706s yesterday, and didn’t mind them. Planning on checking out Dynaudio Emit M10s and Klipsch RP160s. I listen mainly to jazz, soulful electronica, and African music, if that makes any difference. 

Anyone got a pair of speakers that they reckon I should track down and listen to? TIA! 

Whatever speaker you consider should be matched to the measurements for the amp, Mark 2 version? which seems to be here https://www.stereophile.com/content/line-magnetic-audio-lm-518ia-integrated-amplifier-measurements

$1k used budget can get you a lot of good standmount speakers like Jamo Concert 8, older version Proac Studio 100 or Ref 2, Sonus Faber, PMC in Perth Gumtree currently, Lenehans if spend a little more. Others to consider Legend and Spendor.

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 1

Why don't you ask in the Wanted To Buy section? All the above suggestions are good ones. I am biased towards Proac, Spendor, Epos and Sonus Faber.

My LM-518 can drive nearly anything except ribbons and Maggies, but ideally you have speakers of 88dB sensitivity or above with a benign impedance curve from 4-8 ohms. I have personally tested 'used' Celestions DL4 and B&W 685 and Heco Celan XT-301 with great results. All of these cost only a few hundred bucks each.

[When your circumstances change and you consider bigger speakers think about the Spatial Holograms. Magic to me]

Just my 2c worth

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, doogie44 said:

Why don't you ask in the Wanted To Buy section? 

Good idea, I might just do that. Probably should’ve posted this in the ‘purchasing advice’ section, too. Haven’t been on the forum for a while, a bit rusty! 

I'd avoid Dynaudios.  They are normally 4 Ohms nominal impedance, which isn't the best for valves.

I used Omegas and Hoyt Bedfords with valves some time ago.  They are quite sensitive (93 dB and above) and about 10 Ohms impedance from memory.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bassline Junkie said:

I probably would’ve had a crack at those, but wrong side of the country IIRC

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Freight from Perth wouldn't be that much and the seller (deanB) is a long-standing member from whom you could buy with complete confidence.  I note your preference for jazz in your WTB ad and the Spendors would be perfect for that.

• Like 1

I heard a Line Magnetic with my Tannoy Revolution Signature and it was a very good match. I ended up getting a Bakoon as I was a bit worried about tubes at the time but the combination did sound amazing.

• Like 1

Guest deanB

Hi BJ, I've got the Spendor S3e for sale.

When I got a Line Magnetic 216, I tried it with the S3e in triode (22w) and it sounded good (nearfield, on stands). However, switching to ultralinear (38w) was very good. As was the Cymer pentode amp (80w), in fact it was seriously good.

I get that the 518 has a reputation for punching above it's 22w but Bronal's advice about finding efficient speakers is good advice. Single ended amps can get weird if stressed.

The Epos Epic suggestion on your wtb thread is worth following up.

Btw, am a big fan of Dizzee. 

PS. Stereophile measured the Epos as 90db sensitivity, minimum impedance 4.2 ohms. You could possibly find using the amps 4 ohm connection the way to go

Edited by deanB