Solidcore Doors & Raven Seals Advice

Hi,

I have 2 doors that lead into my HT room.  1 Door is an internal door, the other is hidden and leads outside.  

I am looking at the 35mm Hume Doors.   They have the cheaper SoliCore door (SCX1) which has an MDF core, but still has a Sound Rating of Rw 29 & STC 29.   Then there is the more expensive SolidCore Door (STPC) which is still 35mm but is made from a Pine Core Block.  The same Sound Rating applies.

I assume I am going for the SolidCore (STPC) door?   Since I am going to use the Raven RP8Si in a mitered config?   Also am planing on using the RP10 Perimiter Seal on the front of the timber frame surround the door and either having the metal surround painted by Raven or just paint it myself.

For the door that leads outside and never gets used as it is sitting behind a blackout curtain that is always closed I need to use a Raven weather system.   So it looks like my only options are the RP4, RP4b, and then either the RP7 or RP10 for the Perimeter Seal which will be out in the elements.

Does this sound ok?

Guest Peter the Greek

The Raven perimeter seals are rather expensive. Better off in my opinion buying the thicker rubber raven seal that Bunnings sell, attach that to a length of moulding (paint it first), close the door, and install/push into the door.

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/06/2018 at 7:41 PM, Spizz said:

...I am going to use the Raven RP8Si in a mitered config?   Also am planing on using the RP10 Perimiter Seal on the front of the timber frame surround the door and either having the metal surround painted by Raven or just paint it myself....

I installed similar products at Mrs.Feline's work, however, the products we used were heavier duty than what the Raven products look like.   The door drop was very heavy, and worked well. 

At work my door perimeter seals are lightweight - like the Raven, and don't work well (but better than nothing).  The door seals that I installed at Mrs.Feline's work were much more solid, and performed much better than the lightweight ones on my work door.  In addition, the cover could be removed, and adjustments could be made to ensure a good seal - very useful when the building moved over time.  They could be purchased in different colour aluminium, so didn't need to worry about painting.  Sorry, I don't have the details of the brand any more, they were recommended by an acoustic engineer.  I think you get what you pay for. 

Edited by audiofeline